The Real Truth

Songs in A Battlefield (3rd Book of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

 

The next night, TOP cooked up lots of dishes. He made curry, fried chicken, noodles, kimchi rice and a lot more dishes. It was as if he was feeding a family of twenty. It was a good thing they had Dae Sung who was, once again, gleefully gobbling down everything the moment he sat down to eat.

“Oi, save some food for us,” Tae Yang said, slapping his hands away from the curry. He scooped some on his plate and passed the ladle to Seung Ri who scooped for himself. “We need to eat too.”

Lia laughed. “Shameless Dae Sung Oppa is the bottomless pit,” she remarked, shaking her head. “Ah, no, I don’t want curry,” she said to Seung Ri who was about to pour curry sauce onto her rice.

“What bottomless pit?” he asked through a mouthful of meat, hurt.

“Yuck! Close your mouth!”

TOP got a forkful of veggies and put it down on his plate. When he went to get another helping of veggies, his little sister held out her plate to him to take the veggies from him. He was so surprised that he dropped the fork and it landed on the plate of vegetables with a loud clatter and the whole table went silent.

“What?” she asked.

TOP shook his head, taking the fork back. “I didn’t expect you to hold your plate out so willingly,” he explained, giving her a weird look. “I mean, usually you would put up a fight or grumble and sulk when I get veggies for you.”

She shrugged nonchalantly as everyone waited for her reply. “Well, what is the use in fighting when I’m only going to lose? I gave up fighting because at the end of the day I’m going to have to eat my veggies so I might as well just accept the truth,” she replied. When he made no move to give her the helping she asked him rather impatiently, “So are you going to give me the vegetables or do I have to get it for myself?”

Dae Sung immediately placed his palm on her forehead. “Are you coming down with a fever?” he asked her, his eyes widening. “Cos I don’t ever remember you willingly putting veggies on your plate. Are you delirious?”

“Must be from my presence since she thinks I’m so hot,” Seung Ri smirked and everyone cracked up, laughing.

Lia pretended to gag as everyone snickered. She ignored their jeers and got her own fork and took a few helpings of vegetables.

That intrigued the members of Big Bang. Why was Lia, who never willing took veggies, who would always cause a fuss whenever TOP gets veggies for her, who would sulk as she eat the greens, suddenly taking veggies for her-self? Not only that, she completely ignored the meat and took more veggies than she usually would take.

They didn’t know whether they should feel happy about it or if they should worry about it. It wasn’t like Lia. In the end they decided to let her be.

After dinner they all sat down in front of the TV to watch a Korean drama (with English subtitles so Lia could understand) for their weekly Movie Night bonding session. It was a time where all of them watch a movie together instead of locking away in their rooms. Even though they don’t say anything, just keeping their eyes on the TV, the fact that they are at least doing something together — all six of them — is enough.

Seung Ri sat on the armchair with Lia in his lap. TOP and Ji Yong sat on the sofa, stretching out so Tae Yang sat on the other armchair. Poor Dae Sung was left with only the floor. Shrugging, he took a seat on the floor, the popcorn bowl in his lap.

“Dae, turn the lights off,” TOP ordered, sitting comfortably on the sofa.

“But —”

“Go.”

Sighing, he stood up and went to turn the lights off. When he came back, the move just started and TOP and Ji Yong had the bowl of popcorn.

“Hey!” he protested.

“Shhh. It’s starting,” Lia said to him, her eyes glued to the TV.

Seung Ri chuckled, hugging her tighter and she leaned back in his chest. Tae Yang just motioned him to quickly sit down. Grumbling, Dae Sung sat on the floor. His mood lightened when Ji Yong passed the popcorn to him.

TOP was looking at the screen when he saw movements from the corner of his eyes. From the position he was sitting, if he turned his head, he’d be looking at Seung Ri and Lia. His gazed landed on them. He watched Seung Ri subtly put his hand under her shirt. He felt his heart tightened.

Lia quickly pulled his hand out and just held it in her hands. She grabbed his other hand and put it together in her hands, not once taking her eyes off the screen.

Seung Ri frowned. But TOP, who could see her face, frowned when he noticed Lia’s panic look when her boyfriend tried to slip his hand under her shirt. He was puzzled.

The first thought that came to mind was maybe Lia was shy that Seung Ri was trying to touch her in front of everyone but he dismissed it. The two of them were not exactly afraid to show minor public display like this.

His second thought was that maybe she didn’t want to be distracted from the movie. But then again he always sees Seung Ri putting his hand under her shirt and she never pushed him away and they stay quiet through the movie, undistracted.

His third thought was that maybe Lia was feeling shy about her body, thinking that she was fat and she didn’t want Seung Ri touching her fats (even though she was really skinny from all the weight she lost from not eating so much). After all, it was only natural for girls to think that they’re fat at some point in life.

That must be it, he thought. It was the most suitable answer. Sitting back in his seat, he turned back to watch the show. Dae Sung was eating all the popcorns so he snatched the bowl from his hands and began to pop them into his mouth. He turned to Lia who was eyeing him. He handed the bowl to her.

She took it and gave it to Seung Ri instead. TOP watched as he munched them down but Lia didn’t touch it.

“You don’t want popcorn?” he asked her.

She made a face. “Fattening,” she replied. “Don’t want to get fat.”

That confirmed his third thought.

“What fat?” Seung Ri said, pinching her cheeks. “My girlfriend is not fat. Even so, I don’t mind a little tummy.” He made a move to pinch her on the stomach but she quickly took his hands away.

“Don’t touch my fats!” she yelled.

Seung Ri was taken aback by her abrupt behavior. But then he shook his head. “Girls,” he sighed.

Lia rolled her eyes. “Idiots,” she retorted. She grimaced. “I ate a lot for dinner. I feel fat.”

“You’re not fat.” He paused. “Although I do congratulate you for eating slightly more than you used to,” he said sincerely.

She giggled.

“Shhh,” Ji Yong said.

“They’re getting to the good part,” Tae Yang added.

“I want popcorn,” Dae Sung, who felt like he had to say something, chimed in.

“Shut up,” TOP replied, whacking him on the head with the pillow.

They all quieted down and turned back to watch the show.

 

The next day Big Bang had no schedules but they were all too tired from going to sleep the night before so they decided to sleep in and not plan anything unless they have something they want to do.

They all slept in until twelve noon. When they wake up, they headed for brunch. TOP was too lazy to cook. After lunch they came back to just do their own stuff. Ji Yong was in his room writing another song for them. Tae Yang took the dogs out for a walk. Seung Ri and Dae Sung were seated in front of the television playing a fighting game on the Xbox. Lia was in her room, reading her storybook. TOP didn’t know what to do so he sat with the two younger members and watched them as they play for awhile.

He looked at the wall clock. It was almost four. He sighed. He was bored of watching them play so he decided to do something. He decided to improve on his dancing. He went to his room to look for his favorite soundtrack. He couldn’t find it. “Right, Lia borrowed it from me,” he said to himself. He got up and out of his room to ask for his CD back.

He bumped into her in the hallway. “Hey, can I take back the CD I lend to you the other day?” he asked.

“Yeah sure,” she replied. “I’m just getting myself a cup of water. Want one?”

“Nah, it’s okay.”

She nodded and continued on her way but stopped when he stopped her again.

“Uh, where is it?”

“Oh, right.” She smiled sheepishly at him. “It should be on my drawer.”

“All right. Thanks, Mei.” He walked into her room and made a beeline for her drawer. The CD wasn’t on the drawer. Maybe it was inside instead. He opened the drawer, hoping that his CD was inside.

Lia came back with her cup of water. She set it on her bedside table. Her brother was hovering the drawer, head bent down. She sat on her bed. “Found it?” she asked him.

“Yeah . . .” he replied slowly. He turned around, holding up a stick-like object. “Along with this.”

Lia’s heart skipped a beat when she realized what was in his hands. Oh crap it, she thought. She bit her bottom lip, wondering what she should say. “Um . . .”

He looked at her and she flinched, staring right back at the hurt in his eyes. “How far are you?” he asked her.

“Th — three months,” she squeaked. She felt herself going cold, numbed with fear.

He took slow steps toward her, his hand clenched on the object. “Who is it?” he asked quietly but angrily. He was trying to stop from yelling.

Lia didn’t answer.

Damnit!” He threw the stick on the wall and it shattered, falling to the ground. Lia’s eyes darted from it and back to him. She began to cry. “Lia, how could you be so stupid?!” he yelled.

She looked down, taking a sharp intake of breath.

Who is the father of the baby?!

She looked up to him, tears silently pouring down her face.

“I don’t know.”