Moving On

Songs in A Battlefield (3rd Book of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

 

It has almost been two weeks since Ji Yong and Lia broke up. Everyone in the YG Family was devastated to hear the news. They thought they would actually last; they were so happy together. They didn’t explain to them what really happened. They just lied saying they just didn’t have feelings for each other anymore and decided to just remain friends.

But even being just friends was hard enough. It was so awkward at home; Lia tried to avoid him as much as possible and they don’t exchange more than three words to each other.

To make matters worse, Ji Yong can’t help but notice that Seung Ri and Lia have been getting closer to each other. His heart sank deeper every time he sees them together. He knew that Seung Ri was making his move and he knew that Lia was going to fall for him soon. He wanted to fight for her, to ask her to take him back, but he was too proud.

One day he was sitting on the floor behind the kitchen counter, listening to music. Everyone was out; he was the only one at home. Dae Sung and Tae Yang took the dogs out for a walk. TOP went to buy groceries. He didn’t know where Seung Ri and Lia were.

He sat there, on the cold marble floor, just thinking about Lia. He played with the bracelet on his hand. He couldn’t bring himself to take if off. He was afraid that if he takes it off, then it really meant they will never be with each other anymore.

He was about to get up when he heard the front door opened and heard Lia’s laugh. His heart ached and he cringed.

“Lia?” he heard Seung Ri called out.

Lia’s giggles came from right above him. He froze in his spot as he heard the jangling of keys falling into the basket of keys. “Yes?”

Oh, how sweet her beautiful voice is.

“Can I ask you something?”

No. Ji Yong closed his eyes, dreading this moment. He had a feeling he knew what was going to happen.

“Sure.”

 “I know you still have feelings for hyung,” Seung Ri said softly, “but I can tell that you like me too.”

“Maknae Oppa . . .” Lia’s voice sounded sad. “I do, but what’s the use? He doesn’t even try to fight for me.”

“Exactly,” Seung Ri said a little too quickly. “Look, I’m not saying you should forget about him. I mean, yes you should but . . . all I am saying is for you to at least consider me. I promise I will love you and I will always do my best to make you happy. I won’t ever let you down. Please, just think about it?”

There was a moment of silence.

“Okay.”

Ji Yong suppressed his screams, shaking his head. No. No, no, no, NO!

“Thank you.”

Lia squealed and Seung Ri laughed. “Put me down!” she gasped, laughing. “Oppa!”

Ji Yong peeped up and saw Seung Ri had lifted her up over his shoulders. He frowned. He used to do that with her. He used to make her laugh like that.

He shook his head sadly. He has to get her back before he end up losing to Seung Ri.

 

Lia was humming a song when she passed by her wall mirror and stopped there, grabbing a comb to brush her hair. She was looking at herself in the mirror, wondering what could Seung Ri possibly see in a plain girl like her when her eyes landed on the necklace she was wearing from her reflection. She looked down. It was the locket Ji Yong had given her for Christmas.

She hesitated. Then she reached up to unclasp the lock. Holding it firmly in her hand, she walked to her dressing table and put the necklace in her jewelry box, in a small little corner.

She then thought about what Seung Ri had said to her earlier. She has to admit, she did have some feelings for him. She always had. It’s just that she cared more about Ji Yong. But Seung Ri had always been so sweet to her, so patient and forgiving.

She sighed, looking at her door. She bit her bottom lip. She got up and walked out of her room. Ji Yong looked up from the living room.

“Hey,” he said meekly.

“Hey,” she replied awkwardly. She hung her head and avoided eye contact with him as she headed to Seung Ri’s room.

She opened the door and found him on the computer. “Maknae Oppa?”

He looked over his shoulders. “Oh, Lia.” He beamed. “What’s up?”

She walked over to him and sat on his lap, burying her face in his neck. “Cheowahae,” she whispered.

“What did you say?” He drew her head to face his.

She smiled at him timidly. “Cheowahae,” she repeated, her heart thumping wildly. She kissed him on the lips.

He kissed her back happily, wrapping his arms around her waist, pulling her close to him. “Lia . . .” He lifted her up and laid her down on his bed, kissing her neck. “You have no idea how happy you’ve just made me.”

She kissed him as she snuggled close to him. She smiled as she stared into those loving and tender warm eyes.

She hoped she made the right choice.

 

Word spread like flies around YG Family that Seung Ri and Lia were now dating. They were surprised Lia chose him over Ji Yong but were even more surprised when they saw how sweet he treated her.

As days passed by, Ji Yong sulked even more especially at home where they are more lovey-dovey toward each other. His heart ached to see Lia kissing another man. He even started to lock himself up in his room to avoid them.

One night the boys were all in the living room playing on the Xbox when Lia came out from her room wearing a grey oversize shirt. She was wearing Seung Ri’s shirt.

“Are you wearing a pair of pants below?” TOP asked, narrowing his eyes.

Lia lifted the shirt up to show she was wearing very short black tights. “Yeap.” She crawled into Seung Ri’s lap, ignoring the others. She put her arms around his neck and drew him close to kiss him. He threw his controller away and wrapped his arms around her small body. His shirt slid down from her shoulder, showing her bits of her and a very thin black bra strap. Lia’s legs were s around his waist.

TOP coughed. “Guys, we’re in the middle of a game,” he said.

Seung Ri wrapped his arms around her and lifted her up. “Then we’ll take this in her room,” he replied.

“Hey! What about the game?” Dae Sung protested.

“Finish it without me,” he called back. “I’m busy with Lia.”

Lia giggled as he closed the door behind her and pinned her against the wall. “Oppa, can we go away one day?” she asked him.

“What do you mean?” He kissed her on the neck fiercely.

She hugged him. “Just you and me alone go somewhere,” she explained.

He frowned thoughtfully. “I actually like that idea,” he said.

“But your work . . .?”

He shrugged. “It can be on the weekends, right? It should be fine. How about we put it this weekend?”

“That’s tomorrow!” Lia cried out happily. She hugged him tighter. “I love you!”

He laughed. “Anything to make Angel happy,” he replied.

Just then the door swung opened and TOP entered the room.

“Ah, hyung, just the person I wanted to see,” Seung Ri spoke up. He kissed Lia on the cheeks, hugging her tightly.

“What do you want?” TOP asked warily.

“A favor.”

 

The next morning, Ji Yong, Tae Yang and Dae Sung all sleepily piled up at the dining table as TOP served bacons and eggs to them for breakfast.

“Yah, where are the lovebirds?” Dae Sung stifled a yawn.

“They went to Seung Ri’s parents’ house,” TOP replied. “They left early in the morning when we were all asleep.”

Ji Yong choked on his food. “What?” he spluttered.

Tae Yang shot him an irritated glance as he turned to TOP. “You mean just the two of them?”

TOP nodded.

“Aren’t you scared he might do something to her?” Ji Yong asked.

“I know you are,” Dae Sung muttered.

He threw dagger stares in his direction and turned back to TOP who frowned.

“Honestly,” the hyung said, “I like you with her better than Maknae,” he said, “but I believe that he cares for her in his own ways and wouldn’t do anything to hurt her.”

“He can be pretty persuasive and Lia is quite naïve,” Ji Yong argued.

Tae Yang sighed. “Ji, shut up,” he snapped. “She’s not your girlfriend anymore. You broke up with her, not the other way around. I don’t blame her for going to Seung Ri. He was there for her and he treats her nice. You either try to win her back or get over her. But stop sitting here and complain about him and not do a single thing!”

The whole room was filled with silence. Everyone was surprised at Tae Yang’s sudden outburst. Normally he was the peacemaker. He tries not to stir things up and he’s always very cautious not to say anything to hurt people. He rarely shows his angered and irritated side.

But he was so fed up with his best friend complaining about Seung Ri and he knows that the others feel the same.

As if on cue, Dae Sung timidly but boldly at the same time spoke up, “I agree with him, Ji hyung.”

TOP didn’t say anything but Ji Yong knew that he silently agreed with everything Tae Yang just said.

He was being childish, he knew, but he didn’t care. He pushed his chair back and stood up. He walked back to his room and slammed the door with a loud bang behind him. He wanted to be alone.

“I’m not going after him,” Tae Yang spoke up after a moment of silence.

“Let him steam,” TOP sighed. “It’s hard for him, although I don’t understand why he broke up with her in the first place.”

“At least Lia is happy,” Dae Sung pointed out. “That’s a good thing, right? That’s all that really matters: her happiness.”

Tae Yang nodded. “I agree.”