Bittersweet Memories

Songs in A Battlefield (3rd Book of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

Seung Ri got up from his seat and began to walk to Lia’s room. His strides were firm and determined.

“Maknae, just leave her alone,” Tae Yang called after him.

“No hellish way,” he replied stubbornly. “I am not going to let her go, crying like that."

“Seriously, don’t be an idiot and sit back down,” TOP said, annoyed.

He whirled around and the other four boys were shocked to see such anger and hurt in his eyes. “Don’t you get it?” he shouted. “I am losing her as each second pass! I don’t want to do nothing until the second where I lose her entirely comes and I didn’t even bother trying to put up a fight! I knew she haven't been eating properly and I did nothing! I didn't even bother asking! I just left her as she was. Of course she's starving; she haven't had a proper meal in so long! And she grew so skinny yet I didn't even take notice of it. What sort of boyfriend is that? I’ll do anything to make her forgive me; beg, grovel — ANYTHING!”

Ji Yong stood up. “Is that so?” he asked in a low voice. “You’ll do anything?”

“Yes!”

“Even if she tells you to get lost?”

He stopped in his track, cold. He turned around slowly, letting his words sink in. he didn’t think of that.

“I know Lia better than you do,” Ji Yong said coldly. “And if there’s one thing about her is that you cannot pressure her when she wants to be alone. It’ll only make your relationship worse. Let her come to you in her own time. But trying to force her is going to cause the opposite effect.”

TOP stood up, unable to take it anymore. He got up and walked to his little sister’s room, locking the door behind him as he entered the room. She wasn’t anywhere to be seen but the window was opened. She was on the rooftop, crying. She was so distraught that she didn’t notice her brother until he took her in his arms and set her down in his lap. He hugged her as she collapsed in his chest, her hair. His lips brushed her forehead lightly as he pressed his cheeks to her, holding her tight.

He stayed with her, comforting her, even after her sobs died down. When she was quiet, he realized that she had fallen asleep in his arms. He chuckled, her cheek. Tears welled up in his eyes. “Mei, why are you hurting yourself like this?” he murmured. “Why did you keep such terrible secret from us? You should have known we are here for you. You could have told us about your eating problem.”

She didn’t stir, breathing soundly. He took his phone out and dialed a number. “Can you unlock the door and help me put Lia to sleep? We’re out on the rooftop.”

Moments later the door opened and Seung Ri came in. TOP was very gentle when it came to giving Seung Ri his girlfriend. He set her down on her bed as TOP came back inside, closing the window behind him. It was a chilly night. He got into bed with Lia, snuggling up to her.

Seung Ri smiled, kissing her lightly on the lips before he walked away, turning the lights off as he left the room.

Naega isseo, Mei,” TOP murmured as he slowly drifted to sleep. “I’ve got you.”

“I’m sorry,” he heard her murmur.

Realizing that she was awake, he hugged her tightly. “It’s okay,” he replied. “None of us blame you.”

“I’m sorry. . . .”

By then everyone had entered the room. They all hugged her, letting her know that it was nothing. That they understand why she didn’t tell them about her problem. And it was true, they understood her. They knew she did not want to burden them with her problem. She was like that, always trying to please people and never wanting to inconvenient them.

 

Eventually Lia became her happy normal self again. Everyone was relieved because they didn’t want any more awkward atmosphere in the house. They also had been helping her slowly with her eating disorder. It'll take a step at a time but they all know she would be able to conquer her problem.

Her relationship with Seung Ri got more serious as he tried to squeeze in dates in between of his busy life, which Lia found kind and sweet. Her friendship with Ji Yong was better and no longer awkward. He was her best friend and he stuck to his words: he never tried to make a move on Lia. Seung Ri was relieved. He could tell Ji Yong still have feelings for Lia but he was man enough to admit that he lost and that she was with another man now.

Seung Ri occasionally got jealous and paranoid but he trust Lia and have confidence in their relationship. One fine evening before dinner, he approached Lia. “I’m taking you out on a date, Lia,” he announced.

She didn’t even look up from her work. “Where?” she asked absentmindedly.

He wrapped his arms around her from behind the chair, pressing his cheeks against hers. “You’ll see,” he replied mysteriously.

She smiled at him, mystified. “What time?”

“Now.” He pulled her up and dragged her to the car. She giggled as she allowed herself to be pulled. Seung Ri had always managed to find ways to make all of their dates interesting by doing spontaneous things like this. It was one of the many reasons why she loves him.

“Do you remember our first kiss?” Seung Ri asked in the car, making a conversation. He kept an eye on the road.

She smiled. “Didn’t you steal a kiss from me two years ago when you guys came to say goodbye to me at the airport? You said I have to kiss your cheeks but you turned your head last minute so I kissed you on the lips instead.”

He turned to look at her, eyes wide. “You remember.”

“Huh. You sound surprised,” she observed, tilting her head to one side.

He shrugged. “I just didn’t think you will remember. You were pretty much in love with hyung back then.”

She blushed. “No, that’s not true. I can’t say I was in love with him because I just met him. But of course I remembered the kiss. Ji Yong Oppa used to complain to me about that, but I just ignore him. I tune him out.” She touched gently him on the shoulder and smiled warmly at him.

They stopped at their destination: Han River. It was always a romantic spot for couples. Lia would never tell Seung Ri but she and Ji Yong used to always sneak out of the house and come here in the middle of the night, where all is quiet and peaceful. Being here now reminded her of it and her heart ached a bit at the memories they shared here together.

But one memory in particular was stuck in her mind. . . .

 

Ji Yong opened the car door for her, holding his hand out for her to take it, which she did, stepping out of the car. He closed the door and linked arms with her. The two of them walked to the bridge, his hand on her waist. They both stood by the rails in the middle of the bridge, admiring the gorgeous view. Ji Yong turned and saw that she was cold. He put his arms around her shoulder, rubbing her arms gently.

She snuggled close to him, leaning her head on his arm (since she wasn’t tall enough to reach his head). She closed her eyes, feeling his warmth next to her and the cool breeze rushing by her face. He turned to her and leaned down to kiss her on the lips, cupping her face in his hands. She put her arms around his waist, pulling closer to him as she stood on tiptoes.

Lia felt his grip tightened as he lifted her up. She pulled back a bit to smile at him. Ji Yong was just so handsome. He smiled back at her, pressing his forehead against hers, their noses touching. He kissed her nose before going back to the position. After a while he put her down and walked back to the car.

She stood where she was, wondering what he was up to now.

He turned the radio player on and a slow song came on. He walked back to her, taking her hands into his own and they slow-danced to the song. It was so magical, so romantic. Lia couldn’t ask for a better night. When the song ended, he carried her to the car and set her down on the trunk. Then he got his guitar and began to play and sing a song for her. The song was a canorous song: richly melodious.

Then he led her back to the railings. “Look down to the sea, Lia,” he said to her softly. He smiled.

She looked down and gasped.

A small boat sailing from under the bridge was holding a banner that flew in the wind. On the banner, it said: “I’d Sail Across the Oceans Just For You, Lia”.

Tears poured from her face as she hugged Ji Yong tightly. “I love you, Ji Oppa,” she whispered to him.

He smiled as he wiped her tears away with his two thumbs. “I love you too,” he whispered back before kissing her once more.

 

“Lia?”

Lia was brought back to the present time. “Huh?”

Seung Ri was looking at her, frowning slightly. “Are you okay?” he asked her.

She smiled and laughed it off. “Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking what a beautiful night it is tonight,” she lied.

“But the night is not as beautiful as you,” he replied.

Those words seemed rather familiar. Lia was sure she heard them somewhere before . . . oh. Ji Yong had said those words on their first date when they first met. Lia had commented on the beautiful night and he had said the very words Seung Ri just said. She felt a pang of pain inside her heart, just remembering everything that happened between them and how their relationship fell apart in a snap of the fingers. She shook her head and turned back to her boyfriend. She tiptoed to kiss him lightly on the lips. “I love you,” she said to him.

He crushed her to him. “I love you too,” he murmured between kisses, caressing her softly on the back.

After awhile the two of them came up for air and decided it was time to head home. It was getting late and TOP was probably going around the house, wondering where they went like the overly-protective big brother he is. They drove back in comfortable silence, holding hands. Lia was really happy to be with Seung Ri. She really is. Ji Yong was the past and Seung Ri is the present. Hopefully he’d be the future as well.

Once they reached home, the others were sitting around the table, getting ready to eat. They looked up the moment they heard the door close.

“Where did you go?” TOP asked as they sat down on the table.

“Han River,” Seung Ri replied.

Lia glanced at Ji Yong’s direction and her heart skipped a beat when she saw that he was looking back at her. From the look in his eyes, she knew he was remembering that same night as well. She saw the momentarily pain and sadness in his eyes. She blushed and quickly looked down. Then she began to eat. She was highly aware that he was still looking at her even though he was eating.

Luckily no one noticed the awkwardness between the two of them. It was mainly thanks to Dae Sung, the greedy pig, who distracted the others.

Eventually Lia looked at Ji Yong again who just smiled sadly at her and shrugged. She sighed, turning back to her food again.

I miss you, Ji Oppa . . .