of pretty girls and bookish nerds

EXO & RV Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi examined herself in the bathroom mirror frowning at her appearance.  She stretched her arms high and smiled to herself as her shirt hiked up, showing her toned stomach.  She pulled her skirt up a little higher, careful still not to cover her stomach.  She wanted him to notice this time.  He never noticed but she was confident that today would be the day he did.

 

“Do you think I should have worn a shorter skirt?” she asked Yeri and Wendy who were texting their two other friends.  Wendy looked up and rolled her eyes.

 

“You’re already breaking the dress code and if your skirt was any shorter your would be on display,” Wendy sighed.

 

Seulgi shot her a sour look.  “Well I wouldn’t have to do anything extreme if he just freaking looked at me.  I mean, how hard is it to look up from a book and start a conversation with a hot girl?”

 

Yeri chuckled.  “Well apparently it’s extremely hard for Kim Jongin.”

 

“Everyone says he’s shy and modest.  I don’t even think he knows how hot he is,” Wendy supplied.  “Why do you start a conversation first if you’re so desperate.”

 

Seulgi huffed, picking her backup up and making her way to the door.  “Because I’m Kang Seulgi.  I shouldn’t have to beg for a boy’s attention.”

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin was spending lunch hour outside, sitting on the grass, reading 1984 by George Orwell, horrified by the ever watchful Big Brother.  He couldn’t even imagine what Winston was going through.  Jongin paused from reading and sat back against the brick wall of the building, closing his eyes.  He could imagine society walking down the path of totalitarianism, especially if some significant world tragedy were to occur.  But to be under surveillance at all times was unthinkable. How would it feel like to not be able to talk without someone listening, to think being executed for the slightest disproval in the government, to fall in love and express love when it was against the law? He couldn’t imagine it.

 

“Do you have any lip balm?” a small voice asked him.

 

Jongin shook his head, not bothering to open his eyes. Whoever it was, they were probably there just to bother him and make fun of him for being a nerd.  Jongin had to deal with it everyday.

 

“What are you thinking about?” the same voice questioned.

 

“The effect of totalitarianism on society,” he answered.

 

There was a following silence and Jongin believed that whoever had been trying to bother him had left but after a few moments of relaxing again.  This time he paid more attention.  It was clearly a girl and she seemed very shy when she spoke.  She didn’t seem to be any threat to him so he stayed as he was, open to whatever conversation she wanted to have.

 

“Do you like to read a lot?” she asked.

 

“Yes, it’s relaxing.  All the characters I read about go through things I would never imagine.  It makes my problems seem insignificant compared to theirs and it reminds me how lucky am I to live the way I do,” he ans

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter