A Themed Treat

I See You

April 7th

 

I felt my body shake viciously as my eyes locked onto the spiralling roller coaster. Its turns were sharp, its track winding around and up and down. It spun upside down far too many times and the seatbelts rattled to create tension. And for some odd reason, Chanyeol was incredibly excited to ride it.

‘I’m glad I can’t see how big the thing is. It means I have no reason to be scared’, he chirped, beaming brightly, ‘but you are, though.’

I forced a cocky laugh. ‘I’m not scared. Why would I agree to come here with you if I couldn’t handle such a pathetic ride, huh? This is easy.’

‘I can ride it myself if this is too much.’

‘I could do this with my eyes closed.’

‘That’s something a scared person would do.’

Though I knew he couldn’t witness it, I glared at him with angrily burning eyes. I grabbed his shirt and dragged him towards the line, fighting away my anxieties so that he would believe I had confidence. It wasn’t long before my body began nervously vibrating again and I had to release my grasp on him so he couldn’t feel it. When he cheekily smirked at me, I realised my panicky foot tapping was almost as violent as an earthquake.

As we boarded, I felt beads of sweat prickling the back of my neck and more embarrassingly, around my cleavage. I pushed my damp hair away from my forehead, subconsciously gnawing at my lip. After only a few seconds of waiting, I could taste blood.

Warm fingers wound their way around mine and I peered up to see Chanyeol’s soft expression. ‘I promise I’ll buy you tonnes of fairy floss to make up for this. For now, just squeeze my hand as hard as you need.’

Remarkably, it was only the initial build-up in which I took the opportunity to crush the bones in Chanyeol’s hand, because once the rollercoaster shot off like a rocket I was whooping animatedly along with him. I had despised large rides since a haunting childhood experience, but something about his presence completely wiped the memory from my mind. By the conclusion, my cheeks ached from smiling so widely.

‘I’m so proud of you’, Chanyeol teased, searching for my cheek to pinch gently.

I leant into his touch. ‘I think I handled it better than you. It looked like you were going to vomit half way through.’

‘Okay, whatever you need to believe to feel better about yourself’, he responded.

‘It’s totally true, that’s why you’re not defending yourself’, I scoffed sarcastically, punching his arm, ‘and even if it’s not true, you still owe me fairy floss. I’m hungry, so fork out the money!’

Chanyeol stuck true to his promise and almost wiped the vendor clean, purchasing the largest bunch of fairy floss he could afford. As he waddled over to the table I had claimed, the huge, pink mess of fluff entirely blocked out his face and its sickly sweet aroma wafted up my nostrils instantly. I was glad he couldn’t see me salivating like a dog that hadn’t been fed in days, because not even the company of a handsome man could stop me from drooling over the beautiful treat.

After mischievously hand feeding it to me, Chanyeol dragged me to the Ghost House, convinced to exaggerate his manliness. He jokily flexed as we entered, brows furrowed from the strain and even though I should have taken the lead to keep him safe, he made me remain comfortably tucked behind him. I wrapped my arms around his waist to stabilise him in case he tripped, but my face never left its place squished against the warmth of his back. Only the workers in the Ghost house could observe the openly satisfied grin stretching across Chanyeol’s face.

‘You didn’t jump even once!’ I announced, shocked.

‘Sounds can’t be scary. They can’t hurt you.’

‘Screams are scary. That’s why I mute horror movies.’

He stopped walking to hold his stomach, chortling noisily. ‘Even though I’m a little disappointed in you, I’ll remember to only suggest watching movies with happy music.’

I flicked his nose and dashed off towards the Ferris wheel. After taking a moment to get his bearings, he came to stand behind me, his chin resting atop my head. I let him hold my hand as I directed us towards the next empty carriage.

‘This will probably be boring for you, but just last one round, okay? The motions make me feel at ease.’

He smiled and pulled me in closer as we sat down. ‘It won’t be boring, because I’m doing it with you. I bet the view is really awesome.’

Feeling somewhat guilty, I described every detail to him. I explained how blue and clear the sky was and how the trees were starting to transform into stunning varying greens, growing bushy and tall. I told him that the architecture on display was unlike anything I had ever seen, historic and beautiful. I even outlined all those passing by, from the gleeful children toddling through the theme park to the awkward teenage couple sitting together without speaking a word.

I fell breathless, realising I had been talking for far too long. ‘Sorry, I got a little carried away there.’

‘Don’t apologise…nobody’s ever done that for me before…described something so vividly that I felt I could actually see it myself. Thank you, Min.’

Neither of us wanted to hop off, but eventually we were booted to allow others a chance to experience the view. I was disappointed I couldn’t stay there longer, snuggling into his warm embrace and speaking to him as though we had known each other an entire lifetime. With him, everything seemed to come so easily. I didn’t have to worry about expressing my mind and never had to stress over uncomfortable silences. Everything we shared with one another was truthful and whenever it fell quiet, it was because we were both content just to be with the other person.

I found myself smiling up at him uncontrollably, until an inhospitably familiar voice called out my name. 

(lol)