Unexpected

I See You

August 3rd 2016

 

I leant backwards, curving my spine and letting my arms dangle lazily. Then, I shifted forward, hunching over. Something was completely off as I continued to move back and forth like this, frowning at my reflection in the full-length mirror. My stomach was bulging, not too obviously but not subtly enough either. When I bent down, it didn’t transform into sets of rolls, but remained a fairly smooth bump and occasionally, it ached and made strange gurgling sounds. I bit my lip. This couldn’t be good.

Taking one last look at my half figure, I tugged on an oversized shirt and trudged out into the kitchen. On some days I half expected Jimin to be there nagging me and begging tirelessly for me to cook her breakfast, but it wasn’t like that anymore. The kitchen was peaceful and empty, or it was occupied by a tall figure leaning over the stove, baking up a treat to surprise me with. Waking up to Chanyeol had become my favourite thing. I loved strolling up behind him and wrapping my arms around his waist, inhaling his scent mixed in with the aroma of sweet pancakes and pastries. He would set down his spatula and place his palm over my hand, greeting me in that soothingly deep voice. I would respond in a cute, girlish tone, making him chuckle huskily and spin to tangle his arms around me. He’d plant a kiss to my forehead, leaving a smudge of batter on my skin. I’d giggle and jump up to kiss him back, savouring the sweet taste lingering on his pink lips. Most mornings were like this and I was so utterly content. Yet today, I couldn’t stop myself from pouting.

I yanked the fridge open and peered in at the contents. My stomach was screaming, commanding that I pick up the jar of pickles and scull the juice. I hated pickles, but I wanted them so terribly. Rolling my eyes, I snatched them up and tugged one out, grimacing as I chomped down on it. Expecting the usual dreadful taste to glide across my tastebuds, I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for it. However, it never came. My mouth was watering, enjoying the flavour as much as it would enjoy the experience of fruity frosting. Oh God, something was definitely wrong.

Looking down at the glistening ring on my finger, I felt somewhat reassured that Chanyeol would be attached to my side no matter what the problem was. It was a symbol of our companionship and love, an allusion to his promise to support me through ups and downs. I just hoped that I didn’t have some strange cancer and that my stomach was simply swelling painfully with gas.

I munched noisily on another pickle, which slid out of my mouth as I yelped, startled by the sudden slamming of the front door. Chanyeol paced in, tossing his bag onto the couch and advancing closer. I remained motionless, hoping he would dart right past me, praying that all he could smell was pickle juice and not my perfume. He fiddled with his fingers, humming a soft tune as he walked over. His steps were leisurely and evidently leading him towards the bedroom, but he suddenly decided that he was hungry and backtracked, sidestepping to reach the fridge. I hopped out of the way, balancing on one foot as he opened it and rummaged through it, lips now parted as he sung a romantic ballad. He shut the door and leant against it, a punnet of strawberries in his hand. When he brought one up to his lips, ready to chew, I thought that I was safe. That was not the case.

‘What’re you doing?’ he asked, the fruit suspended in the air just before reaching his mouth.

I coughed, awkwardly clearing my throat as I emitted a lie. ‘I was just going to try scaring you, but you ruined it.’

‘Were you going to scare me with pickles or have you finally decided that you like eating them?’

‘Don’t be ridiculous!’

‘Don’t avoid my question.’

‘I’m not avoiding it. I just don’t really have an answer.’

He cocked an eyebrow and chucked a strawberry into his mouth, devouring it quickly before dropping the rest on the counter and sidling over to me. I wanted to back away, wanted to avoid the hands snaking around my once slim figure, but I couldn’t bring myself to avoid or reject his embraces. They were comforting and always offered some kind of warmth, whether it be physical or emotional. Without meaning to, I pressed myself snugly against him, nuzzling my nose into the crook of his neck. Even though my stomach was firmly against his and it was obvious that he could feel the slight bump, he didn’t stiffen or sneak away. If anything, he hugged me tighter. I sighed against him.

When he pulled away, he sauntered over to the fridge again and brought out a mixture of ingredients. ‘We should go shopping seeming I’ll be cooking for three from now on.’

‘Is someone staying over?’ I asked, leaning in to examine how much food we had.

‘I hope you’re joking.’

‘Why would I be?’

He chuckled and wound an arm around my neck, pushing the fridge closed. ‘Min, you hate pickles. Guess who loves pickles though?’

‘Who?’

‘Pregnant women. Pregnant women love pickles.’

My heart plummeted into my stomach and my eyes widened. I shook him off, feeling panicky and confused for a moment. I couldn’t be pregnant. If I was, I wouldn’t fit into my wedding dress and we’d have to buy a new place and I’d get fat and-

‘Oh God, was I saying that all out loud?’

‘Yes, sweetheart’, Chanyeol replied softly, fingers latching onto my shirt to drag me closer once more, ‘but that’s okay. All of that is okay. We can push the wedding back or we can make it earlier. We can buy a new place. Both of us have wanted to do so for quite some time. And yes, you will get heavier, but you won’t get fat. You’ll be beautiful, just like you are now.’

I pushed my fingers into my temples, massaging. ‘Why are you so calm? We’re not even sure yet. Why are you jumping to conclusions? There could be other reasons. Maybe I’m dying!’

He shushed me with a kiss and then, despite my squeals and protests, picked me up bridal style and carried me to the bedroom, where he relished my body the way he relished cinnamon donuts.

 

August 10th 2016

 

‘If it’s a boy, you should name him Chen’, Jongdae stated, smiling toothily.

Baekhyun groaned in feigned disgust and punched his friend in the shoulder. ‘That is the stupidest name I have ever heard’, he responded snappily, eyebrows knitted together as he glared at Jongdae, ‘don’t you two dare listen to him. Be sensible, love your child.’

‘What’s wrong with that name? It’s better than Byun Baekhyun.’

‘Listen here you little …’

I laughed and turned to Chanyeol, my chin resting in my palms as I stared at him. He was smiling, a huge, genuine smile that revealed all of those shining white teeth, a smile that made his eyes crinkle and sparkle. He looked so incredibly happy, that I forgot how frightened I was as I snuggled up against him.

He leant in, pressing his lips against my ear. ‘Don’t worry. We’ll find a name so kickass that these two won’t know what hit them.’

‘Shut up, Park Chanyeol.’

‘As if you’d find a name that tops the name Chen!’

‘I swear to Christ, I’m going to beat you upside the head if you say that name one more time.’

‘Chen Chen Chen Chen Chen Chen Chen Chen Chen!’

The lunch date ended with one person in tears and another being held back as he madly swung his fists about.