Sweet Aromas Pt.2

I See You

April 23rd

 

Chanyeol sat on a rusted park bench, his feet planted firmly on the ground where mine would have likely been dangling. His lanky figure was cloaked in warm layers, protecting his porcelain skin from the cold front that had struck the city. Though he claimed he wasn’t feeling the sudden chill, not even in the slightest, I could barely see his facial features because of the fluffy hood drawn over his chin and eyes. A red, running nose jutted out from the mess of knotted fake fur and occasionally, the hood would shift as he subtly sneezed, turning to the side to ensure no one received a cloud of his germs. He bopped his legs up and down in attempt to fight off the unpleasant temperature, creating friction. When he came to discover that this was of no use, he tugged his knees up to his chin and cutely buried his face. I gazed over every so often to simply see a curled up ball of fuzz, all features, and all glimpses of skin entirely hidden.

I flattened the chequered blanket beneath me, dropping tiny pebbles onto the corners to keep it in place against the minor breeze. Across the surface was an array of homemade dishes, colours scattered around in quite the artistic fashion. Everything was ordered, made incredibly easy for Chanyeol to access. Just by having a speedy whiff, he’d effortlessly be able to distinguish all of the food being offered to him.

Of course, I hadn’t just organised food alone. The park we were in was completely covered in arrays of stunning flowers, their scents unique and undoubtedly beautiful. Miniscule insects fluttered by, their flimsy wings creating faint buzzing sounds and their clingy, fleecy legs tickling any exposed skin. Though they fluttered around my figure, it appeared that they knew well enough to avoid touching any of the food. Instead, butterflies painted flowers with pollen and the stunning combination of vibrant colours splashed across the span of their delicately thin wings. I wished Chanyeol could see how pretty their colours were, but they weren’t the reason I had brought him here.

A few days prior I had been strolling past the park, headphones muffling all surrounding sounds and sunglasses dimming the beauty around me, when a familiar aroma wafted by. I had paused in my tracks and spun around, jogging back towards the mass of lusciously green trees and constellations of striking flowers. Wholly dismissing the fact that I probably looked like a crazy person, I paced in circles and loopy lines, my nose stuck into the air as I boisterously sniffed. After each inhale, the smell became gradually more recognisable until finally, I realised what it reminded me of; Chanyeol. So, just as he had done for me approximately twenty days ago, I decided to take him somewhere he could relate to, somewhere that was reminiscent of his perfect presence.

Chanyeol flinched, retracting from his little nap as I nudged his hand. He yawned and extended his limbs, legs stretching out in front of him and arms stretching out above. There were a few decent cracks as he strained his muscles, accompanied by multiple subdued yawns and exhausted groans. He almost sounded like he was complaining, but I didn’t comment, simply watching, enchanted as he vibrated violently and shook away the sticky sleep from his eyes.

‘Let’s go eat’, I whispered, pressing my lips against his ear.

He smiled softly and entwined his frozen fingers with mine, letting me tug him toward to the generously covered blanket. With each step his nose twitched a little more, easily noticing the different odours, his mouth agape as though grossly salivating. I chuckled and reached up to tenderly close it.

The moment he plonked onto the ground, he rolled onto his side and splayed his fingers over the swaying blades of grass. He was motionless for a few short seconds, just enjoying the prickle against his skin, before he lightly dug into the crumbly earth. Brown dirt speckled over white as he fiddled around, grinning childishly when a butterfly landed on his extended finger, its wings bluer than the vastness overhead.

What reclaimed his attention was the sound of my soft munching, a crunchy pastry pleasuring my tastebuds. He sprung up, hastily cleaned the mess off his hands with a few claps and some elusive rubbing against his ripped jeans, and then made grabby gestures. Without even being able to witness my scrunched expression he smirked cheekily, fully aware that I was about to cave in. Of course, I could have handed him any of the foods scattered around our cross-legged figures, but with a sigh, I forced the remaining piece of pastry against his pink lips. He snapped it up in one gulp, a look of satisfaction etched into his features.

The taste of this delectable flavour began his eating spree. He virtually it all in, like a black a hole, a man who hadn’t eaten for the past few years, all the while making strangled sounds of delight and attempting to express gratitude through full mouthfuls. Only when his stomach began to swell and his cheeks were dotted with tiny crumbs did he finally get out a clear, audible ‘thank you.’

I carefully swiped at the mess as he blindly gazed around, head cocking each time he heard an unfamiliar sound. ‘Where are we exactly?’

‘We’re at a park.’

‘Why?’

‘I like it because it smells like you’, I responded, running my fingers though silky strands, ‘and the trees here are tall like you. The flowers are the same pink that your cheeks turn when you’re flustered and the wind that naturally whistles through this space is soft and soothing, like your voice. It’s all beautiful, just like you.’

I was so engrossed in telling him how I felt that I was slow to discover the tears pooling in the corners of his eyes. Cooing quietly, I knelt forward to kiss his eyelids. When he smiled, I continued down the side of his face, lining his jaw with the gentle pressure of my lips, before leaning back up to press them against his partially parted ones. He moved against me with confidence, arms winding around my waist to draw my body in closer.

Pulling away to take a breath, he nuzzled his nose against my neck. ‘Thank you, for everything.’

‘You don’t have to thank me.’

‘Yes I do’, he mumbled stubbornly, nibbling on my skin.

I giggled. ‘And why is that?’

‘Because I love you.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have major exams coming up in the next week, but then I have heaps of free time, so it the next chapter should be uploaded in 1-2 weeks.
Lots of love and thank you for reading <3

 

Also, I adapted this story for a creative writing piece. The new version is a short story about Baekhyun and blind Chanyeol, so I might upload it as a bonus one day!