The Pains and Rewards of Studying

What Happens [Discontinued]

 

*Night at the Baek house*

Dinner was coming to an end when Seung-Jo demanded that Ha Ni eat faster if she wanted to study with him. At the mention of Seung-Jo helping Ha Ni in studying, everyone else in the house stopped eating out of shock. The silence lasted for five minutes from everyone besides Ha Ni who was became very busy trying to finish her meal. The two moved away and into Ha Ni’s room. It was after Seung-Jo explained some math problems with log x and binary code that he realized Ha Ni was only staring at him and not paying any attention to what he was saying. So much for being over her crush on me, he thought to himself.

“Do you understand how to do this?” He asked knowing full well of what the response would be.

“Huh?” Ha Ni responded. Seung-Jo rolled his eyes, “It’s amazing how much you don’t know,”

“Hey, you don’t know everything like do you know which idol group this is?” Ha Ni asked holding up a picture of Super Junior before say the names of the 13 group members when she saw the obvious state of not knowing.

“See everyone has something that they know. We just like different things which is why I don’t know the same things you do,” Seung-Jo rolled his eyes and went back to lecturing as well as giving Ha Ni more exercises.

The next day at school Kyu Jong caught up with Ha Ni during lunch.

"How was studying with Seung-Jo?" He asked. Ha Ni just looked at him thinking he was insane for thinking that she could concentrate and that she truly enjoyed it.

"It was horrible Kyu-sii, I think he can teach it but he's not nice at all and I can't concentrate at all."

"It'll get better Ha Ni you'll see,"

"I hope so," Ha Ni was going to say more but the bell rang and they needed to go to class. "See you later Ha Ni," Kyu Jong said before leaving.

*After School* (the new part I’ve written…it wasn’t prewritten I expanded from the original chapter written a few months ago)

"Wow you were serious about him really teaching you. There is some stuff here that I only recently learned in class this past week..." Kyu Jong said before trailing off lost in thought of how inferior he was to Seung-Jo in his ability to teach Ha Ni after looking at the stuff Seung-Jo was trying to teach Ha Ni.

"SEE I told you Kyu-ssi, he's a meanie . Do I really need ALL this information for the test? I thought it was only what we've learned so far..."

"We do need all this info but I don't even know some of it. I guess I can only help with the earlier stuff not the newer stuff since I still have yet to learn it." Kyu Jong replied feeling bad for what he lacked in knowledge to help Ha Ni. Seeing him become gloomier, Ha Ni smiled and said, “It’s okay Kyu-ssi, you're helping me and that's good enough," Kyu Jong smiled back at Ha Ni and they started their study tutoring session. (AN-Yes I know a studying session and a tutoring session have a difference but they’re doing both) Occasionally the two would get off topic while talking and get side tracked but neither minded as they felt themselves become closer. 

As their study session was coming to an end, Seung-Jo passed by Ha Ni's classroom. Unintentionally he saw the last of the study session between Ha Ni and Kyu Jong. They had once again gotten side tracked but instead of feeling like scolding them, seeing them laughing and talking without a care aroused an emotion Seung-Jo wasn’t familiar with. He couldn’t place what it was but he really wanted experience what Kyu Jong was at that moment. It didn’t have to be with Ha Ni but for once a part of him wanted to laugh and be carefree. Deciding to brush it off, he left the school and walked home without a single thought towards the two.

What Seung-Jo didn’t know was that Kyu Jong had seen him. He had noticed that Seung-Jo had started to think and space out in the middle of a hallway. As he looked at Seung-Jo’s expression he saw it was one that he had never seen before. And even though he had never seen it on Seung-Jo’s face, it was impossible to call it anything but jealousy. Kyu Jong and Ha Ni packed up not even 5 minutes after Seung-Jo left view of Ha Ni’s classroom doorway. As Kyu Jong walked Ha Ni to Seung-Jo’s house, Seung-Jo was walking ahead and saw the creepy, suspicious guy in a trench coat. Seung-Jo started to unconsciously walk slower until he heard the voices of Kyu Jong and Ha Ni. He was about to walk faster and make a run for it when he overheard Kyu Jong say that he needed to go somewhere and that he couldn’t walk Ha Ni all the way home. Seung-Jo didn’t know why exactly for someone with a 200 IQ but he did know that Kyu Jong’s words relieved him of the unknown emotions.  Feeling like himself again, he walked home not thinking about Ha Ni till he reached his house and his mother started to worry about her. Seung-Jo was about to just shrug her words off knowing that whatever happened Ha Ni would find a way to the house when he remembered the  weird guy from before.

“Aish,” he said before getting up and out of the house. He started to quickly search the dark streets and looking for Ha Ni. Not wanting to seem as if he had actually tried to look for Ha Ni, Seung-Jo went into a convenience store and bought some sweets. After walking around from street to street he heard Ha Ni’s voice say,  “Please give me my shoe back,  it’s a gift,”  Rolling his eyes at the statement, Seung-Jo started to quietly run to where Ha Ni was to see that she had indeed encountered the odd flasher guy he’d seen before. “ I should have predicted something like this would happen, I should have just saved myself the trouble and waited for her after Kyu Jong left her” Seung-Jo thought to himself.  As the flasher guy counted till the moment he would flash show himself (the not so innocent meaning) to Ha Ni, Seung-Jo snuck behind Ha Ni and at the last moment covered Ha Ni’s eyes and turned her around to hide her from the disgusting view.

Ha Ni looked up at him in surprise but as he looked away from her eyes he felt happy that Ha Ni felt safe near him. This happiness only lasted a second as he looked at the creepy flasher guy who was started to get scared. Seung-Jo started to run after the guy who quickly became scared. “Serves you right for picking on girls on the street” Seung-Jo thought to himself.  The trench coat flasher guy quickly gave up and gave Ha Ni’s shoe to Seung-Jo. Deciding to finish off the saving a damsel in distress action, Seung-Jo kneeled down and helped Ha Ni put on her shoe in a princess-like fashion.

“Komawo, Did you come back to look for me?”

“No I was coming back from the convenience store” Seung-Jo answered, holding up the bag with sweets to prove his point.

“But the timing was so perfect…”

“Just my bad luck,” Seung-Jo said before handing Ha Ni a piece of candy to eat on the way home.

*The Next Day After School, Ha Ni and Kyu Jong’s studying session*

“Did you get home safely?” Kyu Jong asked. The question took Ha Ni by surprise by its suddenness and caused to remember the incident the day before. Noticing the panic in Ha Ni’s eyes, Kyu Jong asked what happened. As Ha Ni retold her journey home the night before, Kyu Jong mentally groaned at his stupidity for not walking Ha Ni all the way home like a true gentleman because he remembered that he had forgotten to get the supplies for a school project that could only be bought at a store nowhere close to Seung-Jo’s house. Learning that he had put Ha Ni in an awkward situation and gave Seung-Jo a chance to be play savior bothered him. He resolved that he would walk Ha Ni home every day he tutored her.

Their study session when without a problem, same as their walk home, but the same couldn’t be said about Ha Ni’s study session with Seung-Jo.  Seung-Jo spent his time trying to teach Ha Ni her studies as well as learn to concentrate.

The days till the test went by in a similar fashion with Ha Ni studying and getting help from both Seung-Jo and Kyu Jong. As the test date approached, the more time Ha Ni was spending with Kyu Jong before changing teachers. Kyu Jong and Seung-Jo both noticed this with different reactions.

Kyu Jong was pleased that Ha Ni enjoyed his company. Seung Jo on the other hand started to insult Ha Ni in his mind for spending more time “Kyu Jongie”. He didn’t hate Kyu Jong by any means because of this, but it annoyed him that he was the smarter one yet she spent more time with Kyu Jong. It was hurtful to his pride.

The last day before the test at 11 at night, Seung-Jo was watching Ha Ni do the test he had created to prepare her and without realizing it, he fell asleep. Ha Ni noticing Seung-Jo’s sleeping position on the table. She took this as a chance to reflect how much he had helped her the last few weeks.  She smiled and quietly thanked him for helping her even though he couldn’t hear.

A little while later Seung-Jo’s mother entered the room with snacks to brighten some tired spirits, instead she found two sleeping teenagers. Not wanting to waste such a precious moment, she went off to get a camera to take a picture.

The next day when Seung-Jo and Ha Ni were about to take the test, Seung-Jo did something unusual, he gave encouragement. Granted it wasn’t the most affectionate but it was still him giving encouragement which signified he cared.

*Line-time skip to score checking* (AN-Does anyone go to a school who has their test scores outside like this?)

Everyone was crowded in the room even Seung-Jo who never needed to worry about his rank. For Seung-Jo, he was curious about Ha Ni’s score.  Getting close to the board, he scanned the list and after confirming that Ha Ni was on the top 50 list, he walked away. As he walked away, Seung-Jo could hear the talk of how Ha Ni had gotten on the list as well as a sound he had come to become familiar, the sound of Ha Ni running getting closer to him. He thought that Ha Ni was heading towards him till he heard Ha Ni yell, “KYU JONG-SSI!!” Even though he hadn’t done anything, he was feeling stupid to believe he was the first person to come in mind in Ha Ni’s mind after all the time she had spent with Kyu Jong in the last few weeks. Moving to leave the room, he was halted by Kyu Jong grabbing his arm and dragging him over to Ha Ni and her group of friends. Scowling he let himself get dragged.

“So Seung-Jo are you proud of Ha Ni?” Seung-Jo rolled his eyes, proud of Ha Ni was the last thing on his mind right now. Wanting to get away as soon as possible he put his hand out waiting for Ha Ni to give him the picture she blackmailed him with. She misinterpreted it as him wanting to give her a handshake and as most misinterpretations go, it lead to embarrassment. Right after the picture was handed back and the tutoring business gone and over with, Ha Ni’s teacher brought up the bet that the two had terminated before the tutoring started bringing unwanted attention to the two of them, once more. Ha Ni’s teacher’s words brought upon unwanted attention from the rest of the student body.

Knowing that there was no way to get out of giving Ha Ni a piggy back ride, Seung-Jo reluctantly moved to give Ha Ni the piggy back ride not wanting to be assumed a flake and someone who didn’t keep their promises.

Ha Ni on the other hand was dead set on refusing which bothered Seung-Jo since it was her idea in the first place to make him do this. He thought she’d jump for joy that she getting everything that she had wanted. Just as he was about to pull Ha Ni onto his back, she was whisked away by Joon-gu.

Even if he was supposed to be happy to have escaped the punishment, this wasn’t exactly how he had expected to get out of it. 

AN-Hope you enjoyed the chapter, i fit in the creepy guy! *happy dances* it's not exactly where it used to be in the drama but it has helped to move this story along..the sad thing is that the newer part of the chapter is pretty much the same length as the original chapter...that is just pitiful of me...anyways i'll try to update again during this break.