Meetings

You chose me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunwoo had a pleasant sleep that night, compared to the previous nights; without unnecessarily tossing and turning around while thinking of ways to deal with Nana. A cute smile adorned his handsome features, as he dwelled in deep slumber dreaming about things, only he would know. Poor boy seemed to forget that he still had bigger problems to deal with.

The mood at breakfast was once again pleasant and calm, without the tense atmosphere that had been looming over for days. His parents were busy preparing for the arrival of his grandmother, all that would be required for a recovering patient.

They would later meet his principal when they would still be in class; so he would have to meet the principal, only if called upon.

Amidst everything, his mother did not forget to remind him about bringing his girlfriend home. She gave him a teasing smile, not missing the soft blush on her son's cheeks as he nodded.

He sent a quick message to Nana asking her whereabouts so that they could leave for school together. However, Nana refused saying that they would see each other directly at school.

Sunwoo insisted on meeting before school, so that they could set their stories straight. They had yet to discuss about how they would deal with their fellow students and friends.

 

Nana was patiently waiting for him afar from the school gate, away from prying eyes. He would not have noticed her, if she had not specified about her location. Sunwoo was sure Nana knew every nook and cranny of the school, where a person could remain unnoticed.

"Hey, Nana." He greeted her.

When she turned to face him, the view that greeted him left a sour taste in his mouth.  She looked tired and pale, unlike him who had a good nights' sleep.

He reached out his hand to touch her forehead. But his touch caused her to flinch backwards, as if his touch would harm her. He dropped his hand to his side, with a rush of sadness and disappointment at her unexpected reaction.

"Are you alright? Are you sick or hurt?”  He asked cautiously while reading her face.

She looked surprised at first but resorted back to her usual poker face with a crisp reply.

“Nothing, I'm fine."

Little did he know that the poor girl cried herself to sleep because of him.She would never admit it to him, that he affected her in any way possible. Meeting his family today, did not fail to pile up on her stress.

"Why did you call me?"

"Ah, that was because... it’s nothing really special. It's just that we need to decide what we will tell the others about our situation, what details to let them know and what not to let them know."

"So what are the details we let them know?”  Nana asked with genuine curiosity.

"That we are getting married because of family reasons, no need for details. They don't need to know about my grandmother or my dad's business. Let's not get color bar members involved. Just keep mum on other questions so we don't go astray from our story.” He spelled out each word clearly to get  his point across.

Nana seemed amused at his speech and nodded at him to go on.

"If they ask about anything else, just tell them that  we have been dating for some time now and that the marriage is from mutual consent."

“So you want me to tell a lie?" She asked with hint of despair wondering how he could say those things in such a casual manner whereas she was getting affected by it.

"Not a lie, consider it a half truth. Don't dwell too much into it."

She nodded and it remained silent for a while till she questioned, "How long?"

"Hmm?” He asked confused.

"How long have been.....you know......dating? We need to match our stories, don’t we?"

"Ah! I don't know. Let's say.......four weeks?"

"Ok, what else?"

"What more?"

"Who confessed? Who pursued whom? How did you confess?"

He just looked more confused, which caused her to let out a sigh.

"If you want me lie, it needs to be solid. I don't want to look like a fool if we get caught. Forget the school; the elders will catch upon our lie if we don't say it with accuracy. “She said with a sudden sassiness that he liked.

"You seem to know a lot about lying, Nana."

He with a smile causing her to squirm at his attention and sound of her name.

"Well, it's something you learn along the way, when you want to skip school, goons and so on."

"Okay, so you tell me then, what our love story is?” He asked as he met her intense gaze.

"You were the one who confessed and pursued me."

"Why me?"

"It's not going to me, is it?"

"Fine. I confessed. When?"

"Two weeks after all for one battle."

"What else? How did it happen?” He asked curiously.

"We started hanging out through practice sessions... the private guitar lessons.....the hang out coupons. That way we started spending time with each other, learning more things about each other......getting to know each other better. You confided to me about your feelings for Seyi. When you got rejected, I tried to help you through it. We developed feelings which we never knew. After the battle, we dint have a reason for meeting each other........You started to miss me........You realized your feelings and couldn't stay quiet. That's when you came to me to confess and asked me out. I agreed.......We kept meeting in secret. Your parents mentioned marriage, that's when you told them about me. Yesterday, you took me away to the roof to tell me about your parents wanting you to get married. That's when you told me that you want to marry me, not anyone else........because I'm that one you like. I agreed....... and now here we are."

Silence filled in, Sunwoo realized that he had been gazing intently at her far too long. He slowly backed away, clearing his throat. Nana turned away from him, quickly wiping the tears before he saw it. How could she tell him? That was the way; she wished their story would be. These were her wishful dreams that kept her awake the whole night.

He looked at her back, and said, “Let’s go with your story. But let's not make my confession so dramatic......nobody will believe it's me. Anyways, about the.... kiss....let's say that aftermath of the proposal led to it."

"My story is good not dramatic. It makes you look good. Your little stunt from yesterday goes with it.", she said leading both the teens to blush.

"Okay, I give in."

"You know something else, Jung Sunwoo?"

"What?"

"You at proposals, Byeontae."

 

The Nana-Sunwoo couple was still a hot buzz in the entire school. Rumors spread like hot fire, with more unreal added spiciness. It was more like they were two celebs caught in a dating scandal by paparazzi. Teachers and students alike stared at them as they entered the school. Nana wanted to enter school separately, but Sunwoo insisted on going together and getting it over with.

Her eyes were down casted the whole time as Sunwoo lead the way from the school gate to class. He made her wear his earphones so that the music would shut out the murmurs that would make her uncomfortable. They sat next to each other, same as the previous day.

Although just a day had passed, it felt like an eternity. Yesterday, they were former band mates who couldn't even look each other in the eye and now they are a newly engaged couple sitting together, not able to meet their classmates in the eyes.

Despite the music that shut out the real world, Nana could guess what her classmates were whispering amongst each other. She was used to it. Rumors about beating people up, her gangster lover and her dark life was nothing she did not know about, but chose never to speak. They were untrue, so she cared less even though she was bothered by it.

But today was a different story, not only were they gossiping about her at her face but it was all true. And the perpetrator of her current ordeal seemed unfazed; he nonchalantly flipped through his notes, busy studying. More than admiring him, she was irritated at his calm demeanor and ended up pinching his arm. She looked away as he faced her with a questioning look; rubbing the stinging sensation away.

The Color Bar members were huddled in a corner trying to find out different ways to approach them, but couldn't find the courage to do so.

Though she wanted to come alone, she was glad that he insisted on going together. She wouldn't be able to go through it alone. For the first time, she understood how easier things were if you had someone to pull you through it. Even if it made things just a tad bit simpler.

Class continued as usual, teachers came in and left but did not fail to single out the couple with their eyes, even without words. The two were later called upon in the principal's office, but were left with just a warning. Sunwoo's parents managed to sort out the matter; but it was made clear that such behavior was not acceptable, whatever the circumstances.

 "Daebak!! Nana and Sunwoo are getting married!"

Various speculations were drawn for the reason behind the sudden news. At

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter