Our Anniversary

When It Counts

Date Occurence: June 15, 2014


"Eonni!" Jiyeon giggled, holding up a spoonful of her ice cream out to her sister.

Juhee, on her best behavior, just smiled back, "Yeonnie, it's Father's Day, you should sharing your ice cream with Appa."

Jiyeon blinked her confused understanding but turned to hold out her ice cream to Jongin, "Appa?"

Jongin smiled and bent forward to allow his youngest daughter to feed him. He ruffled her hair lovingly before turning to Juhee, "I'm so happy to have both of you home for Father's Day. We all had fun today right?"

The younger of the two yelled in what the family assumed to be agreement and Juhee nodded as well. It had been a fun Sunday. After the usual Sunday morning activities (consisting mostly of everyone sleeping in), the Kim family had gone to the park with all the dogs for a picnic lunch before meeting up with the children's grandparents. It wasn't the most exciting day per se, but Juhee was trying her hardest to keep her dad in a good mood. Sass and sarcasm level on an all-time low, Juhee opted to spend most of her time with Monggah making sure the little Pomeranian was properly cared for and that none of Appa's dogs or Jiyeon didn't play too roughly with him.

The ring of the doorbell chimed through the apartment and her little puppy woke up from his nap excited. He had always favored Luhan, though that probably had more to do with Luhan bringing treats every time he came over. Juhee glanced surreptitiously at her mom who gave her a knowing look before turning to her husband. "We're going to watch Iron Man next right?" she asked as Juhee excused herself to get the door.

Opening it with Monggah in her arms, so that he wouldn't decide to explore the outside world without a leash, Juhee saw a well-dressed Luhan holding a bouquet of flowers. "Hey" He greated before taking the puppy from your hands and replacing it with the flowers. "Should I come in or just wait outside for you...?

"Uh...inside? I've won eomma over but I think he'll be more upset if you didn't say anything to him..."

Luhan nodded slowly, carefully stepping inside and taking off his shoes. "Was I supposed to have brought a peace offering or something? It is Father's Day..." He muttered to himself, clearly a bit nervous to face his bandmate. It was their one year anniversary but it was also Father's Day, and her boyfriend clearly felt a little guilty taking Juhee away from her family, especially on one of Jongin's days off.

"He's my dad, not yours." Juhee laughed. She placed the flowers down on a table in the hallway and proceeded to the living room.

"Ah! Luhan's here!" Megan greeted happily, though next to her Jongin was looking a bit miffed to say the least, which only resulted in a soft elbow to the side from his wife.

"Thanks for letting me take her to dinner, especially you Jongin. I know how much you value family time..." Luhan started rambling nervously.

Jongin stood up and shrugged, "It's been a year and you're a good guy hyung..." He looked at Megan who smiled back encouragingly, "so...I should probably start being nicer to you I guess."

Juhee gave her dad a tight hug, hoping to butter him up even more. "Thank you appa!~ I promise that I'll take care of Yeonnie next time so you and eomma can have some alone time." She ended with a knowing smile.

After a few more moments of much lighter conversation, Juhee and Luhan got ready to leave.

"Remember Luhan, I want my baby home by 1am okay?" Megan chided.

"Wow so late Eomma. I didn't expect this of you." Juhee teased.

"Well I trust my daughter, but don't make me regret that, either of you." She teasingly warned. "I better get back inside before your father succumbs to giving Yeonnie more ice cream. Have fun you two!"


"Are you sure we're not going somewhere super fancy?" Juhee asked, looking down at her outfit. She had worn a skirt and cute wedges, but it was definitely not something super formal. Luhan looked a notch or two more dressed-up than her and she was a bit scared that they might not get into wherever they were going if the place had a dress code.

"I would have told you if we were, Yuyu. I promise you'll be fine." Luhan glanced away from the road to comfort her. "You look more pretty than normal tonight though."

"Why do you always insist on surprising me when I don't like surprises." She mumbled to herself.

Luhan only chuckled back a response. "It's because you make a very cute face when you're surprised."

Juhee ignored him and continued her line of questioning. "But where are we going anyways? We've been driving away from the city for at least 20 minutes now..."

"I figured if we were going out to eat, it'd be best if the location was away from the inner city so that we could enjoy it more."

"Ah..." Juhee forgot sometimes that she and Luhan weren't public. He always made sure to make their relationship as normal and pleasant as possible and the people she was around and closest to knew, so she was less affected by it all than she was affected. "Thanks..." Though nevertheless, the publicness of their relationship had always been a slight point of contention between them.

"Of course. Anyways, we're here."

She looked out the window to find that she was staring at a small cafe nestled into the hillside. It wasn't remote exactly, but it was also not the busiest part of the city either. It looked like a coffee shop and a bakery in one, warm and cozy but also with an air of sophistication.

As she took in her surroundings, Luhan had walked around the front of the car to open her door. He smiled and held out his hand to her. "I figured maybe you'd be in the mood for dessert after your family dinner."

Shyly, she took his hand making sure to take his present with her. The two walked inside and Luhan waved at the waiter behind the counter. Soon, they were being led up a set of stairs that opened up to the rooftop. There was a single table there, with a glass roof above and fairy lights hanging down. Luhan turned to her as she looked around, "this seems private enough right?"

She nodded, taking in the view of the skyline, "Yea thank you..."

"Come on, let's sit." Luhan gently pulled her towards the table. Soon after they were seated, the waiter came back with an assortment of mini desserts, most of them fruit based, a cup of coffee and a mango smoothie.

"A smoothie~" Juhee cheered, glad that Luhan knew her tastes so well.

"Actually, the smoothie is mine, I got you a black coffee." At this Juhee glared at her boyfriend which made him crack up. "You know I'm just kidding Yuyu."

"So, what kind of desserts did you get?"

"Anything I thought you'd like." He answered simply, "It's mostly just fruit based items. I asked them for two mango puddings too."

"Really?!" Juhee exclaimed, eyes lighting up.

"Uh huh, and since it's our anniversary your boyfriend will let you have both of them." He replied proudly. "As long as I get a few bites."

"But you're much too manly for mango pudding Hannie." She teased, taking the cup from the tray in front of them. "In fact you're too manly for all of the desserts here, I'll just have to eat them all by myself."

"Yahhhh Liu Jieyu, don't be like this." Luhan mock whined, sipping his coffee.

"But they're so cute, none of them are manly enough for you. Look this one is even in the shape of a cute bunny." She noted, pointing out the bunny donut. "And most of them are very girly, maybe you should take them home for Kyungsoo samchon instead."

Luhan gave his girlfriend a playful smile before standing up, "Well if you insist on not sharing I suppose I should just leave now..." He sighed, standing up and pretending to walk away.

"Ahhhhh Hannie, come back I'll share!"


"Thank you for tonight Hannie and the flowers." Juhee thanked, finishing the last bite of her fruit tart.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it." Luhan answered, before putting a small box on the table. He smiled at her, apparently, very cute surprised face, "Last thing, I promise."

Hesitantly, she reached out for the box, finding a delicate silver ring on a chain when she opened it. Juhee's eyes widened and she snapped her head up, facing Luhan confusedly. He wasn't asking...?

Luhan blushed. "I just thought that...it's been a year and—couple rings are a thing in Korea aren't they?" He floundered a bit before continuing. "I'm not—" He cleared his throat, "this isn't like that...do...you like it?"

The ring was silver, with a matching delicate chain. Engraved on its side was a tiny deer silhouette drawn with elegant wispy lines along with small stones, on the inside a small 06.15.2013 was engraved. She nodded gratefully, "Yea, I like it a lot."

"Can I put it on you?" He asked timidly. Again, Juhee nodded, blushing because she was well aware of her own capability of putting on a necklace. Regardless, Luhan came around the table and fastened the chain on her neck, moving her hair out of the way carefully. Belatedly, Juhee realized that Luhan had been wearing a similar ring the entire night, except in black.

"Now, time for your presents." Juhee quipped brightly, hoping to move on to keep herself from becoming too emotional or too flustered over her boyfriend's romantic gesture. She patted the seat beside her and handed Luhan the gift bag once he sat down.

Luhan pulled out the map first, unfolding it in wonder. Thankfully, though not without some searching, Juhee had found one she deemed pretty enough in shades of grey, black, silver, and white. He then pulled out the metallic push pins and black sand hourglass. "What's all this Yuyu?" He questioned.

She blushed, a little embarrassed at how sentimental she had made the gifts. "I thought maybe you could use the maps and pushpins to mark all the places you've traveled to. It should look nice in your room, and if you put it on a corkboard, it'll be portable in case you guys ever move dorms or do promotions in China."

Luhan nodded his understanding. "I like the color scheme, I'll have to make sure the rest of the members don't try and use it though." He joked, laughing. "And what about the hourglass?"

"Uh...um the time I've spent with you has been...really wonderful, here's to more time and more fun." Juhee mumbled out embarrassedly. She had specifically chosen more mature and chic types of gifts so that Luhan wouldn't feel the , but here she was tripping over all of her words.

Though her boyfriend didn't seem to mind too much, "Yes, lots more time and lots more fun. Lots more us." He reached out and cupped her face in his hand before kissing her softly and sweetly. "Wo ai ni, happy anniversary."

Juhee buried her head into his chest, listening to his pounding heart racing to the same rhythm as hers. "Me too."


Wo ai ni - I love you in mandarin

Confused why Kai is Juhee's dad but Luhan (Kai's hyung) is her boyfriend? Click -> HERE

a/n: I'm back with an update. How is everyone's weekend plans looking? I have none boohoo, but sometimes alone time is nice too :) Leave me some comments below, just to talk, about the chapter, whatever you'd like. I'd love to get to know my readers more. Until next time, stay strong, think about the positives, one day at a time.

ALSO to the ExoL detectives among us, reread carefully and look at the Luhee dynamics, what kind of pet names get thrown around, verbal/physical displays of affection, etc. It'll give you a guess to the issue concerning the couple in the next chapter.

Love, Juhee

Interesting Fact: I think hourglasses are super cool for no real reason at all. I think I find the sand falling to be very soothing.