New Year's Eve

When It Counts

Date Occurrence: December 31, 2014-January 1, 2015


"Twenty minutes until 2015 everyone!" Junmyeon announced excitedly. It was clear that the usually responsible 'gramps' had a sip or three to drink over the duration of the evening. Not enough to push him to do anything ridiculous but definitely enough to make his company more amusing and enjoyable than usual. Juhee of course was thankful because it meant less seemingly never-ending questions about her studies. The cash flow, like Junmyeon himself, was also much freer, Juhee noted with a sly smile, patting the sizeable wad of money in the pocket of her jeans.

It was nice having the Exo family gathered for the New Year's Eve. Jinwon had fallen asleep a while ago so the conversations had calmed down, but given the Beagle line's presence, not by much. Thankfully the walls were largely sound-proof, since composition inspiration came at weird hours in the dorm, but they all gathered in front of the TV after Joonmyeon's announcement to wait for the ball to drop.

Jiyeon hopped off her favorite Uncle Soo's lap and climbed into Juhee's.

"What is it?" The older sister asked, already recognizing the younger one's tactics (She had taught the young grasshopper well).

"Yeonnie wants juice."

"You know you have to ask Eomma." Juhee reminded her, fondly brushing knots out of her sister's hair.

Megan who had been engaged in the conversation with their Aunt Renea was close enough to overhear the exchange between her daughters.

"Only half a glass Yeonnie, it's almost bedtime. Remember to say please."

Jiyeon turned to her sister, eyebrows furrowing angrily and in her best impression of who could only be Do Kyungsoo, "Please~"

Juhee sighed, clearly the young one was taking lessons from other teachers, but stood up to take her sister to the kitchen for her snack. The younger decided she couldn't wait for her sister to navigate around the adults and ran to the kitchen.

"Kim Jiyeon, walk!" She called after the little girl hopelessly.

Yeonnie giggled loudly from the kitchen, which Juhee found to be caused by Luhan tickling her mercilessly. He stopped when Juhee entered the kitchen and shot her a smile.

"Where have you been?" She asked her boyfriend while pouring Jiyeon's juice into her sippy cup.

"Hm just talking to your brother," he replied and obliged to Jiyeon's cries for more tickling.

Juhee raised an eyebrow, "Interesting. What about?"

Luhan smirked. "Wouldn't you like to know~"

She scoffed and shrugged nonchalantly, "No, not that much actually. Yeonnie, here's your juice."

The little girl squirmed out of Luhan's arms and ran off again with her juice in hand, probably to find her Prince Kyungsoo. Juhee began to follow after her when a pair of strong arms s around her waist.

"Not so fast," Luhan chuckled. "I feel like I haven't seen you all evening."

"Well apparently you've been enjoying Jaehun's manly company more than mine," Juhee pointed out, leaning back, indicating that she wasn't actually upset. It was comforting to see Luhan get along so well with her family. She could only imagine how different the situation would be if it was someone else...

Her boyfriend replied to her mock jealousy, voice low. "Don't worry, I'm all yours at midnight."

Juhee's cheeks flushed in combination to her boyfriend's warm breath brushing against her ears and cheek and to the promise he had made. Flustered, she broke out of his arms.

"We're with my family, and 9 other guys, you can't say things like that." She reasoned.

Luhan looked around the empty kitchen. "Looks like we're pretty alone right now though," he responded mischievously.

As if on cue, a voice from the living room called out, "five minutes!"

"Where's Juhee and Luhan?" Jongin asked, a bit of suspicion edged on his tone.

Juhee gave him an 'I told you so' look and sauntered out of the kitchen. He followed behind and the two rejoined the others in the living room. As the time neared midnight, Juhee found herself getting nervous. Luhan wasn't going to make a move in front of her parents was he? Baekhyun and Chen oppa would to the end of the world for the rest of her life. She didn't even want to entertain the thought of what Exo's two maknaes, Sehun and Tao would say or do...

"7...6...5...4...3...2...1! HAPPY NEW YEAR!" Voices thundered in the living room.

Everyone greeted each other with warm hugs or joking kisses. The two married couples kissed lovingly as expected (some more deeply than others).  To Juhee's relief (and unexpected slight disappointment), Luhan hugged her and quickly peeked her cheek. Jiyeon even planted an exaggerated kiss on Kyungsoo, following her parents' example.

"Yah Kim Jiyeon, the only boys you're allowed to kiss are your brothers or appa." Jongin complained jokingly.

"Daddy looks a little busy if you ask me," Sehun retorted in his typical bratmaknae way.

"Jongin-ah, we can leave and give you some time alone if you and Megan-ssi want to finish up...or get started rather." Baekhyun teased.

Amidst the humorous exchange, Juhee's phone buzzed, notifying her of a text.

          "Meet me on the rooftop."

She glanced around, wondering why Luhan was texting her when they were in the same room. Apparently he must have slipped out because he was nowhere to be seen.

Juhee walked towards the front door, grabbing her shoes as she passed the mess of shoes in the entryway, hoping her absence would also go unnoticed by the happy company.

"Where are you going dear?" Her mom's voice sounded behind her.

Juhee froze. Conveniently, her dog waddled up to her.

"I'm taking Monggah outside, he's a bit hyper and maybe some fresh air will calm him." She asserted confidently, picking up the little Pomeranian and grabbed his leash.

"Don't be out too long, it's late." Jongin warned.

Juhee breathed a sigh of relief, escape with relative ease, not common in the Kim household. She rode the elevator a few floors up to the roof. Since Luhan was afraid of heights and she didn't particularly like them either, Juhee was a bit confused why he asked to meet there. Yet there he was, sitting on a bench facing the edge of the roof. Granted, the bench was a distance away from the edge but it didn't calm her heart and probably not Luhan's either.

"How could you sneak away like that?" Juhee teased, sliding beside him on the bench.

Luhan grinned, "Would you have preferred to stay and watch everyone get coupley instead?

She nodded her agreement. "Point taken."

Just then, fireworks exploded in the sky and Juhee jumped closer to Luhan in surprise. Monggah found refuge in the space between Juhee's and Luhan's feet, covering his ears with his paws. Luhan stretched out his arm to bring his girlfriend in closer and she rested her head on his shoulder for comfort.

"See? I'm all yours now, just like I promised." He stated.

She laughed, "Nope. It doesn't count. It's not midnight anymore."

Luhan sighed in mock exasperation, "I should have just kissed you in front of everyone then."

"Well...if you value your life, you wouldn't dare."

Luhan turned his head to face her, brushing his cheek against her hair. "Does your mom hate me that much?"

Juhee pretended to think for a moment, humored by how concerned Luhan was about all of this.

"Weeeelllll..."

"Yuyu, please."

"I'm just kidding," Juhee patted his knee reassuringly. "She really does like you. I just think she remembers how her and appa were at my age and..."

"And what?"

Juhee shook her head. "It doesn't really matter. We're totally different people, you and I, us and them."

Luhan laced his fingers through hers. "You think so?"

"Well I mean yeah...do you not think that?" Juhee returned his question.

He shrugged. "Of course we're different, but there are some similarities."

"Such as?" She asked, sincerely curious. The idea of being similar to her parents was a bit off-putting.

Luhan smiled, "They're in love, we're in love."

"Wow so cheesy," she scoffed, muttering softly to hide the rising corners of .

"Hm love makes people do crazy things, you know?" He said matter-of-factly. "For example, I'm up here, on the top of this building. I took an elevator to get up here so we could watch the fireworks alone without everyone else. Love is a scary thing Yuyu."

Juhee leaned her head on Luhan's shoulder again. "So brave Hannie." She complimented sincerely. Both of them knew how great of a sacrifice simply being up on the roof was for the other. But that made the moment infinitesimally more special.

"You make me brave," he replied, her hand with his thumb. "If I ever manage to conquer any heights again, rest assured it'll be because of you."

After a comfortable moment of stargazing, Juhee asked, "so did you have any other plans besides watching the fireworks?"

"Well...sort of." Luhan smirked. "I hadn't formally planned it but I kind of wanted to kiss you."

Juhee lifted her head off his shoulder. "Oh...well I mean if you want to we can do that..."

Luhan leaned in closer, "Hmmm the question is do you want me to?"

"I...wouldn't mind."

Luhan took that as consent and seized her lips with his own. Monggah's lease fell from Juhee's wrist and her arms slowly draped around Luhan's neck.

"I love you," he murmured between kisses.

The sincerity of his words woke the butterflies in Juhee's stomach, but she didn't really feel embarrassed by it at all. Instead she replied with more conviction than ever, "I love you too."


a/n: Surprise!~ I'm avoiding finals lol...yea I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter and I will probably see you in 2 weeks after my finals are over and done with :) Also leave me some comments to read, it always makes me feel happy to know the things I upload give you guys feels if that :P

Love, Juhee

Interesting Fact: I once was at the Seattle Tower with friends, the one with the glass flooring. My friends forced me on the elevator and wow I have never hyperventilated and cried so hard in fear.