Doubt

My Eternal Love

~Ren~ 

It was the day of the Lantern Festival, so there was no work and I was free until the festival started at night. Sulli was going to get ready with the girls, and she told me to help V out at his restaurant since she was busy.

“You should talk to him more. V’s super nice and funny.”

I sighed. “Okay, fine, I’ll go, but only because you want me to.”

She grinned. “Good! Meet me back here at the palace before the festival starts.”

At the restaurant, I helped V take orders from customers and clean the tables. During break, we sat down in the back storage room and ate lunch. “How do you know Sulli?” I decided to ask him casually.

He looked at me. “I was lost in the flower field just like you were, and Sulli found me there and helped me get used to the Spirit World. We spent a lot of time together, but these days she has her hands full, so we haven’t been seeing each other as often.”

I crossed my arms, leaning back in my chair. “She’s just helping me out, that’s all.”

“She tried to help me find my way home too, but I chose to stay here.”

“Seriously? Why?”

“The Spirit World is so peaceful. No wars, no poverty, and everything is beautiful and calm. This is my home now. I love running the restaurant.”

I nodded slowly. “Hmm…you have a point. But I’m still set on going back.”

V shrugged. “Do what you want, Ren. I don’t blame you; you’re new here so of course you’re missing Earth badly. I’ve been here awhile now so I’ve stopped missing it.”

Now was a good time to ask him about the other thing that had been on my mind lately. “What’s your relationship with Sulli? Are you dating her?”

“No. Why?”

“Then can I like her?”

He narrowed his eyes. “You like Sulli?”

“I think so.”

V stood up abruptly. “When she found me, and I saw her for the first time, there was a special bond between us. Has she told you about bonds?”

I shook my head, confused. “No.”

“Whoever finds you in the Spirit World becomes connected to you by this bond. It’s like being attached to that person, in a way that’s unbreakable. You’re bound to them and you can’t change your feelings.”

“Really?” I rose to my feet. “Sulli never told me that.”

“It’s true.” Hi expression stiffened. “I like Sulli, but she said that I only feel this way because of the bond. So it’s possible that you only like her in that way because you’re bonded to her.”

 “Is there any way of breaking it?”

“Not that I know of, and you can’t escape the Spirit World as long as you’re bound to someone.”

Silence settled over us, before V finally led me back to the main counter to resume work. I felt dizzy and exhausted, with his words echoing in my head. Would I be stuck here forever? Why hadn’t Sulli told me about the bond? Did she not trust me or something?

After working for a few more hours, I headed back to the palace, a million emotions running through me.