Bittersweet

My Eternal Love

~Sulli~

Every day that we had left together, we spent in each other’s company. Ren would always come over once he got off work and he’d stay for the night and leave in the early morning when it was still dark outside. Sometimes I was called out of my room to serve men with the other gisaengs or for music and poetry lessons, but he waited patiently for me to return. I didn’t hear him complain a single time. Still, I wondered about how he believed I was his Sulli. His bond to me was stronger than ever, and the only way of truly knowing how strong it was would be when he left and it got severed. If Ren still remembered me, even once he was back on Earth, maybe it had been true love. But I would never know.

“What are you thinking about?”

I shook my head. “Nothing.”

He was looking at me, his blond bangs falling into his eyes. “Don’t worry, Sulli. I’m not gone just yet. You still have to put up with me for some time longer,” he teased.

“So I should save my worrying for later, that’s what you’re saying?”

“Don’t worry at all. Even when I’m gone, don’t worry and be happy with V. Smile when you think of me, because I want to remain as a happy memory in your heart.”

Tears welled up but I blinked them away. “My precious memory,” I replied. “I will never forget you.”

Ren smiled. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I finished my painting- it was of the flower field beyond the gates of the Spirit World.

 

 

~Ren~

“You’ve been spending a lot of time with Sulli,” observed V.

I stared down at the green grass beneath my feet, silent. Tomorrow would be my last day in the Spirit World. The morning after that, I was going to leave forever. I could hardly believe it.

“There’s just a little bit of time left. It’s really not much. Soon you’ll be gone.”

I stood up and faced V, who also stood, surprised. “Take good care of her when I’m gone. Make sure she’s happy and spend a lot of time with her. Visit her often. Buy her delicious food and listen to all her stories, read the poetry she writes, let her play music for you, and look at her paintings with interest. Better yet, become her muse or something. Just make sure she’s happy with you.”

He coughed, and now it was his turn to avoid my gaze. “O-of course, Ren.”

“You love her, don’t you?”

V nodded.

“Then don’t ever let your love for her go away. Promise me. V, look up at me and promise me.”

His eyes locked with mine, and I saw that they were shiny, maybe with tears. “I promise. And…we won’t ever forget you, Ren! I hope that you’ll be happy in the human world and that you live a good and exciting life. After all, you can see your family and friends after so long. If that kind of life was for me, I would go back too, but as you know, I’m content here.”

“Thanks, man. I know I can count on you.”

“I have to get back to work now. See you later.”  He turned and headed down the road back to his restaurant.

I went back to the palace, doing chores and running small errands; today was a slow day with nothing hectic to get taken care of. A few times I bumped into Krystal even while trying to avoid her and her friends. I didn’t want to make it awkward for her after our last conversation in my bedroom, when she’d confessed to me and I’d rejected her. I felt bad, but what could I do?

At the Gisaeng House late that night, I walked into Sulli’s room and saw that she was asleep, slouched over the low table, a paint brush in one hand and gripping a paper scroll in the other. I gently set the paintbrush and scroll down and fixed up the blanket and pillow she slept on. Then I picked her up and carried her there- she was in a deep sleep, not showing any signs of waking up soon. The soft expression on her face was angelic, like Sleeping Beauty. Her dream must have been peaceful. I hoped everyday would be filled with peace and joy for Sulli, V, Krystal, and everyone else I was leaving behind.

Back at the Palace of Lights, I couldn’t fall asleep, and stayed awake the whole night. I felt an odd excitement, nervousness, and nostalgia. My stomach was twisting into knots, my heart thundering, and blood rushing to my head. I had one day left, and I was determined to make the most of it.