walking home

The monster inside Me ***(HIATUS)***

Taking a different route home, you found yourself walking past a small store that was surrounded by old, run down and abandoned buildings. "This must have been the spot that they evacuated a long time ago" you thought as you looked to see if anyone was around but only saw dust and trash in the streets and on the sidewalk.

 

You'd never heard why this part of Seoul had been evacuated, if this even was the right spot, all you knew was that everyone who was affected by the evacuation didn't like talking about it.


Looking at the small store, you decided to open the door and see if anything had been left behind.

 

Stepping inside, you were shocked at the sight in front of you. At least half an inch of dust covered the floors but everything on the shelves and even the refrigerator doors were spotless and filled with food. "May I help you" an old, small voice spoke suddenly, causing you to jump at the unexpected sound. "Oh uh I was just looking. I didn't know anyone was here. I thought this was the part of town that'd been evacuated and I decided to see what it was like in here" you replied, rubbing the back of your neck as you noticed a small, elderly woman standing in a doorway, which had had the door removed, towards the back right corner of the shop.

 

"Agmh" the woman coughed before clearing "yes it is. You're not mistaken" She smiled sweetly.


The smile on the woman's face was so sweet, she had one of those smiles that made you smile back instantly. "Well if you'd like to look around feel free" she said as she shuffled her feet to turn and make her way through the doorway behind her. Turning around after walking through she smiled at you once more "my family lives here in the back of the store. You're free to come say hello if you'd like" she invited you.

 

"How do you know so much English?" You blurted out without thinking about it before the old lady could walk away.


"I studied and even lived in America for several years back when I was young like you" she replied sweetly, smiling again before she shuffled away, disappearing behind the walls of store.

 

Looking around, you could see a room behind the doorway where you'd met the older lady. Clothes and empty soda cans laid across the floor and couch in the dark room, a small light from a TV lit the room up in a low blue color.

 

Walking towards the doorway that led to the room, your footsteps stopped as a tall, shadowy figure appeared in the hallway before the open room. The figure stopped dead in its tracks as it spotted you. Looking up to see who it was, you instantly realized why the figure had stopped so abruptly. It was Chanyeol.

 

"H..hello" he stuttered as he waved at you shyly, you could tell he didn't know much English by the way he had spoken.

 

Standing frozen in your place, you smiled awkwardly as you waved shyly back, "hello" you barely managed to squeak. you both stood where you were before you looked away, rubbing the back of your neck again. "I'm just going to leave now" you said, avoiding his gaze as you continued to rub your neck. "Bye" you waved again as you turned around and paced out of the store, leaving Chanyeol standing in the hallway, watching you Intently as you left.

 

"Well that was awkward" you said to yourself as you gripped onto your backpacked and headed home.