f o u r t e e n

Silent Love

 

 

 

"Buttercup," a familiar voice called Hayoung from the back when she was walking down the hallway to her class.

Hayoung frowned; the voice sounded so familiar, and the 'buttercup' was familiar too, but, this voice calling her 'buttercup' was new. She never expected anyone else beside Jongin to call her 'buttercup'. Jongin probably had influenced him. She sighed when realized a lot of eyes were on her. Of course because that 'buttercup'.

"How is your foot?" his arm wrapped around her shoulder, in a friendly way. How did he know about her foot? No surprise. If Naeun knew about her foot, then it meant the whole group would know it.

Hayoung shot him a weird look. This was something that only Jongin did to her. Jongin probably really influenced people around him to act like him. She wondered who would call her 'buttercup' next. Came to think of it, maybe only this guy because they were pretty close to each other to compare with Kris. Plus, Kris wasn't someone who would do something like this. She wouldn't have to worry about it.

"Did you get this from Jongin, huh Chanyeol?" she tried to remove Chanyeol's arm, feeling uncomfortable when people around her were whispering to each other while shooting her a look-at-her-flirting-with-him look. "It's almost fine, by the way," she continued, answering his question.

"Probably. I'm jealous of Jongin," he smiled - that was a lie of course and he was sure Hayoung wouldn't believe it.

"What nonsense is this?" Hayoung let out a small laugh. Hayoung stopped when she arrived at the class and turned to Chanyeol, "see ya during lunch, okay spiderman?" she made an 'OK' sign and Chanyeol replied with the same sign, laughing.

"But, what with spiderman?" he asked.

"Jongin is superman, you're spiderman," she replied shortly.

"Then, what is Sehun?" a not so evil smirk appeared on his face

"Just go to your class already," she exclaimed while walking into her class, ignoring Chanyeol who was still with his laugh outside the class.

"What's wrong with Chanyeol? Why is he talking about Sehun since early in the morning? Couldn't he ask what is Kris instead of Sehun?" Hayoung mumbled alone while taking out her biology laboratory manual which she borrowed from Namjoo since it was different from the one from her school. Not that she hated talking about Sehun in the early morning but she didn't expect that kind of question from Chanyeol. Then, what is Sehun? She thought to herself. Batman? Ironman? Ayee, no no. My man.

"Come to your sense Oh Hayoung," she cringed alone at her thought.

"Did you just have some weird thoughts about me?"

Hayoung lifted up her face, looking at the voice owner. Oh Sehun was standing right in front of her with his poker face.

"There is no way," Hayoung stuttered. She looked away from Sehun; how long has he been here? She thought to herself. She was sure Sehun wasn't there when she entered the class earlier. Was she really being so deep in thought that she didn't even notice Sehun? That made no sense to her - she didn't have so much on her mind. "Can you tell Naeun I'm going to the lab first?" she quickly took the books, and without waiting for Sehun's reply, she went out from the class. This is so awkward.

 

 

-

 

 

The bell rang, signing that the school just ended. Hayoung was still at her table, showing no sign of going home anytime sooner. Naeun on the other hand, was getting ready to leave the class. Since there were no club activities for today, and they also weren't planning to go out, Naeun decided to leave school early.

"I'm going first," Naeun waved her hand to both Hayoung and Sehun as she walked out from the class. Hayoung replied her with a nodded and waved back at her, while Sehun was focusing on his book.

Hayoung looked around the class which had become almost empty even though it was barely ten minutes after the school ended. Most of the students were already going home, and some of them were still in the school, spending their time in the library or club rooms. Hayoung would go to the library while waiting for her mum if she didn't injured her foot, but unfortunately she did. She decided to wait for her mom in the class as the library was on level three.

She drifted her eyes to the guy in front of her seat - why doesn't he go home yet, she thought as her eyes fixed on him. She still couldn't get over what happened in the morning. Why did she think out loud? Why he was there? Did he hear everything? - That was everything she had on her mind for the whole school hours, and even now.

"Hayoung," Jongin showed up in the class, "are you sure you'll wait for your mom?" he asked her, the same question as yesterday.

She nodded, "my mom said she'll pick me up."

She had told him about that last Sunday night. She used to go back with Jongin before but now that her foot wasn't fully recovered, she decided to wait for her mom finished with her work; she didn't want to trouble Jongin. It was indeed they lived in the same neighborhood but, her house was a few houses away from his. Knowing how kind hearted Mrs. Kim was, she knew Mrs. Kim wouldn't let her walk by herself and would send her to her house.

"That about two hours more," he said after looking at his wrist watch.

She smiled, "it's okay. I can finish some of the homework in the meantime."

"Okay, then," he nodded knowing Hayoung wouldn't even change her mind. He excused himself and walked away from the class as his mother was already waiting for him.

Hayoung's attention went back to the homework she was doing. She planned to finish as much homework as she could and she only wanted to lazy around in the night. Her hand stopped writing when the answer she got was different from the one from the answer provided in the book. She was sure she solved it right - it was an easy question. She looked around, looking for someone in the class but unfortunately, there was none except for her and Sehun.

"Sehun," she was hesitated to call him but she had no choice. There was no way she would go to the Chanyeol's class just to ask him this one question. "Have you done this question yet?" she asked when Sehun turned to her. Her finger pointed to the question.

Hayoung's heart skipped a beat, no, two beats when Sehun took a closer look at the question pointed by Hayoung - their face was only a few centimeters away. She didn't know when, but when she realized, her eyes were fixed on Sehun instead of the book. Her eyes travelled from the dark brown hair to his hazel eyes. He carried a pointed nose well and his angular cheekbones carved down towards a flinty jaw. Her eyes stopped on his cheek. It was barely visible but he had a scar on his right cheek. Weird enough for Hayoung, she didn't find it as an imperfection, yet it added more perfection to his already perfect face. She couldn't help but to wonder how he got the scar.

"I think your answer is right," Sehun's words snapped Hayoung out of it. "Can I write here?"

Hayoung nodded.

Sehun took Hayoung's pencil and solved the question on the empty space beside Hayoung's solution. It didn't take much time for him to solve the question; he finished it within two minutes.

"It's the same answer as you," he showed his final answer to Hayoung, before turning back to his desk. His hand reached for a few papers in the drawer. He took a quick a look at the papers and gave them to Hayoung afterwards.

"There are some errors in the workbook. This is the errata sheet - I'm sure you don't have it," he handed the papers to her. "Go make a copy," he stopped for a while when realized the reason why Hayoung was still in the school at the time, "never mind. Your foot isn't fully healed yet, I'll go." With that, he stood up and exited the class.

Hayoung eyed him until his figure disappeared from her sight. Her lips twitched, forming a smile. Sehun wasn't always this nice, so it felt good that he actually cared about her. Sehun's attitude towards her changed little by little since the camping trip last Friday. She felt like getting closer to Sehun - the thick wall between them was slowly falling down.

Jihyun walked into the classroom when Hayoung was waiting for Sehun. What Naeun told her on the bus replayed. Hayoung looked at Jihyun who was putting her books into her bag, doubting either she should ask Jihyun or not. Maybe she should if she wanted to know.

"Jihyun," she called for Jihyun's attention, "is Hongbin's birthday in September?" she asked. She was positive the one whom Naeun liked was Hongbin - Naeun did tell her that day when she had lunch with Hongbin and his friend, even though she took back her words, claiming she was kidding about that.

The moment Jihyun opened to answer her question, Sehun arrived at the class.

"Oh, you know?" she asked before nodded her head. "Why? Are you interested in him?" a teasing smile appeared on Jihyun's face. "You two look good together and you are close to him and his friends, right? I saw you with them last... week, maybe? You're lucky!" she squealed happily. "You probably already knew this but, he's still single. So don't lose your chance, okay?" she continued, not giving a chance for Hayoung to stop her. "See ya tomorrow," with that, she made herself out of the class.

When Hayoung got to her original position back, she realized Sehun was standing right in front of her with an unexplainable expression. He handed Hayoung the copy and went to his seat without saying any words, even when she thanked him. Hayoung somehow didn't feel good about it.

Did I say something unpleasant? Did I do something wrong? Hayoung wondered alone looking at Sehun whose mood just changed in a blink.

 


[012116] Hi guys!!! as always - sorry for the late update. hehe and thanks to those who subs and comments and upvote 

btw, who do you think the one that Naeun likes? And who will end up with Naeun at the end?