Chapter Two

Beautiful Scars

The sunrise rolled through the blinds of Scarlett’s window, lining the walls of her bedroom with streaks of sunlight. Her blue eyes blinked rapidly to rid away the blur in her vision, her frail hands reaching up to brush away the light brown strands of hair that stuck to the corner of her lips during her slumber.
Tilting her head to glance at her alarm clock which sat on her nightstand, her eyes widened twice their size as she noticed the time read ‘11:29pm’ in red digits. Scarlett scrambled out of bed, her foot twisted in the blankets and her fragile body fell to the floor in a heap.

Loud footsteps echoed through the silent apartment and the bedroom door burst open revealing a red faced Max. “Are you alright? What happened? Is everything okay? Are you hurt?” Max rambled, scanning the room for any signs or forms of danger.
“I’m fine, I just fell” Scarlett mumbled untwining herself from the sheets on the hardwood floor. Max rolled his chocolate brown eyes, reminding himself that this was a common occurrence in the morning.
“You are so clumsy that sometimes I question if you have two left feet” Max remarked, helping Scarlett up by her forearms. “Come on, spit spot, you have work in half an hour” he reminded, his lips twitching into his common smile.
“You resemble an alarm clock” Scarlett mumbled almost incoherently but loud enough for Max to hear. “What are best friends for?” He stated, grinning at her with adoration. Scarlett screeched as she rushed to collect her uniform, stumbling to the bathroom and closing the door behind her, faintly hearing Max chuckle to himself as he drifted out of the bedroom.

Scarlett glanced in the mirror and grimaced at the sight before her, face pale and un-lively. With no time to waste, she washed her face and brushed her teeth in a hurry, tying her hair up in a loose ponytail.
“This is as good as it’s going to get” she muttered, lightly tapping her cheeks to form a rosy hue. Waltzing out of the bathroom.

She took out a Black skinny jean with white plain T-shirt and navy blue jacket with a pair of red sneakers, and went downstairs, the smell of pancakes wafted throughout the apartment. The silence was interrupted by Scarlett’s stomach growling loudly, as if a volcano had erupted in the pit of her belly.

Max turned around, frying pan in his hand with his eyebrows raised before chuckling and placing two pancakes on a plate.
Wasting no time, Scarlett scoffed down her breakfast within minutes before placing a quick kiss on Max’s cheek and rushing out of the apartment yelling “I’ll be back at eight” over her shoulder.
Before Max had a chance to ask if she needed a ride home, the door was slammed shut and once again, the apartment was engulfed in silence. The only sound heard being the sizzling of the pancakes on the frying pan.