Chapter Seven

Beautiful Scars


“Everything” she screeched as she fell to the floor and Max held her to his chest, cradling her like a baby. “Tell me everything.”


“…And from then on, he’s been following me. I went for a walk to clear my head, I felt like I was trapped in the house and I could barely breathe. All I wanted was some fresh air, I should have listened to my instincts though, and I knew something was strange about that car.”
 Scarlett quietly informed Max, who managed to carry Scarlett to the living room ten minutes ago, carefully placing her on the couch with her legs strewn over his waist. Max’s features narrowed in concentration as he listened to the eventful night and morning his best friend had. 
“What’s his name?” Max stood up, pacing and staring down at Scarlett who looked weak and fragile as she curled up in the pillows. “Lee Taemin” Scarlett stated, his name rolling off her tongue like sweet velvet. Max’s eyes widened and he swallowed thickly, his Adam’s apple bobbing up and down as he cursed under his breath. “You know I would do anything to help you Scarlett, but when Taemin is involved…God I don’t know what to do” he muttered angrily.


Scarlett rose slightly, confusion sweeping across her features as her eyes widened slightly. “You know him?” she breathed as her heart began to race when Max slowly nodded. 
“He’s well known around here Scarlett, I didn’t want to tell you about him because I didn’t think you would need to know…he’s a dangerous and heartless bastard. Running around selling drugs and killing people, he's an absolute lunatic. I haven't met him personally but the things I've heard are enough. I don’t want you going in to work for a while, we need you off his radar” Max paced to the kitchen grabbing the home phone and trudging towards Scarlett’s form. 
“Call in ill” he forced the phone in her grip as Scarlett sat up, “I can’t I need the money for rent and not working will affect my savings” she whimpered as she held her head in her hands. “Fine, but you call me as soon as you sense something is wrong and don’t you dare leave that café tonight alone, I’m picking you up."


***


 


“Have a nice day Mrs Woodhelm!” Scarlett cheerfully exclaimed as a regular customer exited the quiet café. Scarlett wafted around, wiping down some tables and pushing some chairs closer towards their designated table. Joe could be heard mumbling on the phone out the back and Scarlett curiously peered over her shoulder. 
The click of his flip phone was heard as he walked out into vision and ran his hand through his slightly grey hair, “Scarlett do you think you could close up tonight? Eun-ji had another fall at home” he nervously questioned and Scarlett nodded without hesitating. Eun-Ji, Joe’s wife had been having trouble remaining up kept and balanced on her own feet for a few years now, this would be her third fall in two months. Junsu appeared in the doorway removing his apron and Scarlett stopped her movement as she curiously stared at him, his figure walking towards the station to clock off.


“Where are you going?” she asked as Junsu turned and smiled apologetically, “Joe’s sending me home early, it’s my little sister’s ballet recital tonight” he smiled broadly with a hint of pride. 
Scarlett smiled slightly before reality doomed on her when Joe and Junsu headed towards the back door. “We’ll see you tomorrow Scarlett!” they shouted over their shoulders as the door swung back and closed leaving the café in complete silence. ‘When The Levee Breaks' by Led Zeppelin echoed throughout the stores speakers and Scarlett sighed resting backwards on a table. I’m all alone. Just as Scarlett stood up the bell rang, signally a customer had entered. Scarlett turned abruptly plastering a smile on her face that soon dropped at the sight in front of her. Jun.


“Well well well, fancy seeing you here” he smugly announced walking towards Scarlett who scrambled to the counter, distancing herself with the granite barrier. Jun placed his hands on the counter leaning forward slightly and smiling. 
“W-what do you want?” she whispered as her hands suddenly felt clammy, her breathing slightly increasing with each passing second. He was huge. His muscles rippled through the skin of his arms, tattoos covering almost every inch of tanned flesh. He chuckled at Scarlett’s wandering eyes before looking through the display cabinets. “Well since you’re Taemin’s girl and you’re not up for sale, I guess a cookie will have to do” he smirked and glanced down at the freshly baked batch of cookies.


“Um, which flavour would you like?” Scarlett attempted to remain calm and hold on to the slight professionalism she had that remained. “hm, what would you suggest? I’m thinking Macadamia Nut.” Scarlett cautiously approached the cabinet and slid open the doors, grabbing a cookie with a pair of tongs and placing the cookie into a brown paper bag. “That will b-be , ₩ 500 ” Scarlett stuttered sliding the bag across the counter. 
Jun fiddled his large hand in his back pocket for change before handing Scarlett a , ₩500, but just as Scarlett began to retreat her hand Jun grabbed her wrist and pulled her forward.


“You know, if Taemin hadn’t claimed you I would have had you bent over this counter already” he chuckled before glancing down at Scarlett’s chest, his smirk widening. 
“Let go of me!” she shouted attempting to move away but Jun was no match for her small strength. “Come on baby doll, submit a little” his left hand reaching out towards Scarlett’s chest as the door burst open, the bell signifying a dramatic entrance as it fell from the top of the doorframe, rolling on the hardwood floor under a table. Jun turned, his grip immediately removing itself as Taemin’s figure entered the café. He was fuming.


“What the did I told you!? You keep your filthy hands off of her or your dead you hear me?!” he roared trudging towards Jun who raised his hands in surrender. 
“Alright alright, I was just leaving” he stated before turning towards Scarlett, “thanks for the cookie” he winked cheekily and strode out of the café. Taemin stared daggers at Jun's treating form before facing Scarlett. 
“I swear, he’s lucky his my best mate otherwise his blood would have stained this floor” Harry growled marching around the counter and grabbing Scarlett’s waist, backing her up against the counter. Her breath hitched in as Taemin's eyes  softened and his hand her cheek, “are you alright Scar?”