Chapter Four

Beautiful Scars

As the clock struck eight o’clock, Scarlett stacked the last of the chairs on top of the freshly cleaned tables, raising her arms above her head and stretching the sore muscles in her back. Clocking off, she bid goodnight to Joe and Junsu, declining a ride home as the apartment block was a mere five minute walk, ten minutes maximum. 
Wrapping her arms around her small body, Scarlett cursed herself for forgetting to bring a jacket. Scarlett made her way through an alley which led to her apartment, whipping out her phone she decided to text Max that she was on her way home knowing he would worry.


A gust of wind blew the strands of her hair across her face, blinding her vision for a split second. Wiping away the strands from her view Scarlett glanced up, seeing three figures at the end of the alleyway. As she approached, the voices grew louder and less incoherent. A man was helplessly leaning against a wall to hold himself up with the little strength he remained while two tall, broad men stood before him. Scarlett quickly hid behind a dumpster careful to be unnoticed. Squinting her eyes Scarlett struggled to identify the faces in the dark.


As her eyes began to adjust, Scarlett’s hand covered in shock as she recognised two of the men from the café earlier. One of them however was unfamiliar, their back facing Scarlett. “You owe me Jason, I want my money” the man growled, his voice deep and husky. As soon as the words fell from his lips, Scarlett thought of velvet, smooth and rich velvet. The resemblance was uncanny. 
“Please I beg of you, I will get it to you eventually. I just need another week” the man trembled before them, pleading. “You won’t get another week” the tall muscly male barked as the other intimidating figure reached behind his back and pulled out a silver gun from the back of his black jeans. 
Scarlett’s eyes widened, the gun illuminating in the moonlight. “No, please-”…he was on the floor within a second. Blood pooled from his forehead down to the grimy ground in the alley.  


Scarlett’s loud gasp escaped through her fingers, a sob racking through her body at what she just witnessed. Death... the end of an innocent life, someone she conversed with just hours ago. The two males whirled around to see a pair of innocent blue eyes staring at them full of fear and shock. 
“” the muscular male cursed, before approaching Scarlett grabbing her by the shoulder. Flashbacks of how he dragged the poor man from his seat replayed in her mind, leaving her in tears which streamed down her rosy cheeks. “You will forget what you just saw, you understand me?!” The man screamed in her face, her body flinching until she was pressed up against the brick wall.


“Are you listening to me?” He continued to scream, drops of spit hitting her in the face. “Enough Jun ” the mysterious figure stated resolutely. Jun’s face contoured in confusion, staring back at the other male who watched Scarlett with curiosity. His head tilted slightly, looking her trembling form up and down. Jun stepped backwards, allowing the other male to approach Scarlett carefully, as if she would vanish into thin air if he got to close. Scarlett kept her gaze down, not daring to look up. All she could think was “I should have accepted Junsu’s offer for a lift home” or “I should have called Max as soon as my shift ended.” The thoughts were useless, nothing could save her from the dangerous man standing before her.


“What’s your name sweetheart?” The man questioned, seemingly too close for comfort. Scarlett took a deep breath calming her sobs and cries, glancing up and meeting the deep Brown eyes that belonged to a killer. Once their eyes met, she didn’t dare look away. His skin was slightly tan, nowhere as near as pale as Scarlett’s, his hair a mop of curls upon his head. “Scarlett” she whispered. 
“Scarlett” he repeated smiling to himself slightly before his previous deep scowl emerged on his face.


“Do you know who I am?” He queried, looking at Jun then back at Scarlett. 
“No” she answered truthfully and quietly, slightly confused. Jun looked surprised as he glanced at the girl before him whereas the other male looked intrigued. Scarlett decided to speak up again, courageously asking “who are you?” Jun chuckled rubbing his jaw with his hand. The man in front of her smirked stepping closer, staring into Scarlett’s eyes deeply before stating confidently “the name’s Taemin, Lee Taemin.”