Chapter Three

Beautiful Scars

Scarlett hurriedly strode down the street, ignoring the stares she was receiving as her breathing was laboured. Bursting through the door of Wonder Scarlett clocked on precisely one minute early. Throwing a sheepish smile at her manager Joe, the sound of his foot tapping on the hardwood floor demonstrated his impatience. “Sorry Joe, I slept in” she mumbled before rushing towards the back, placing her apron over her head. “What else is new” she heard Joe murmur, a deep scowl on his face. Joe was a middle-aged man who was a complete and utter stress head. Although Joe constantly chastised everyone, he had everybody’s best interests at heart.

 

Wonder Cafe was quite popular, mostly business men and women came in during the day to grab a quick coffee as a pick-me-up. Occasionally, a few couples grabbing a bite, meetings were common as the atmosphere was relaxed and consisted of secluded booths, which were usually occupied. Scarlett loved working at Culture, although she was the youngest worker, she enjoyed having older influences in her life for once. There was Eun Su a 35-year old Beautiful Lady working six shifts a week to support her family of three. She was incredibly sweet, and always called Scarlett “dearie.
”Junsu, the best coffee maker there was, always added fancy designs in the foam. Basically, he was the reason there was a tip jar.

Last but certainly not least, there was Kim Jae Joong. Jae was a ginger haired 27 year-old who was saving up for a trip to Japan where he was born. Jae grew up in Korea , but never felt quite at home, the Korean accent he maintained ‘felt strange and unfamiliar on his tongue’ according to him. Scarlett had been working at Wonder Café for approximately nine months, and apart from Max and his mother, they were her second family.

 

The bell above the wooden door echoed throughout the café, Scarlett’s eyes glancing up to notice a man looking around with a scared expression. The man slowly and carefully approached one of the tables, almost as if he would step on a land mine.
Once seated, the door swung open once again signalling the bell. The startled man stiffened in his seat, chancing a glance over his shoulder to see an innocent looking woman holding her daughters hand walking towards the counter.
“Good evening ma’am, how may I help you?” Scarlett questioned politely as she peeped over at the mysterious man who constantly looked over his shoulder.
“Can I grab two chocolate chip cookies please?” The lady kindly asked, glancing down at her daughter who’s eyes beamed with excitement as she glanced through the glass cabinet at the cookies. “Of course” Scarlett replied, opening the cabinet and placing two cookies in a paper bag. “That will be 3000 Won thank you” she said as she waited for the woman to collect change from her purse. Once paid for, the woman and daughter thanked Scarlett as they waltzed out of the café not noticing the man sitting in the corner, on the edge of his seat.

 

Scarlett felt intrusive as she continued to stare at the man with curiosity, the café surprisingly empty at 12:30 in the afternoon. After restocking the shelves which displayed various options of delicious food, Scarlett timidly walked over to the man. “Excuse me sir” she practically whispered, clearing , the man flinching at the sound of her voice.
“Are you alright? Can I get you anything?” She asked fiddling with her fingers, a nervous habit of hers. “I’m fine thank you, I just needed a place to hide” he quietly muttered.
Scarlett straining to hear his voice. “Hide? From what?” Silence took over the café as the man glanced up at Scarlett for the first time. “Not from what, from who” he stated slightly louder this time. Scarlett’s eyebrows scrunched together in confusion, not knowing how to reply to this man.

 

The bell above the door rang, signalling an entrance. Both Scarlett and the man turned their heads to the left to discover a tall muscly figure in the doorway, eyes trained on the man sitting in front of Scarlett.
“Gotcha” he whispered before striding towards the table, lifting the man by his shoulders and dragging him towards the door. The man cried and pleaded, “please, no! I will give him his money I swear it, give me a second chance!” Scarlett stood in shock and horror, hands trembling and mouth agape as she was frozen to the spot. “He doesn’t give second chances” the large male grunted, heaving the defenceless and terrified man with pleading eyes out the door.

 

The melodic music wafted from the speakers throughout the café, interrupting the eerie silence that followed. Scarlett’s mind whirled with thoughts and questions, who was he? Joe strolled from the back, “what was that ruckus?” Scarlett turned slightly to see Joe wiping his tired eyes, his body weak and worn-out.
“Nothing” she whispered, not wanting Joe to worry. “Did you need some help at the back?” Scarlett asked noticing Junsu placing his apron over his head; he must have entered from the back. “Do you mind taking the rubbish out Scarlett?” Joe requested, as the bell for the door signalled, customers were beginning to pile in. “Sure Joe” she answered, walking towards the back and grabbing the two black garbage bags that sat beside the bin.

 

Ignoring the ghastly smell, Scarlett trudged outside the backdoors into the alley. Throwing the garbage bags into the dumpster, she glanced around sensing a change in atmosphere. A cold shiver ran down her spine, believing she was psyching herself out, Scarlett rushed back inside with only one desire; finish her shift, and go home.