Chapter One

Beautiful Scars


“You are tearing this family apart!” Scarlett’s mother yelled at her father who stumbled, unable to maintain composure.
The living room reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. Scarlett, a small six year old child hid behind the railings of the staircase with tears welling up in her eyes.
“You watch your God damn tone with me woman!” he yelled back, voice growling with drunken anger. “Tell me where she is!” Scarlett’s mother Lucy lifted her head high maintaining her strength and courage.
“I forbid you to see her” she stated, voice breaking slightly as Jin, the man Scarlett called her father, approached Lucy before she was able to simply blink.
His hands reached up and tightened around her neck, applying pressure. “Where is she?” he snarled as Lucy coughed and choked on the little air that was left in her lungs.
“Stop daddy” Scarlett yelled; tears streaming down her face as her hands clutched the railings of the staircase. Jin’s head turned, a small crack was heard from the fast movement. “There you are, my baby girl” he whispered, although it was anything but lovingly. His voice was full of dangerous intent. Lucy was thrown to the floor gasping for air as Jin walked slowly over to the staircase, smiling devilishly at the little girl cowering before him.

___________________________________________________________

Scarlett awoke with a loud gasp of air, her hand rising to her chest feeling her heart race rapidly. A drop of sweat receded from her hairline down her forehead to her cheek. Scarlett quickly wiped it away, uncomfortable in her body drenched in sweat. Throwing the sheets of her body, she felt the cold air hit her skin and goose bumps arose.
“Max” she called throughout the house, her door left open during the night due to the common nightmares that occurred every night.

“Max!” she called again, shakily standing to her feet, eyes welling up.
She suddenly felt scared, terrified that he was here. Her father, hiding in the shadows waiting to attack. A small thump was heard before shuffling feet made their way down the hall.
Max walked in spotting Scarlett standing on shaky legs, her oversized t-shirt clinging to her body due to the perspiration. “Scarlett, is everything okay?” Max mumbled sleepily, rubbing his eyes as his vision clouded with stars momentarily. “Sorry to wake you, I had another nightmare” she  muttered unevenly, feeling guilty for regularly waking Max up in the middle of the night.
“Don’t be sorry love, come here” he said with a small smile, arms opening wide for Scarlett to cuddle into his chest for safety. Max rubbed her back soothingly, eyebrows furrowed.

“Having nightmares is bad Scarlett, but having the same nightmare every night is not normal. I’ve been thinking, maybe you should see a doctor?” Max suggested, hoping not to offend Scarlett as he felt her tense her arms which were wrapped around his waist.
“No please” she added brokenly, Max felt her body shake with sobs, Max’s eyes widening, “ I’m sorry, it’s alright, we will work this out” he rushed as his hand lifted up to grab the back of her head, playing with her hair for comfort.  “Max?” she asked, sniffling. “Yes love?” he retorted, “promise you’ll never leave me” her voice broke as Max’s heart ached at the thought of poor Scarlett ever being alone.

“I will never leave you, you will never be alone” he muttered in determination. “I promise.”