Chapter 9: Jack + Ed

The Good The Bad and the Ignorant

Jack's P.O.V:

                "Hey kid, wanna have some fun?"  off, you tosser, I thought to myself.

"Hey, come on little girl, don't ignore me. Ok, how's this? Let's have some fun tonight, and I'll buy you cigarettes, or you can sleep in my apartment for a night, or both. What do you say?", I looked up at the guy. He looked young and he was somewhat attractive, but he had the same erted, full of lust, lic smile on his face. I didn't say anything. Even if i wanted to, I couldn't. I never talked to anyone, except Sasha, of course. He was the only one I could trust.

"Yah, forget it. Sit there and rot away you ungrateful little ." He said and walked over to Ana. I closed my eyes, sighed and waited for the screaming and shouting.

"Get off me! Let go!" There it was. Ana was always very rude to people and usually got beaten up for it. I wanted to go help her, but I knew I couldn't. I knew she hated my guts and I would make things worse if I butted in. I started getting itchy and my head was pounding. I got up and walked away from the other children. I cautiously took a needle out the pocket of my massive ( not really, it's adult sized) coat and looked at its tip. I had used it quite a few times and it was getting dull, but needles are precious so it doesn't matter to me. I got it from some of the other kids, who I suspect had already used it themselves at least once, but I don't care. Sometimes I honestly hope it's infected so I get AIDS and just die. I pocked the liquid into the vein on my neck and waited for all of it to go in. I couldn't use my arms anymore, and I found that shooting it up my legs was quite a bother, so I resorted to my neck. And suddenly, I was happy. And I didn't care. I didn't care I was cold. I didn't care what was happening to Ana. I didn't care where Sasha was. I didn't care about my surroundings, full stop. I walked back in full euphoria and spotted Haran coming towards me carrying Sasha in her arms. Normally, I would have rushed over to see if he's ok, if he needs help. But I didn't. I just sat there watching them coming closer and closer.

"es", she said and laid him down. I nodded as she walked away and sat down next to him taking a cigar out. I lit it and lied down on his flat sunken stomach. The side effects of the drug were starting to kick in and I was feeling like . Before I knew it, I had drifted of to sleep peacefully.

 

Ed's P.O.V:

               I woke up and surprisingly didn't feel dizzy or like blacking out. Feeling something heavy and painful on me,I looked at my stomach and saw Jack's head and her little fingernails digging into me. I immediately felt guilty for leaving her alone all day yesterday, and even having a meal without her. I remembered the chocolate and other stuff I had stole and immediately after that, I remembered the two guys. What had happened to them? I looked around, but there was no sign of Haran. I decided to let it go, since it wasn't the first time someone had tried to or e me. I searched my pockets for the stolen goods, and found that Haran had took my favorite chocolate, one packet of cigars and most of the toffees. It couldn't be helped since she did save me. I sighed and lit a cigar. I wanted a toffee, but I'd rather leave them all to Jack, since I had eaten yesterday. I looked at the sky and guessed it was around 9am.

"Wake up", I said shaking Jack. Jack opened her eyes yawned and then closed them again turning to the other side.

"Come on Jackie, wake up", I shook her again " I've got toffees, see? Now get up, or I'll have'em all miself and leave you none." Hearing the threat Jack sprung up and grabbed the sweets I was giving her. They disappeared in a matter of seconds. After her 'meal' Jack took the same old familiar needle out her pocket. I felt my heart sinking and being swallowed by guilt once again.

"Do you have a spoon? Mine broke." She whispered. I took mine out silently.

"I'll do it", I said pouring the dust on it and waiting for it to melt. It wasn't our fault. We didn't deliberately start doing drugs. We're just kids, we didn't know about this stuff. Alice was the lucky one. He wasn't with us when we got our first fix. He never tried Heroin or any of the other hard drugs. He somehow always got out of it. That's why they chose him out of the three of us, because of course no one wants heroin-addicted children. He cried that day, he didn't want to leave us, especially Jack. She is his twin, after all.  I'm glad at least one of us will have a normal life. After they took Alice, Jack, Mikai, Ana and I ran away from the orphanage. It was my idea. We ended up on the road where we met Haran and her little gang. It's been a year already.  We got our fix and I couldn't help wondering whether the seven guys would come again.

"Come on", I said getting up. 'Where to?' Jack shook her head. ' Nowhere specific' I answered in the same manner. We started walking around picking chewed gum of the road and eating it, or searching in the bins for leftovers and clothes. The neighborhood we 'lived' in was quiet and a bit outside of Seoul. We walked and walked but there was no sign of the van or the guys.I caught Jack glancing at me.

", I never told you about yesterday, did I? I said feeling guiltier than ever. It was very rare for Jack to talk, and when she did it was only to me when we're alone and only in whispers. Of course she wouldn't ask me, even though she was curious. I told her all about the previous day, about the guy named Alexander, and friendly Kevin, quiet Kiseop, whiny Dongho, playful Soohyun and the weird looks from Eli and Kibum. I told her about the dance teacher/ choreographer and how he said I had talent.

"S-suppose t-'twas one of those entert-tainment-co-company-thingys where Kpop Id-dols come from", I finished at last. It was really cold and we decided to sit down and cuddled close on the edge of the pavement. Many people passed by us. Some glanced at us, but pretended they hadn't and continued walking. Others looked at us disapprovingly, but again walked passed us as if we weren't there. I don't know how long we were there, but I suddenly felt the urge to sniff glue. I had some bags with me, and of course the glue I had stolen so we found an ally and started inhaling the toxic air from inside. As I was getting high, I noticed a man staring at us. I expected him to look away and continue with his busyness, but instead he started walking over to us. I looked at Jack and read her thoughts. We're screwed.