Chapter 1: Ed

The Good The Bad and the Ignorant

     Ed woke up dizzy and confused and looked around him.He couldn't recognize where he was, but he didn't care. The past two days had been a daze and he couldn't remember anything. He looked at the culprit in his hand: a plastic bag with dried glue inside and an empty tube not too far away from him. That was the reason he didn't know where he was or what had happened the past few days and possibly, it was also the reason he was homeless in the first place. He got up slowly putting his cold hand on his hot forehead to calm down his constant headache and temperature. He began walking in no particular direction, banging into walls and objects at times but not bothering to look at what they where. At some point he stopped and looked at the road.It was the early hours of the morning and it was still dark so he couldn't see where he was going. Not that he knew, anyway. All he wanted right now was to find moneyarrow-10x10.png to buy more glue and cigarettes.He sighed heavily and continued walking. His legs were trembling, his breath was short and his vision was getting blurry. The only thing that was keeping him going was the thought that he had to feed his addiction. Fast. At some point his surroundings began to seem familiar and the more he walked the surer he got that he had found his way "home". His legs collapsed and he fell on his knees, but didn't bother to get up again. Somewhere near him he could hear children arguing and could see a certain tiny figure in the distance shouting and rolling on the ground fighting a bigger figure on top of her. Ed could have gone over to help his sister and gang up on Ana together, but he decided this was her fight and she'd get angrier if anyone interfered, else she wouldn't feel she'd earned whatever she was fighting for. Vodka, most probably. He sat back and watched the fight feeling prouder and prouder as his sister started winningarrow-10x10.png. A boy approached him and stuck something right under his nose.Ed looked up and saw Mikai (this was  just a nickname Ed had given him.His real name was Minkyu) waving 7000 won in his face.

 "I betarrow-10x10.png you 7000 won Ana will winarrow-10x10.png", he said with a grin on his face, certain that he was right. Ed smiled slyly. Sure, Jack was slightly stunned in growth and was basically skin and bones, but she was very strong and feisty despite her age and had never lost a fight to anyone, not even to him, who was 3 years older than her. This usually frustrated Ed a lot, but this time he was thankful that this was the case. 7000 won wasn't a lot, only about 5.60 euros, but it was still enough to buy  tube of glue.

"Deal", he said looking at his friend with the corner of his eye.Mikai knew that look all too well and he knew that he had got himself into trouble but his pride wouldn't let him cancel the betarrow-10x10.png.He sat quietly watching the fight mentally cursing himself for losing the only moneyarrow-10x10.png he had almost as soon as he got it, or rather, stole it.

       Soon the other street children heard the noise and gathered around the two fighting kids shouting and cheering them on, encouragimg the to fight harder, while others where bettingarrow-10x10.png on who would winarrow-10x10.png. The fight was getting bloody as Ana started coughing up blood and Jacks mouth was a bloody mess with one of her milk teeth punched out. Even so, it was clear who was going to win since Ana had got tired after almost 10 minutes of screaming, shouting, punching, kicking and being punched and kicked, while Jack was going steady ignoring the bruises on her body and her bleeding knuckles.

       Suddenly, Jack felt her head being jerked back violently and saw Anas' doing the same before landing on the concrete and blacking out.           Realizing what was happening Ed got up and ran towards his sister picking her up and trying to make a run for it before having his own head pulled back in a firm grip. Ed gasped in pain but didn't let go of Jack, holding her tight so she doesn't get the punishment.

"Alright, shows over, get back to your own businesses, you maggots." Ed looked up warily. , he mentally cursed himself. He had forgotten about Haran. Haran was the boss of their little "gang" as she was 16, the oldest and was always cursing at them and giving them orders , but deep down she really cared for all of them, even if she didn't like to show it. Ever.

" What are you looking at, you little ?" she said when she caught his eye and slapped him hard across his face."Funny, is it? Your little sister bashing herself and other kids, eh? Think it's funarrow-10x10.png,do you?", and with that threw him on the ground and kicked his spine.Ed didn't say anything. He lay on the ground, tears forming in his eyes out of frustration. Haran sighed and walked away.

"You alright?" he heard a sudden little whisper.He looked down and saw Jacks' red swollen eyes looking straight into his.

"I'm fine" he mumbled letting go of her and getting up.

"Sasha" he felt a tug at his trousers and looked down."I got moneyarrow-10x10.png" Jack whispered, her eyes filled with glee."Lets go buy vodka and glue and, you know, the other stuff" she said hinting towards her veins.Ed looked at the moneyarrow-10x10.png in her hand.

"How much do we have?"

"Around 375 euros"

"How-"

"I've been saving up" Jack said proudly.Ed wasn't sure if she was telling the truth, but he decided to let it slide. He didn't care as long as they had the moneyarrow-10x10.png, anyway.

"Okay, well that's about 4720... 47141.... 471418... won maybe? I'm not sure but i think it's enough.Let's go." And with that they set off.