Chapter 10: Ed

The Good The Bad and the Ignorant

 Ed and Jack tried to hide the glue-bags and look normal, but deep down they were scared less. That man could be anyone, an undercover cop, or someone from child services, generally someone who would force them back into an orphanage and foster-care. As he came closer, Ed was almost sure he had seen him before recently. The man stopped about half a meter away from them and looked at both of them carefully.

"Alex?", he asked at last settling his eyes on Ed.

"Do I know you?", Ed asked unconsciously pulling Jack closer to him.

"Yes...well sorta...I'm the second manager of Ukiss...em, I was the driver, remember? Yah, we never really met, did we?", the man said nervously smiling.

"Ah..yeah", Ed said remembering. No wonder he seemed familiar.

"Em..so, what are you doing?" the manager asked.

"Err, we're just, em, you know, nothing much."

"Good, good...Is that you brother?"

"Sister"

"Ah, I see. You really look alike."  Ed nodded and there was an awkward pause.

"Well", the manager said at last "if you don't mind, can I ask you a few questions?"

"Sure, why not?"

"But I need you to be completely honest." Ed hesitated. He wasn't good with honesty.

"...Ok"

"Do you have a home?

"No"

"Ok, where are your parents?

"Have none"

"But you told Xander-"

"I lied"

"I see....so you smoke?"

"Yes"

"Do you perhaps do any other drugs?"

"Why are you asking me all this?" The manager seemed taken aback.

"Well look kid, to cut a long story short, you seem to have talent, alright? And right now, that talent is going wasted. There's an open spot in Ukiss, how would you like to fill it? You'll have to at least do a month of training, though. So, what do you say?"  Ed looked at him in disbelief. How was it possible? It was too good to be true. Was he high and hallucinating? Or was this a prank?

"So?", the manager asked again.

"Ok"

"Alright, come with me then"

"What, right now?"

"Why, do you have any business to take care of?"

"No just", he looked at Jack and back at the manager. " Yeah, let's go."

"Will she be alright alone?"

"What?"

"The girl. You just gonna leave her here?"

"Do you have any spots open for girls?"

"No,sorry mate. She could be a trainee, I suppose. How old is she?"

"Nine"

"Nah, sorry mate, too young."

"That's alright. She can stay here, she's used to it anyway", he said turning to Jack. "Stay here, alright? I'll be back soon. And don't do anything stupid. Or, you know what? Just go. I'll find you anyway" , he said in Russian. Jack didn't react, but she didn't have to. Ed would do what he wanted anyway.

"Ok, let's go", the manager said leading Ed away. Ed glanced back at Jack one last time before getting into the van with the manager and driving away.


Hi. So i decided to change the chapter a bit towards the end. Sorry i went away for so long, lots of tests and e. Anyways hope you like it, and if you're in the mood leave a comment or so, and tell me if you didn't like something. bb :)