Chapter 3

No past, no future

Have fun! <3

 


 

Luhan always hated the mornings. The infiltrating sunshine through the curtains didn’t mean delight for him, the morning didn’t mean a new day full of challenges. No. It was just a part of the day which dragging him out of dreamland put him into the reality. Into the cruel reality which was full of desperation, misery but for him mostly emptiness.

He loved sleeping. His brain always switched off during the nights and he didn’t have to think about newer and newer articles, he didn’t have to feel the void that the lack of home gave him. Only sleeping meant unclouded relaxation for him, this meant the only way out from the constantly incumbent weight of the grey weekdays. He was able to be who he wanted to be just here.

He felt a gentle on his arm. But that tiny touch scattered refreshing sparks of excitement in his body. He had Goosebumps. His eyelashes fluttered but he wasn’t willing to open his eyes. His whole body was sore but this was a totally different feeling than the one in the previous day. It was less sharp and it wasn’t like that as if someone had poked needles into every part of his body. But it wasn’t better either. The dull feeling slowly spread in him and he didn’t have any energy to turn around to ignore the sunshine which sang him to wake up. He was just lying on his back with half-open lips and he looked like someone who got a visit from the death in his sleep and it took away his soul. That’s why he hated so much the mornings. He was never able to get out from bed freshly with full of energy. He felt every time that he felt now and the happenings on the previous day didn’t help either. They just made the things worse.

“Hey.” The didn’t stop. The touching of the fingertips left warmness after themselves and Luhan decided to rather enjoy the moment. For some reason it was so relaxing. For some reason it made him feel safe, it made him feel that nothing wrong could happen to him and the far, buzzing sound wasn’t able to disturb this idyllic moment either. A small smile sat down on his lips, then a new pleasing shiver sent its pulse through his body, as the previous warm hand started to caress his cheeks. He automatically leaned into the touch and an almost unnoticeable sigh left his mouth. He hadn’t been touched like this for a long time. He hadn’t felt this vibration, this calmness and no matter how much he didn’t want to disturb this moment, someone did it.

“Wake up, hyung. Please.” His eyes fluttered open but it took some seconds to recognise the figure in front of him. His breath stopped and he was just staring speechless at the boy leaning over him. Barely twenty centimetres were between them and Luhan let himself admire the angel for a little. During one night the boy didn’t lose his eccellent features which made the overall picture unbelievably perfect. The sharp line of his chin outlined more in the morning light, his eyes looked back at Luhan with lively sparking. He ran his tongue along his pink lips like a lazy kitten and Luhan still thought it was as glamorous as the previous day.

“Sehun.” It wasn’t a question. It was just a statement. And as the name made both of them smile, the older one could barely stop himself from holding out his hand to pull the boy into an embrace. He wanted to feel him much closer.

“Good morning hyung.” The younger one greeted him and the soft tone of his voice was such a thing to which Luhan would be able to wake up every day. “You didn’t react to the alarm clock so I thought to wake you up.” A little worry was hiding behind Sehun’s sentence and the other could totally understand it. Who wouldn’t worry after a serious accident if the other didn’t react to the alarm? At least Luhan wouldn’t handle so calmly the situation.

“Ah yes. I usually sleep too deep to hear it.” He laughed nervously then took a big breath and sat up on his place. Sehun moved away a little to give some space for him and when their faces were on the same level, he opened his mouth to say something but in the end he closed it. His say wasn’t so important. Just a tiny memory came to his mind but it didn’t take long than three seconds. And they wouldn’t do much with it.

But Luhan noticed the hesitation on him and he would have interested listened to what Sehun had wanted to tell if a hurricane called Zhang Yixing hadn’t bursted into the room. The man went to the still beeping mobile angrily and with an intense movement he switched off the alarm clock.

“I will do it, calm down. You can just continue to dally, you really don’t have to care about the fact that there’s someone else in this freaking flat.” He snorted and the younger ones just looked at him curiously. How can be someone so aggressive so early?

“If you don’t like it, you can go somewhere else because to my best knowledge this is still my house.” Yixing just rolled his eyes and he was about to leave the room to look for some breakfast when Luhan called after him again. “And Yixing. Another swearing and I throw you out of my flat.” With that he flashed a teasing smile at him. Sehun couldn’t hold back his laughter anymore so lowering his head he tried to hide his face but his shaking shoulders betrayed him.

“What are you laughing at, kid?” Yixing growled at him so he froze in his place. He didn’t like this person. He was too terrifying. Too aggressive and for some reason it made him feel strangely but he couldn’t tell what these feelings were. He just felt uneasy from them. “Come with me and help me cooking breakfast. Maybe you are useful at least something.” Sehun nodded obediently, then standing up from the bed he followed his hyung while Luhan stayed in the room with pursed lips. Damn it Lay!

With Sehun’s disappearance the ragged feeling returned again and Luhan would have wanted to lie back to sleep. But he knew that he couldn’t. They had to go to the police to report the happenings before they get worse. None of them had energy the previous day so by the time they got to Luhan’s house, they had agreed to rather go to sleep. Of course just after Yixing’s shouting about his flat and that he couldn’t go back there anymore and he was angry about his car as well because it had three or four holes on it due to the shooting. But at least no one had followed them.

Luhan slowly stretched himself, all of his bones greeted the morning crackling. They didn’t like the thought of moving either but it wasn’t some request program. He had to stand up. He had to do it. Even if it was so hard. He just needed some effort. Just a tiny, little effort…

The young male tried to convince himself to get out from the warmth of the sheets’ embrace but it wasn’t an easy task. But he took a deep breath. At three. He started to count back but before he reached number three, he managed to gain some power and he jumped out of the bed.

But instead of a victorious grin, his face disfigured because the sudden movement wasn’t good for his muscles nor his wounds. He should have thought about it.

“Yixing, a painkiller! Now!” He demanded as stooping a little, pulling his leg after himself he trudged into the kitchen. He didn’t bother to be nice. Their relationship was like this and none of them had any objection against it because behind the constant teasing words and a little harsher comments the caring for the other was hiding there. Deep inside. So hidden.

“I have already put it there.” Luhan led his glance to the table. A glass of water really was waiting for him with a medicine next to it and with an empty plate. It was unnecessary to ask the reason, the oily scent of pancakes fulfilled the kitchen which made the male hungrier. It was just like in China. His mother always made pancakes for breakfast and usually added too much oil to it. But Luhan found it tasty despite the fact that then his father was complaining through the breakfast that the pancake was just simply uneatable and that they should employ a chef. And maybe then he wouldn’t have to go to work with indigestion.

He smiled at the memories and as his glance slid to Sehun who was busy in the kitchen, he started to think how it can be for him. How it can be without memories. When you only know your name and birthdate. When nobody and nothing is familiar.

“Here.” Sehun put down two pancakes on Luhan’s plate smiling and he just looked up to him.

“So you can cook.”

“I used a recipe book but it wasn’t so hard, so we can say that yes, I can.” After it the boy returned to the counter to make something for Yixing and him and as he was operating there, Luhan couldn’t help it, he glanced at him unintentionally. He wasn’t surprised. Sehun looked so good from behind than from the front. The T-shirt fitted perfectly to his broad shoulders and muscular back and the trousers on him outlined more what should be outlined. The Chinese male was chewing the piece in his mouth blankly almost not hearing Yixing.

“Possibly he has retrograde amnesia. These kind of people can remember general things and not special ones but after the accident they usually can learn faster that they had been able to do previously.” Luhan slowly nodded and he was able to take his eyes off of Sehun’s back after really big efforts. His friend was sitting in front of a laptop which he managed to save with the medical stuffs from his flat and he was really into something interesting at that moment.

But the other male was still processing the previously heard ones and then something popped into his mind. Despite the fact that Sehun remembered almost nothing, at the wrecks he was able to knock down and shoot their attackers as if he had known what he was doing. And people can’t do such things just like that, only if they learn those or they are trained for it. So something wasn’t right.  

“And is it possible to remember things which they learnt before the accident?” He asked and Yixing looked up from the computer. He was waiting with raised eyebrows for Luhan to express what he was thinking but when the other didn’t do it, he answered with a sigh.

“Yeah, it’s possible. There are cases when a few random things remain in the injured person’s memory and there are cases when he remembers the elements related to a certain ‘topic’. But as I said yesterday, at retrograde amnesia the older memories come back first and the fresher ones the latest so that’s the cause when someone knows a few things. Because they are among his older memories.” Lu nodded again. Now everything made sense. Or not everything, just those which Luhan was curious about when he asked the question. So nothing was suspicious after all.

After it Luhan returned to eat while Sehun was getting the other breakfasts ready. He put a plate in front of Yixing, then he took a seat by the table opposite Luhan. He looked down at his food. Suddenly something grabbed his heart and as he was staring at his plate, he wasn’t able to eat. Something prevented him and he just glared with tight throat at the pancake which reminded him to a deformed dolphin.  

 

“Mom, can you do a gun-shaped pancake?”
“These guns again… A child in your age should think about cars and play with them. And no, I can’t make a pancake like that. But do you know what mommy can do?”
“No! What can she do?”
“Dolphin-shaped one. Do you want mommy to make you a dolphin-shaped pancake?”
“Yes!
“But only if you promise, you will be good.”

 

Sehun blinked twice. Tears welled up in his eyes as he was staring in front of himself and tried to process the memory. He didn’t understand. Why was it such a bad feeling to think about it? Why didn’t he feel happiness or joy? This should live as a happy moment in his memory, moreover, he should be glad to be able to remember. But then why can’t he do that?

“I think you better come here.” Nobody noticed the boy’s freeze, instead, Yixing called the other two to himself a little shocked. That was Sehun’s luck because if they had noticed him, then he would have had to handle a lot of questions which he couldn’t answer. But now he was simply saved.

“What happened?” Luhan got closer to Yixing interested then he read the title of the article at which the other’s finger pointed. “More than 900 victims in the train accident.” He read it out loud while his chest was becoming heavier and heavier. Almost a thousand dead people. And just they survived. Almost thousand people died and they almost get themselves killed as if their life wouldn’t count. This is not good. Not at all.

“Continue.” Yixing demanded while Sehun was nervously biting his lips. Maybe they can know something about the happenings now.

“Every passenger has died yesterday in the biggest train accident of all time in North-Korea. 921 people – including the engine driver – were on the vehicle when its viaduct in the suburb of Seoul was exploded. The reason is still unclear but it seems that The Great Train Catastrophe wasn’t just an accident…..” At that moment Yixing rolled down and the two other boys’ eyes widened. There was a list. A very long list. And it was full of names.

“Not everybody is here yet because they couldn’t identify all of the people but it deserves some attention.” With that the doctor highlighted two names.

“Impossible. No, no, no. It’s just a mistake. Why would they do that? Huh? Why?” Luhan just moved away from the computer shaking his head and he was at the edge of a smaller panic attack while Sehun was just glaring at the screen uncomprehendingly. Those were the names of the victims. Those people’s names who had died. Who didn’t live anymore. But then why were their names on the list?

“Calm down Luhan, it must be a misunderstanding.” Yixing said but it didn’t calm the other Chinese down. No. He crouched down and raised his arms to his head grabbing his hair. It wasn’t so simple. No. It was his biggest fear. To be dead. To be dead and not to live. And now he read his own death. It was terrifying. It was freaking terrifying and even if he knew that he was still alive, he freaked out. What if he dies soon? Because at that moment it was possible. What if they kill him? Then he will be dead and his name on the list would be right. Maybe it just tells the future. Maybe he will really die soon.

“No. Please. No. No. No.” No more sound came out from his throat, he just cried voicelessly and his entire body was shaking. He rocked back and forth hugging his knees, endlessly shaking his head.

“Hyung?” Sehun asked puzzled while Yixing immediately got up from his seat and hurried to Luhan.

“Hey.” He called gently which was the most delicate tone from him which Sehun had heard in the past fifteen hours. “Han, look at me, please. Breathe in and out. Come on. Calm down, babe. You have to calm down. You are not dead okay? It’s just a stupid article or maybe they thought about someone else that they were you. They are not that professional like you in Korea News. So please, calm down. We are here, you are alive and it will stay like this. You are absolutely not dead because if you were, I couldn’t do this.” And with that Yixing embraced Luhan, softly caressing his back. The shaking stopped. He still felt the wetness on his shirt but at least he stopped panicking.

Sehun just stood there frozen. It wasn’t something he would expect and he understood nothing. And Yixing could feel that.

“He is afraid of death. This much. News about dead people can stir his feelings up but when it’s about his own death, the result is a panic attack. You should remember that if you will be still next to him for a while.” The boy slowly nodded and he looked at Luhan with a worried look. He didn’t want to see him in such a bad condition. He liked him and this wasn’t the way he wanted to see a friend. Crying into someone’s shoulder because of fear. “Now we really have to go to the police. There’s so much about we have to talk to them.”

 

After they were able to calm Luhan down totally and everybody was ready to go, they got into Yixing’s car again. Luhan didn’t say anything during the trip, he was just staring out of the window with a blank expression. Sehun didn’t take his eyes off of him. He was afraid that a new panic attack would appear in any moment and he thought it was better to watch after him.

But getting into the police station wasn’t that easy. People hearing the news about a serious accident usually run to the hospital or to the police in hope that maybe they can get some information about their lost beloved ones. So in such cases the mass hysteria was so big and it was almost impossible to get into the building through the crowd. But Yixing had a resolution to this problem.

“Follow me.” And with that he jumped into the throng and with showing up a little object he managed to get forward.

“Where did you get that badge?” Sehun asked with raised eyebrows when arriving to the door they walked into the building.

“Our policeman friend, Baekhyun gave us to use it when we have to meet him here.” Yixing explained then turned left as if he knew where he was going, then he turned right on the corridor. And there they were.

The emptiness of the place was so refreshing after the crowd outside and the desperate relatives held up those few policemen who had stayed at their tables and didn’t go out to the train. The three men looked around but it seemed that Baekhyun wasn’t there so they had to choose a total strange officer who was just typing on his computer bored. He didn’t seem to be so likeable. His brown locks were hanging to his eyes and his small face would have looked cute if there hadn’t been that expression on it.

“Hello.” Yixing smiled at him but the other just sent a meaningless glance towards them.

“What do you want?” He murmured while continued the typing. The doctor just raised his eyebrows to this greeting and he was about to say something not so nice to this rude guy when Luhan just waved and took the control stepping out of his blank state. He started to return to normal.

“Our names are among the victims of the train accident in the newspaper. But as you can see, we didn’t die. We survived it.”

“That’s impossible. Everybody died there.” The policeman shook his head. The other three just stood there shocked. They thought they had gone to the wrong place. Shouldn’t that be the duty of the police forces to help those who are in danger and to keep everything in order? Luhan started to become furious.

“But I told you that we hadn’t. We sur-vi-ved. We are here. Why can’t you understand it?”

“Could you prove it?” The man looked at them finally and it took a lot of efforts to Luhan not to shout into his face that he was really thankful due to the attention. But he was able to restrain himself, instead, he took out from his pocket his ID card which for his biggest luck hadn’t got lost in the accident.

“Here you are. Lu Han. And this boy next to me is Oh Sehun.” Hearing the names it was as if the tiny spark of recognition had run across the officer’s face but at that moment he clouded again and started to type something into his computer. Then he shook his head.

“The boy hasn’t proved his identity yet. And your identity is still unclear because we have found the two corpse yesterday among the wrecks, so the suspicion can reasonably arise in us that you had stolen this ID card. So please leave this place now because the police has enough problems without any people who just want to fool around.” But they didn’t plan to go. Not this soon. That can’t be happening that an officer just sends them away not bothering to help. This could be just a bad joke.

Sehun looked around puzzled in the room. Everybody was busy with his own stuff and it seemed that they really didn’t care about that their colleague didn’t help them. That band was really useless.

“Wait.” Luhan said because something came to his mind. “Yesterday at the train two guys wanted to kill us. And they shot a woman down. Maybe if you found that body, then it would prove that…” But he couldn’t finish it. The policeman – who couldn’t be older than Luhan by the way – snapped at them furiously and with a hand wave he called one of his co-workers to himself.

“Don’t joke with me, please. This was a train accident, shooting doesn’t have anything to do with it. So my colleague is accompany you now out of the building and don’t you dare to come back or I will have to charge you with an offence of obstructing police.” And with that the other man started to push them out of the room and soon they found themselves on the streets in the middle of the crowd again.

“What an . Seriously. This isn’t the police’s duty and at home in China it wouldn’t happen. They care about people’s safety there unlike here, in this hovel!” Luhan paced furiously back and forth while Yixing moved away a little to phone. Something was fishy there. It couldn’t happen that the police took something like this so easy. Moreover, he said that they had found their corpses and it was a physical incapacity. Because they were there. Straight in front of the building of the police station.

“I don’t know what could happen. Baekhyun’s mobile is simply switched off.” Yixing’s return sent a new question-wave in Luhan. Baekhyun, the always available Baekhyun was switched off and wasn’t in the office. It wasn’t something common. But then… Then…

“What the hell is happening?!”

 


 

I know that it seems so slow and not a lot of things happen in the chapters, and I want to apologise. I just want you to get to know more the characters and the situation and everyhing because in my other stories that's my biggest mistake. I always hurry with the story line and don't give enough time to the characters and the feelings. And now I just want to write it well. ^-^"

And about Sehun: Yeah, he doesn't speak a lot but it's just the beginning. Because I thought that why would someone speak all the time if he doesn't have memories. And Luhan is still a stranger to him... So he will have more parts later I can promise. Don't worry about it! :3 

 

 

P.s: And can someone tell me why the foreword shows that it has only five views? O.o  In my story list it's normal and it shows 500...