Sungyeol/Myungsoo – perfect

Infinite Spectrum

A/N: Happy (belated) Valentine's Day! I need to remember to update on Fridays.


“I don’t recall ever having given you permission to make me your model,” Sungyeol says dryly, seeing the camera flash from the corner of his eye. Myungsoo grins a little sheepishly, but lifts his camera again anyway. Sungyeol promptly makes a ridiculous face, and Myungsoo laughs this time as he takes the picture.

“You look good,” he answers, and Sungyeol breaks out into a laugh.

“You’re saying that right after I made that face? Myungsoo, I know you love me, but you don’t love me that much.”

“That’s true. You look super ugly in this,” Myungsoo tells him seriously, and Sungyeol reaches towards his side threateningly. “But you’re good-looking most of the time!” Myungsoo adds hurriedly, hugging his camera to his chest defensively and backing away before Sungyeol can tickle him.

Sungyeol scoffs, wrapping an arm around Myungsoo’s shoulder and craning his neck. “Let me see that! You probably have a thousand embarrassing photos of me.”

“You volunteered that one!” Myungsoo counters, but he shows the screen to Sungyeol anyway. Admittedly, Sungyeol knew what he’d see (he’s practiced this face in the mirror a thousand times), but he looks extra stupid in the picture. Myungsoo has a real talent for bringing out the innate qualities in a person, it seems.

“I don’t know whether to tell you you’re a good photographer or a horrible person for wanting to embarrass me,” Sungyeol says, shaking his head.

“The first,” Myungsoo answers earnestly, and Sungyeol immediately ruffles his hair in retaliation. Myungsoo likes it well enough, though, half-heartedly shoving Sungyeol away and laughing, so it’s not really an effective punishment.

“Okay. You’re a good photographer, but a bad boyfriend. Are you collecting ammunition to blackmail me?” Sungyeol demands.

No,” Myungsoo replies, appalled. “Why would I even do that? And besides, I have worse things than photos, like—”

“We’re not talking about that one in public! We’re on the street!” Sungyeol hisses. “Anyway, you’re in it too! That’s like—what’s that proverb about cutting off your tongue?”

“Is there a proverb about that?” Myungsoo wonders aloud, and Sungyeol rolls his eyes.

“Whatever. You know what I mean. Now can we not discuss that unless we’re in our bedroom?”

“Okay,” Myungsoo agrees easily, leaning back into Sungyeol. “Hey, look at this one.”

Sungyeol leans over, squinting. “Cute. Whose cat?”

“A stray. She was really friendly, though. That’s why it came out so well.” Myungsoo continues clicking through the photos, and Sungyeol’s always thought that there’s so much of Myungsoo to be found in his camera alone—in what pictures he’s taken and what he’s chosen to keep. Sungyeol sees kids playing in the park and the view from their apartment window and the sky when the sun’s just setting, pictures of all their friends that he took at their last big gathering, and honestly… far too many of him than should be healthy.

“You should pay me a modelling fee,” Sungyeol tells Myungsoo, as he quickly clicks through a series of photos of Sungyeol sprawled out asleep on the bed. “I didn’t even give you consent to take some of these!”

“Well… if there’s something you really, really, really don’t like, I’ll delete it?” Myungsoo offers reluctantly, looking longingly at one of the photos he’s paused on. Sungyeol looks closely at it—it’s of him again, of course, still one of the photos of him asleep. He wonders if Myungsoo goes around setting everything up before taking his photos, because it seems a little too perfect. The sunlight’s striking him just right, bringing out a touch of warmth in his hair; the blanket’s not arranged artistically, but is somehow just the right amount of messy; even his hair, he thinks dryly, is falling over his cheek like he’s a model in a photoshoot and someone carefully placed that lock of hair there. Maybe Myungsoo really did do that, except Sungyeol thinks he’s a light enough sleeper than he’d wake up if he did—even if apparently he slept through all the photo-taking.

It’s actually a little weird looking at photos of himself like this, because Sungyeol swears he doesn’t look this good in the mirror. He has no idea how Myungsoo does it. It makes pride swell in his heart to think that—Myungsoo is really good!—but at the same time, it’s a little surreal.

“You can keep them,” Sungyeol concedes, and Myungsoo brightens up, a grin breaking over his face.

“I’ll buy you coffee,” he promises, lowering the camera. He tilts his head up, and it’s more than obvious what he wants, so Sungyeol leans down to kiss him again.

“But seriously,” Sungyeol starts, after Myungsoo’s stolen another two kisses from him, “why are there so many photos of me? You see me every day. That should be enough, right?”

Myungsoo sighs, glancing down at his camera. “I think that’s why there are so many,” he admits. “Because I see you every day. You always look really good, so every time I see you, I want to take a photo.” He smiles, soft and barely-there, and Sungyeol bites his bottom lip. Myungsoo.

“How do I even put up with you?” Sungyeol mumbles, well aware that he’s blushing. “You’re biased, you know. I give you .”

“That doesn’t have anything to do with this,” Myungsoo objects. “You’re just… really perfect. I want to capture that, I suppose.”

Okay. This cannot be an appropriate conversation to be having while they’re standing on the sidewalk among throngs of people. But Myungsoo sounds so absolutely sincere. Sungyeol swallows around the lump in his throat, tightening his arm around Myungsoo. , that’s just… it’s flattering, but it’s kind of scary, because he’s not that great. Except Myungsoo thinks he’s that great. It’s really sweet, but Sungyeol has no idea how he’s going to live up to expectations like that. “You’re impossible,” he mumbles, staring at the ground. “And when were you so cheesy, anyway?”

“I’m serious!” Myungsoo protests. Sungyeol raises his eyes briefly, and he realises that Myungsoo’s cheeks are red. At least that means he’s embarrassed about what he’s spouting, too. “You really are—you know.” Now Myungsoo’s staring at the ground too, and Sungyeol can’t help laughing a little. They’re both hopeless.

Glancing around surreptitiously, Sungyeol leans in, kissing Myungsoo quickly. They’re already being pretty daring, because Myungsoo just isn’t the type to hide it when he wants affection and Sungyeol can never resist. “God damn it. How are you like this?” Myungsoo smiles hesitantly at the obvious fondness in Sungyeol’s tone. “I love you, you idiot.” The words aren’t actually enough at all. Sungyeol loves Myungsoo so much it scares him—he thinks he might love him more than anyone else he’s ever loved in his life and every day he spends with Myungsoo he falls in love a little more anyway. Myungsoo seems to understand, though, if the smile he gives Sungyeol is any indication.

It should be awkward, the fact that they’re huddled together on a street corner while life goes on around them, the occasional passer-by throwing them an odd look before moving on. But Myungsoo leans in, whispering “I love you too” and nothing else in the world seems to matter.

Sungyeol pulls Myungsoo a little closer, exhaling. He thinks he’s the luckiest person in the world—Myungsoo can tell him he’s perfect, but Sungyeol’s pretty sure he knows the real truth. It’s Myungsoo who’s perfect, so amazing Sungyeol still has no idea why Myungsoo’s in love with him of all people, why Myungsoo chose him when he could’ve had anyone he wanted (because Sungyeol’s sure that even a fool wouldn’t be stupid enough to turn down someone like Myungsoo). But he has Myungsoo. That’s the best thing that’s ever happened to him in his life.

“So,” Myungsoo starts again, smiling hesitantly, “should I go get you your first paycheck?”

Sungyeol blinks in surprise, broken out of his thoughts, and Myungsoo laughs in that way that makes his eyes crinkle up. He’s so cute Sungyeol could die. “Place your order,” he demands, and Sungyeol grins.

“You know what I want. Go get it.”

“Fine, princess. One iced Americano coming right up. Don’t go away.” Myungsoo leans in, giving Sungyeol a quick peck on the lips before pulling away. Sungyeol watches as he walks away, lifting his camera to take a picture of the traffic.

Sungyeol laughs when he turns around abruptly at the edge of the sidewalk, waving cheekily before pointing his camera at Sungyeol. Sungyeol blows a kiss, making Myungsoo laugh from behind the viewfinder, and he finally turns back to actually cross the street.

Sungyeol leans back against the wall, trying not to grin like an idiot (but failing pretty badly, and not really caring). He has the best boyfriend in the world.