Sunggyu/Woohyun - hero complex

Infinite Spectrum

A/N: Very loosely based off the Fire Emblem series.


Woohyun winced, trying not to flinch away when Sunggyu dabbed salve on his wound. He’d tried to talk Sunggyu out of it—it wasn’t particularly severe, and they had to use their supplies sparingly—but Sunggyu insisted, as usual. While Woohyun appreciated his concern, he still thought it was unnecessary.

“Shouldn’t we be saving this for something bigger?” Woohyun tried again, although Sunggyu went on ignoring him. “What if we run out just when we need the supplies to save someone’s life? This really isn’t—”

“Because fighting with an injured arm is hardly going to endanger your life,” Sunggyu answered dryly. “We can spare this much salve, Your Highness. Please try to remember that your safety is paramount.”

Woohyun sighed, knowing full well that arguing with Sunggyu when he went into overzealous retainer mode was absolutely useless. “Let me guess, you’re going to tell me to stay off the battlefield from now on. Again.”

“Actually, no, Your Highness. I’ve done that so many times that I know it’s useless. Nowadays I settle for making sure you don’t get mortally injured doing something overly reckless.” Sunggyu put down the salve and reached for the bandages. “Though if you would consent to remove yourself from the battlefield, that would be the best for all of us.”

“Well, what kind of commander would I be if I did that?” Woohyun asked lightly. “I have to ride at the frontlines. You know that as well as me.”

“If you would appoint someone else as commander, Your Highness, you wouldn’t need to,” Sunggyu snapped. “Can you remember for once in your life that you’re a prince and you have a kingdom to return to? Your life doesn’t just belong to you, Your Highness, you need to realise—”

Woohyun cut Sunggyu off midsentence, breathing in the gasp against his mouth. Sunggyu’s eyes were wide when Woohyun pulled away, but at the very least, he wasn’t trying to run away—though Woohyun wasn’t sure whether it was because he was finally getting used to this, or because he was in the middle of bandaging Woohyun’s arm. “I know that,” he said softly. “I do realise I’m responsible for more than just my own life. But I can’t just stand back. Still, that’s what I have you for, right?” Woohyun tried for a smile, reaching up to caress the back of Sunggyu’s neck. Sunggyu still had pieces of his armour on; in the dying campfire, the royal crest emblazoned on the metal seemed to come to life. “Thank you. I owe you my life—I know that, too. I couldn’t be who I am if it wasn’t for you.”

“I’m your knight,” Sunggyu answered quietly. “It’s my duty.” He lowered his head, going silent as he finished bandaging Woohyun’s arm. Woohyun half-expected Sunggyu to leave, but he just turned away instead, staring quietly into the campfire.

“I’m sorry,” Woohyun finally said, after several long moments of silence. “I know I don’t make this easy for you. But this is where I need to be.”

Sunggyu chuffed lightly, leaning forward on his elbows. The firelight caught his hair, scattering lines of red and gold in his brown hair. “Don’t apologise. If I couldn’t handle you, I would have stepped down and had someone more capable take my place. You’re fine just the way you are.” Woohyun saw Sunggyu hesitate briefly, but then he reached over, lightly laying his hand on Woohyun’s newly-bandaged arm. “Though, of course, I do wish that my charge had less of a hero complex.”

“Hero complex?” Woohyun repeated indignantly. Sunggyu’s answering laugh caught him off-guard—and the kiss even more so. Woohyun froze when he felt Sunggyu’s lips against his, only remembering to respond belatedly when Sunggyu slid his arm around his waist. It was rare for Sunggyu to initiate, considering he still had misgivings about their difference in status, but maybe he was finally coming around.

Sunggyu lingered close even after they parted, his breath brushing over Woohyun’s cheek. “Don’t die, Woohyun,” he whispered. Woohyun sighed, leaning in and pressing their foreheads together.

“You won’t let me, anyway.”

Sunggyu was, after all, the one person Woohyun could trust with his life.