Sunggyu/Woohyun - we're only dreaming

Infinite Spectrum

A/N: Originally posted here on infinitememe. This is a literal AU of Disney's Aladdin. 99% of the reason why I wrote this was for the magic carpet ride OTL. And, of course, the title is shamelessly taken from 'A Whole New World'. This is actually pretty long (more than 3k oops that's twice the usual word limit I impose on this series) but uh. I have no excuse. I just don't feel like posting it separately.


“I can tell you right now that this is a bad idea.”

Woohyun rolls his eyes at Sungyeol’s disapproving tone, fussily straightening his clothes in the mirror for the umpteenth time. God, silk clothes feel amazing. Woohyun can totally understand why those high-strung royals wear them now. “You just don’t want to admit that I look gorgeous in this. He’s not going to stand a chance.” Sungyeol snorts in reply, reaching over and tipping Woohyun’s hat off-centre. Ignoring him, Woohyun sets it right again and smiles brightly in the mirror. “You know, for all you’re the most insufferable genie I’ve ever met, you do have good fashion sense. Look at how this flatters my arms!”

“I am the only genie you’ve ever met,” Sungyeol pronounces imperiously, “because if you’d met one before, you’d actually understand why this is an absolutely terrible idea. Look, magic is magic, but if you’re expecting to keep up a deception like this for longer than a few months—”

“Oh, be quiet. This is just my first wish. And I’m the best actor in the world, aren’t I, Dongwoo?” Woohyun croons at Dongwoo when he scampers up his arm, curling his tail around his shoulder. Dongwoo is much more pleasant company than Sungyeol—clearly, Sungyeol’s years in the lamp have not made him particularly agreeable.

“Best liar, you mean.” Sungyeol reaches over to pluck Dongwoo off him, ignoring Woohyun’s indignant squawk. (Why the hell is a million-year-old genie so obsessed with his pet monkey anyway?) “But whatever. If you won’t take the advice of your more world-wise, learned senior, that’s your problem. Don’t come crying for extra wishes when you need to fix this. And remember—”

“To free you. Don’t worry, I remember that. I don’t go back on my promises.” Woohyun turns back to the mirror to practice his smile again, sweeping an imaginary bow which, he thinks, passes as quite royally elegant. “Greetings, Your Highness. I am Prince Shin Woohyun from the kingdom of Chungook, here to steal your heart away.”

“Too forward. Not royal at all,” Sungyeol answers, sounding half-bored. “Do you have the remotest idea of courtly speech?”

“And do you?” Woohyun shoots back, but almost instantly regrets it when Sungyeol’s eyes light up with an evil glint. Cutting in quickly before Sungyeol has a chance to say anything, Woohyun adds, “Before you try to con me out of my next wish, the lessons should totally come as a package with the clothes, jewellery and castle. My wish was to be a proper prince, wasn’t it?”

Sungyeol’s face falls almost comically at that, and Woohyun can’t pretend he’s not cackling on the inside when Sungyeol disgustedly snaps his fingers and summons a perfectly-laid table. “Fine, you cheap little bastard. Let’s start with some basic rules of conduct and table manners, because I’m sure you have no concept of either. Lesson one: do not ing smirk at me in that smarmy way. It’s not polite at all.” Woohyun immediately schools his face into the perfect smile, to which Sungyeol makes another face. “And that’s too flirty. Tone down the grease, you idiot.” Dongwoo chatters from where he’s snuggled in Sungyeol’s lap, looking too comfortable for his own good. Even his most trusted companion has betrayed him.

Woohyun sincerely hopes that putting up with Sungyeol’s irritating, pet-stealing self will actually help. He needs to be absolutely perfect for his prince.

-

Thankfully, Sungyeol’s lessons actually are worth something. Woohyun’s sure he has the court mesmerised when he presents himself; definitely a plus in his favour, because he can all but see the King’s approval. If only the prince was as easy to read.

Prince Sunggyu is definitely worth the trouble, though. Woohyun has known that from the very moment he first saw him. Alright, perhaps he’s never actually spoken to him, but that’s going to change now. Woohyun is going to make it change. And the King, bless him, is definitely on his side. He actually agrees to let him speak privately to Sunggyu without making Woohyun jump through a million hoops—a very, very definite plus, Woohyun thinks in satisfaction. Sunggyu doesn’t look particularly thrilled, but Woohyun will take anything and everything he can get.

The moment the door closes behind them, though, Sunggyu rounds on him with narrowed eyes. Woohyun doesn’t even have a chance to turn on the charm before Sunggyu tells him, sharply, “No.”

Woohyun’s pretty sure he’s gaping openly at Sunggyu, but—they haven’t even been alone for ten seconds! He hasn’t even managed to smile at Sunggyu! Sunggyu can’t be rejecting already him already. He’s a second too late to launch into a hasty attempt at salvation before Sunggyu continues, crossing his arms while he regards Woohyun with a harsh glare. “I don’t know what game you’re playing, but I’m not going to be a part of it. Don’t think that just because you have my father and a few courtiers in your pocket that I’m going to marry you. I’m not marrying anyone—not you, not another prince or princess or noble, not even if you’re the ing king of the world. I would greatly appreciate it if you would leave now before I have to remove you. Thank you.”

Woohyun is aware that he probably looks like a fish, but how is he supposed to react to that? (Besides the fact that somewhere deep, deep inside, he’s screaming at the way Sunggyu mixes informal and formal speech—and curses—in a way that’s completely unlike the perfect prince he expected. Which is not something he should be thinking about right now.) “Your Highness,” he starts weakly, and gets an exasperated sigh in response.

“How many times—” Sunggyu breaks off, sighing again. He looks so frustrated that Woohyun has to forcefully tamp down on the urge to walk over and smooth those frown lines away from his forehead. The few moments of awkward silence are probably the worst thing Woohyun has ever had to wait through in his life, but he senses that if he tries to talk now, it won’t go over well. So he waits.

Sunggyu takes a deep breath, and he sounds significantly calmer when he next speaks. “My apologies, Prince, for being so direct. The topic of courtship is very—unpleasant to me. But have faith that I mean every word of what I said. I have no desire to court or be courted. The matter is best left alone.”

Woohyun’s almost disappointed by his reversion to court speech. He doesn’t have time to think of that, though; he has to patch this up before it gets any worse. “I am not merely here because I wish to court an unknown prince, Your Highness,” he says, keeping his tone light. Sunggyu huffs in disbelief at that.

“We have never met before. You know me as well as I know you—that is to say I do not know you. May we leave it at that?”

Sunggyu is clearly intent on throwing him off, but Woohyun presses on. “I have known of you for quite a long while, although this is our first true meeting. This is a little forward, perhaps…” He can already hear Sungyeol’s disapproving screech echoing in his mind when he hears of this, but hell, this can hardly get much worse. “But I do believe I could love you.”

Sunggyu flinches visibly at that, and Woohyun’s not sure whether or not that’s a good thing. “Have more care with your words,” Sunggyu snaps. “The implications—”

“Are exactly what you and I think they are.” Woohyun chances a step forward, counting it as a victory when Sunggyu doesn’t recoil. “Call me a fool if you must, but even now, I hold to that belief. You are quite special, Your Highness. Why else would I attempt to court you when I would stand better chances elsewhere?” Sunggyu doesn’t reply to that. In a last ditch attempt, Woohyun drops the formalities, moving close enough that Sunggyu is just an arm’s reach away. “Sunggyu—I do respect what you say. If you don’t want to consider marriage, I would never force you into it. But would you give me a chance? Don’t call it courtship. I just want to show you that I can make you happy.”

Sunggyu is silent, eyes downcast. Woohyun’s waiting with bated breath, half-expecting Sunggyu to throw him out immediately. He definitely doesn’t expect the soft, breathy laugh, though the sound makes his heart skip.

“I don’t know whether you’re crazy or a fool. Maybe both.” Woohyun’s glad to see that, at least, Sunggyu isn’t bothering to be formal either. “You’re a good person, Woohyun. You deserve better than a man who only really wants to be left alone for the rest of his life. You already said—”

“I said that you were special. Didn’t you hear that?” Woohyun turns on his smile now, though inside he’s praying that he didn’t just completely blow any chance he had with Sunggyu by doing all this. He’s thrown Sungyeol’s long speeches about subtlety and manners out of the window and into the desert by now, unfortunately. “Or maybe it would be better if you let me show you.”

“What are you planning?” Sunggyu asks apprehensively. Woohyun’s grin widens.

“A magic carpet ride.”

Sunggyu stares at him, incredulous, but Woohyun takes advantage of his surprise to extend his hand towards him. Sunggyu is clearly still hesitant, but after a moment of staring at Woohyun’s outstretched hand, he slowly reaches to take it.

Forwardness, Woohyun decides, is clearly the better approach.

-

“You were serious?”

Sunggyu sounds sort of impressed, but mostly horrified. Woohyun makes a flourishing gesture towards the carpet hovering just above the balcony rail, never more pleased to own it. “Completely. After you, my prince.”

“Stop calling me that,” Sunggyu mutters shortly. He doesn’t get on. Deciding to take that as a cue, Woohyun climbs on first, settling down comfortably.

“Would you join me, Sunggyu?” He reaches his hand towards Sunggyu again, smiling at the way Sunggyu looks between him and the carpet like he can’t believe it. As before, though, Sunggyu takes his hand, letting Woohyun help him onto the carpet.

“This is the strangest thing I have ever done in my life,” Sunggyu mumbles, trying to find a decent midpoint between comfort and not sitting too close to Woohyun. To Woohyun’s satisfaction, Sunggyu eventually gives up and presses up against his side. Taking his chances, Woohyun slides his arm around him before whistling to his carpet.

He’s pretty sure he’s not imagining the squeak when the carpet soars higher and starts to glide forward, though it’s still at a leisurely pace. Woohyun knows he shouldn’t, but he can’t help laughing, pulling Sunggyu closer to him. “This will be amazing, I promise,” he tells him, noting how unconvinced Sunggyu looks.

“We’re getting higher off the ground,” Sunggyu says uneasily. Woohyun grins at him before whistling again, and the carpet starts picking up speed.

“That’s the whole point! We’re here to fly!” Sunggyu all but shrieks when the carpet dives forward and Woohyun breaks out into laughter again, whooping.

“Not funny!” Sunggyu yells, sounding so completely terrified that Woohyun would feel guilty if he wasn’t clinging so hard to Woohyun he thinks he’ll feel the imprints for the rest of his life. Woohyun reaches down to cover Sunggyu’s hand with his, grasping it.

“Come on, don’t be scared—I’m here. Open your eyes.” Sunggyu’s eyes are squeezed so tightly shut he can’t possibly see anything. “Don’t tell me now you’re afraid of heights.”

“You put me on a flying carpet in the sky and then you ask me?!” Sunggyu demands. “Yes! Now let me down, god!”

“I’ll do that if you open your eyes,” Woohyun promises, pulling him closer in reassurance. “Take a look, at least. Think about it—you’re flying!”

“I’m not, I’m on a carpet that feels like it’s about to tip me off any moment,” Sunggyu gasps. But slowly, slowly, Woohyun watches as he lets his eyes open just a sliver—and watches his face change when he takes in the picture around him. They’re high in the air now, higher than even the tallest tower of the royal palace; and the sunset is one of the most breathtaking that Woohyun has ever seen, gold and red and violet all at once. “Oh,” he whispers. The sheer awe contained in that word alone makes Woohyun smile. Sunggyu’s death grip on him is easing bit by bit. Reaching over to gently caress Sunggyu’s windblown hair, Woohyun gives him a few moments, holding him close.

“Do you still want to go back down?” Woohyun finally asks, after letting Sunggyu’s amazement sink in. This time there’s no hesitation in Sunggyu’s face; not even a hint of it.

“No.”

Woohyun smiles.

-

The ride lasts longer into the night than Woohyun intended. After he gets over his fear of the height, Sunggyu doesn’t hide his wonderment. To Woohyun, watching Sunggyu is as amazing as his own first ride. They spend hours picking out constellations and looking out over the cityscape before Woohyun reluctantly directs the carpet back to the palace, not particularly eager for the King to accuse him of kidnapping Sunggyu within his first day of courtship.

Even Sunggyu doesn’t seem entirely willing to get off, despite all his initial protests. Woohyun helps him off carefully, the solid ground beneath their feet a little strange after the prolonged ride. “So how was it?” Woohyun can’t help asking. Sunggyu’s hand is still in his; Woohyun covers it with his own, clasping it tightly with both his hands. “Did you like it?”

Woohyun’s heart almost stops when Sunggyu gives him an unexpected smile, reaching over to brush Woohyun’s hair back. Like Sunggyu’s, it’s still windswept from the ride, unkempt and hardly the perfect princely hair he fussed over for hours. That somehow makes the light touch even more meaningful. “It was nothing like I’ve ever felt before.” He laughs, and Woohyun thinks he could fall in love with Sunggyu just from that alone. “I’ll admit it, I’m glad you convinced me to give you that chance.”

“So I can court you?” Woohyun asks hopefully. Sunggyu glances away, but he doesn’t pull back.

“I never exactly said you couldn’t.”

Woohyun thinks he’s never heard sweeter words in his life. He’s probably grinning in the most undignified manner possible right now, but he can’t help it. He’s seen Sunggyu all of twice and known him for less than a day, but he knows he’s already falling in love with him. He’s not even sure how, but he knows. “I’m going to take that as a yes.” Lifting Sunggyu’s hand to his lips, he presses a quick kiss to the knuckles, glancing upwards discreetly to see how Sunggyu takes it. He’s surprised and pleased to see the light blush dusting Sunggyu’s cheeks—enough that it doesn’t even hurt when Sunggyu immediately jerks his hand away.

“Don’t get too cocky,” Sunggyu warns, and doesn’t even bother with a goodnight before he’s flouncing off, striding into the palace almost too quickly. Woohyun stares after him dreamily, still unable to stop himself from grinning like an idiot. Almost absently, he takes Sungyeol’s lamp out of his tunic, rubbing it with his sleeve. He just feels the absolute need to actually tell someone about what happened.

Sungyeol doesn’t mince words when he emerges, glaring at Woohyun scornfully. He doesn’t even give Woohyun a chance to say a word before he starts rambling, complete with hand gestures. “I can’t believe you! I give you this long talk about subtlety and not being too forward, and what do you do the very first time you talk to him properly? You drag him on the goddamn magic carpet and have him cling to you! And then you kiss his hand! Plus can we please talk about how this was a bad idea to begin with? Because you are not a prince, Nam Woohyun, and how are you going to provide proof when you start getting serious and he demands relatives, or an actual kingdom, or just proof that I can’t possibly create because god knows it was bad enough that I magicked a castle for you! What do you have to say to that, huh?”

Woohyun smiles vaguely at Sungyeol, not really seeing him. He’s really not interested in what Sungyeol’s saying; all he can really think about is Sunggyu right now. “He was blushing.”

“You are disgustingly delusional,” Sungyeol groans. “I bet you didn’t hear a word of what I said. Pray that he doesn’t ask about your parents. I can’t create parents.”

“He smiled at me.”

“How are you going to discuss trade relations with your future father-in-law? ‘Oh, my kingdom doesn’t really exist, so it doesn’t produce anything of worth’? And how about the fact that your precious Sunggyu will probably not be very happy about the fact that you’re lying about your whole goddamn identity? You’re not really a prince, Woohyun! The magic can only make you seem like one! This can only end badly. Trust me for once.”

“I think he likes me, Sungyeol. Just a little bit.”

Sungyeol stares at him, and Woohyun thinks that he looks pensive, maybe even a little sad—but the expression is gone in the next second, so he figures he must have imagined it. It’s not a look that fits Sungyeol. “I’ve warned you, okay? Be careful, Woohyun. You know, I do quite like you, for all you’re an idiot. Don’t get hurt too badly.”

“I’ll be fine.” Woohyun feels like nothing in the world can hurt him right now. He sighs, still half-lost in the memory of Sunggyu’s smile. “I wonder where to bring him tomorrow.”

Sungyeol trails behind him while he gets on the carpet again, whistling to it. It’s not the same without Sunggyu, of course, but Woohyun thinks of tomorrow and everything’s okay again. He thinks it’s not impossible to make Sunggyu fall in love with him.