The Baby Project || Part 2

Playing Pretend

It was a beautiful, Monday morning, in which the birds chirped and the sun let out it's morning rays. 

 

"Morni- Woah!" Jongin gasps, frightened when he sees Chanyeol walking past his desk to get to his seat. Chanyeol's dark circles and unstyled hair lead Jongin to ponder whether Chanyeol had gotten beat up on his way to school or was going for a new look... but then Jongin remembered that it was Chanyeol's turn to have the baby over for the weekend.

 

Since Chanyeol sat right behind Jongin, Jongin turns around and watches as Chanyeol place his belongings on top of his desk. "What happened?"

 

"I don't want to talk about it." Chanyeol glares, before slumping down on his chair. In an instant, a baby's cry is heard throughout the classroom, causing the whole class to groan. It's only been 3 days since the project was assigned and the students were all beginning to feel frustrated. "Quite your baby, Donghae. He's ing annoying."

 

"Oh yeah?" Donghae scoffs, feeling a bit annoyed over the fact that Chanyeol had just insulted his child. "Well... well your baby's ugly."

 

Chanyeol towers over Donghae with a stern yet annoyed look on his face. "What'd you say about my kid, punk?"

 

"I said your child looks ugly." Donghae repeats, standing up so now their black panda eyes are staring right at each other. " It looks like a ing-"

 

"Don't say it!"

 

"It looks..."

 

"I told you not to say it-"

 

"...fake."

 

"That's it!" Chanyeol gasps, plugging his baby's ears. "My baby is not fake! Take it back!"

 

"This is unbelieveable... They're FAKE babies!" Jongin sighs, facepalming himself because he was witnessing such a stupid, immature fight probably caused by stress and limited sleep. "It doesn't have feelings nor does it have any other realistic qualities to make it a real baby!"

 

"He started it!" Donghae points, before he sits down and crosses his arms. 

 

Chanyeol scoffs. "What'd you say?" 

 

"Just let it go..." Jongin sighs, putting a hand on Chanyeol's shoulder to prevent him from doing anything that would get Chanyeol expelled or in trouble with the teacher.  "Stop making a big fuss about this."

 

"Good morning class!" Mr. Lee beems, as he enters the class cheerfully. 

 

"What's so good about it?" Chanyeol mutters under his breath. This whole project was pissing him off and honestly Chanyeol just wanted to be done. He wanted to throw in his towel -or baby- and recieve a plain F... the only thing stopping him was Baekhyun, of course, who would also fail if Chanyeol had decided to give up on the assignment.

 

"I hope you all had a great weekend." Mr. Lee smiles, however, his smile soon begins to fade when he sees the exhausted look in his student's faces. "... Or not... Anyways let's get started with our lesson." 

 

"Everyone get with your partner." Mr. Lee instructs, before he stands up and holds a package of diapers in his hands. He waits until all the students have paired up before he speaks. "As you can see... today's lesson is about learning how to properly put on a diaper."

 

"I'll do the demonstration first and then have you guys try it." Mr. Lee says, placing the baby doll on top of his desk in front of the class for the students to see. "It's best to start with clean hands..."

 

Opening the diaper package, Mr. Lee then lays the diaper below the baby's bottom. "Place the diaper underneath your baby's bottom and then pull the front half of the diaper up to your baby's tummy."

 

"The last step is fastening the diaper and making sure that your baby feels comfortable." Mr. Lee says, showing the baby in front of the class. "Now, it's your turn. I'll come around and give each couple 2 diapers for each of you to be able to get a chance to experience this."

 

The class groans. 

 

"Come on, it's easy! You'll love it!" Mr. Lee promises. 

 

"Ugh." Chanyeol groans, watching as Baekhyun attempts to put the diaper on their child, Connard. "Don't do such a half job on it. Connard's still a baby! He'll cry-"

 

"It's fake!" Baekhyun blurts out, causing Connard to erupt and cry loudly.

 

"Stop it, You're the mom and you're hurting his feelings." Chanyeol retorts, comforting Connard by patting him on his head. When the crying finally stops, Chanyeol lays Connard down on top of the table for Baekhyun to resume. 

 

"I don't want to be the mom-"

 

"Well too bad. I already called the dad position when you weren't here." Chanyeol sticks out his tongue in response. 

 

"It's peeing! Oh my god, Kris. It's peeing." Tao shouts loudly, holding the baby towards Kris so that he's able to avoid the pee from reaching him. Technically it wasn't really pee -considering the fact that the baby was fake afterall- it was just plain water coming out of the baby's s.

 

Instead the baby's pee comes in contact with Kris's shirt, causing him to groan. Kris grabs the baby and places it on the table, as it pees continously. Placing a towel over the baby's to stop the pee, Kris then turns to Tao with a stern look on his face. "What the ?"

 

"Sorry?" Tao smiles, sheepily. 

 

Kris shakes his head.

 

"I didn't mean too!" Tao counters back, clinging on to Kris's shirt, as Kris cleans the baby so that they'll be able to start the assignment. "I swear! Elliot just started peeing so suddenly-"

 

Raising an eyebrow, Kris speaks in a teasing tone. "Elliot? You named our kid, Elliot?"

 

"Well, I didn't know if it was a guy or a girl-"

 

"You're joking right?" Kris scoffs, face palming himself because of Tao's stupidity. "It's obviously male! It has a ! Are you blind? It's definiately male!"

 

"You're doing pretty good, have you done this before?" Jongin questions, leaning in against the table as he watches Kyungsoo change their baby's diaper. Unlike the other students, it looked like their team was doing pretty well. 

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head. "It's my first time."

 

"You sure do learn fast." Jongin laughs, but then realizes something. Jongin then reaches into his backpack and pulls out a beaded bracelet with a red flower on it before handing it to Kyungsoo, who had a confused look on his face. "During the weekend, practice was out near the mountains... I don't really know why but then I saw this at the gift shop and thought you might like it."

 

"Thank you." Kyungsoo says, caressing the bracelet in his hands. Since It was the first time someone's ever given him anything before, Kyungsoo didn't know how to express his graditude. To Jongin, it might have looked like he didn't appreciate the bracelet but Kyungsoo's heart suddenly raced as he put it on. 

 

"The one who sold it to me said that it's one of a kind and has powers that make the person who wear happy all the time and have courage." Jongin explains, pulling up his sleeve to show the identical bracelet. "So I bought one for me too! Except mine is blue..."

 

"You better take care of it, unless you want evil spirits attacking you."

 

Kyungsoo nods his head in determination. "I'll take care of it with my life."

 

"Anyways, what are you doing today?" Jongin suddenly, asks.

 


"I'm going to an art gallary with Suho." Kyungsoo replies, innocently although it wasn't exactly what Jongin was expecting to hear from the latter.

 

"As a date?"

 

"Today's Monday-"

 

"No, I mean..." Jongin shakes his head. Kyungsoo probably didn't even know what a date meant. "Nevermind."

 

"What about you?" Kyungsoo questions.

 

"Practice." Jongin sighs. Since it was almost the start of basketball season, practice was hectic. "We've been training lately since the season's coming up soon."

 

-

 

"Did you guys hear?" 

 

"Hear what?" Sehun questions, feeding Luhan one of his strawberries. It was now lunch time and everyone was just being to gather around their usual table for lunch. 

 

"That Wu got another blind date today." Chanyeol says, placing his belongings on top of the table, before he takes a seat besides Sehun.

 

Raising an eyebrow, Luhan speaks. "Again? That's the fourth one this month and it's only been... like 2 weeks. I thought he didn't want a girlfriend-"

 

"I thought that too. Whatever, just don't tell Tao-"

 

"Tell me what?" Tao questions, as he approches the table. "Have you guys been talking behind my back?"

 

"Kris has a date today." Chanyeol blurts. 

 

"Chanyeol!" 

 

Chanyeol shrugs. "What he was going to find out anyways! Someone was bound to spill it..."

 

"Tao... are you-"

 

Tao fakes a smile. "I'm fine." 

  

-

 

"Hey Jongin!" Lay waves, when he sees Jongin walking towards him. Quickly, Lay hands him a flyer for an event at an art gallary. "If your free today, you should come to the art gallary! You'd be helping out the art club-"

 

"I didn't know that you were in the art club." Jongin replies, reading the content of the flyer. "Since when were you so interested in art?"

 

"Since Suho forced me to." Lay replies, laughing. "He said he needed help running the club and that I could earn my community service hours there, so I guess I'm a member now... You're friend Kyungsoo's there-"

 

"I know."

 

"His artworks going to be featured today, I think." Lay says. "He's quite the artist if you ask me... He's really good at drawing and he's very artistic. Honestly, I didn't expect him to be so talented at art."

 

"Really? I didn't know that." Jongin replies. He knew Kyungsoo liked to draw, but Jongin didn't know that Kyungsoo was that good at drawing. "Thanks, I'll try to make it. See you around!"

 

"Friday, right?" Lay says, reminding Jongin about their plans together for Lay's birthday dinner.

 

"Yeah, friday."

 

 

"Over there!" Tao says softly, as he points towards Kris and a tall lady entering a fancy looking resteraunt. When Tao sees Kris turning his attention towards his and Baekhyun's direction, Tao immediately pushes Baekhyun down and ducks underneath the bushes. "That was close."

 

"What are you guys wearing?" Chanyeol questions, casually walking towards Baekhyun and Tao who were hiding themselves behind the bushes. Raising an eyebrow, Chanyeol scans Baekhyun and Tao's ridiculous outfits. Baekhyun and Tao were both in black attire and wore black masks that hid their mouths. The funny thing was that they were both carrying around their baby dolls with them. "We're here to stalk someone not to rob a bank."

 

"Get down." Tao replies, almost as a whisper. "Kris might see us!"

 

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. "Oh, please. Come on, if we're going to follow them, let's go inside. You can't even see him from here..."

 

"And how are we going to do that?" Baekhyun scoffs. "Do you have a reservation? The resteraunt looks ing expensive-"

 

"Don't worry about it, let's go." Chanyeol scoffs, grabbing Baekhyun and Tao by the hand and leading them towards the enterance of the resteraunt. Baekhyun and Tao watch as Chanyeol walks up to an employee and shakes his hand. 

 

"What the hell is he doing?"

 

It takes only a couple of more minutes, before Chanyeol waves his hands towards them. "Let's go in."

 

"How did these people know you?" Baekhyun curiously asks, when they are finally seated in their seats located just behind Kris's table. But not close enough for them to be able to get caught.

 

"My mother's an entrepreneur so she owns part of this resteraunt along with it's other branches." Chanyeol replies, taking a sip of his water. "I came here alot when I was kid so I befriended some of the employees."

 

"Oh. What about your dad?"

 

"He works in the Park Cooperation."

 

"As what?" Baekhyun asks, raising an eyebrow. The Park Cooperation was a huge company around the nation so it was kind of shocking to hear that Chanyeol's dad was an employee. "An employee? A Director? ...The janitor?"

 

"The President." Chanyeol casually replies. 

 

Baekhyun spits out his drink, in shock. "What?"

 

"My father owns the building." Chanyeol explains, gulping down his water before calling up the waiter to refill his glass. "Well, he owns the whole company to be exact."

 

"You're rich and you're still miserable? Chanyeol, I dont-"

 

Rolling his eyes, Chanyeol speaks. "What's the point of being rich, when you have no family? My parents divorced and I don't keep in contact with them because I live alone. What's so great about that?" 

 

"Sorry, I didn't know..."

 

"It's okay."

 

"Guys, shut up!" Tao blurts, focusing his attention towards Kris's table. Tao begins to sway in his seat trying to get a better look. "I can't hear them."

 

Then a baby's cry is heard. 

 

"Geez, thanks Wu! You made Connard cry again!" Baekhyun growls, as he takes care of his baby in a hurry. "I just put him to sleep a couple of minutes ago. Now, if you excuse me. I have to go take care of my child."

 

"What are you guys doing?" 

 

Looking up, Tao sees Kris with a stern look on his face. "Oh... hey, Kris! We were just-"

 

"... stalking you." Chanyeol replies. "We found out about your date so we kind of followed you here... but I didn't have any part in this! Those two forced me to come here because I spilled everything!"

 

"Who are these people?" The lady beside Kris asks, tilting her head in confusion. 

 

"My friends." Kris replies, rolling his eyes before he grabs Tao by the collar causing him to stand up in a hurry. Kris then pulls Tao towards him before placing his arm around Tao's waist. "... And this is my boyfriend... so please stop setting up these blind dates for me. I already have someone."

 

Mrs. Wu blinks. "Kris, I-"

 

"Good night." Kris replies, pulling Tao by the arm to exit the resteraunt in a hurry. 

 

When Baekhyun arrives a couple minutes later, he notices Tao's empy seat. "Where'd Tao go?" 

 

"He left with Kris a little while ago." Chanyeol responds, holding out his arms. "Is Connard okay? Let me hold him."

 

"You're really taking this thing too seriously, Chanyeol." Baekhyun responds, handing Connard over to Chanyeol. "The baby's a doll... it's not real."

 

"I understand that, but it has feelings too." Chanyeol says, craddling the baby into his arm, which Baekhyun found to actually be pretty cute. After hearing about Chanyeol's sad childhood, Baekhyun figured that maybe Chanyeol was probably giving their baby the love that his parents never gave him back then. Maybe Chanyeol was showering the love to Connard that he never recieved growing up. Baekhyun found the thought to be sad. For once, Baekhyun had actually pitied Chanyeol. "I ordered some food... because you know, Tao kind of forced us to come here and I figured that you were hungry."

 

"Oh thanks." 

 

"Listen, I'm sorry if I seemed upset earlier... I don't usual talk to people about my family." Chanyeol explains, scratching the back of neck. 

 

"It's okay. It wasn't like I was offended or anything..."

 

-

 

"Thanks for coming with me." Suho smiles, patting Kyungsoo's head. After school, Kyungsoo and Suho headed straight towards the art gallary to view some art together along with some other club members as well. Because of the art club, Kyungsoo and Suho soon became closer to one another and now Kyungsoo felt suprisingly comfortable around Suho.



"No problem." Kyungsoo replies, before he opens up the brochure that an employee had handed him when entered the gallary.

 

"You're artwork should be displayed over-"



"Oh my gosh, funny seeing you guys here!" Jongin says, faking his enthusiam as he carries his baby around with him and his gym bag in his hands while he approaches Suho and Kyungsoo. He had just gotten out of practice and headed straight towards the gallary once practice had ended. 



Suho frowns. "Yeah, it's getting pretty late. Why don't we-"



"All view some art together?" Jongin finishes the sentence, although it wasn't really what Suho was going to say. "What a great idea, hyung! I would love to join you guys... I do love me some art!"


"Ha. Ha. Ha! Great!" Suho replies, taking a quick glance of Kyungsoo then back at Jongin. "Jongin could you come with me for a second? I need to talk to you about something-"



"I don't want to."



"Jongin!"



"Okay, fine!" Jongin replies. Before he leaves, however, Jongin hands Kyungsoo their baby. "Could you look for him while I'm gone? He really missed you."

 

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Suho questions when they're finally in a hallway, alone.

 

Jongin scoffs. "Duh, I'm here to view some art. Come on, this is an ART gallary after all. What are you doing?"


"Jongin, I've been your step-brother for over 3 years now and I know that you have no interest in art, at all! If this is your way of ruining my date with Kyungsoo then-"


Jongin laughs. "Oh, it's not a date. You guys are just hanging out-"


"How would you know?"


"He said so himself... Besides, Kyungsoo doesn't even know what a date is. He's too innocent to know what a date is." Jongin replies. "Now if you excuse me, I want to go view some art."

 

-

 

"So Jongin who's your favorite artist?" Suho questions, a little curious. Besides, if Jongin liked art so much, he should be able to answer such a simple question.


"Oh, I like Jay Z." Jongin answers, almost immediately.


Suho laughs. "Jongin, Jay Z's not an artist-"


"So what your saying is that music isn't art? So you think that people who produce music aren't artists?" Jongin scoffs, feeling defensive over the topic. "Well, newsflash, music is art..."


Kyungsoo giggles. "I didn't know you liked music so much."

 

"This is ridiculous." Suho scoffs. "Kyungsoo, Jongin doesn't know anything about art-"

 

"Hey, guys!" Lay says, joining in on the conversation. "Jongin, I'm glad that you made it."

 

"Lay!" Suho says, with much enthusiam. "Since you're here, why don't you show Jongin around? Jongin just got here and Kyungsoo and I were planning to leave and have dinner."

 

"Uh... sure!" Lay replies, watching as Suho grabs Kyungsoo by the hand and leads him towards the exit. "That was... wierd."

 

"Tell me about it."

 

Suddenly, Lay laughs as he sees the baby in Jongin's arm. "Why are you carrying that thing around?"

 

"Oh, it's for a project. Me and Kyungsoo have to raise it and all." Jongin replies, as he watches Lay nod his head in understandment. "It screams all the time. I haven't been able to get a good night sleep in a while."

 

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. But speaking of Kyungsoo, have you seen his paintings yet?"

 

"Paintings? I thought he only knew how to draw." Jongin says, following Lay as he leads Jongin into the main exhibit where Kyungsoo's paintings hung. Jongin figures that there was much more to Kyungsoo then he had originally thought.

 

"Well, he can do both but we had all the members use paint for this event." Lay explains, showing Jongin Kyungsoo's painting of what seemed to be alot of different colored brush . "It seems that he's much louder when it comes to art. His colors are vibrant and brighter. He's not shy to express himself... You know, I heard on the news one time that the quietest people express themselves the most with art. Because they're not good with their words, they paint to show us what they're feeling. Maybe that's why this piece is so intriging... It's as if it's trying to tell us something."

 

"Tell us what?" Jongin asks, still not understanding the significance of the piece. To him, it just looked like a bunch of lines and dots... I mean, if he had some paint and a brush, Jongin would probably be able to recreate it himself. 

 

"That he's happy."


A/N: I finally got a chance to update this! Sorry it's been a while.... this  SAT class is killing me (and my time)! There's nothing really that important going on right now... just some comedy and fluff... Romance will come soon! See you on the next update!