The Start

Playing Pretend

Houses, trees, and a couple of bushes is what Kyungsoo sees one sunny day, as he makes his way into school. Since the campus was just a couple of minutes away from his house, Kyungsoo opts to walk to school. The campus was quite small but rich with greenery, something that doesn't suprise Kyungsoo- he expected his school to include lots of trees and plants due to the community's love of nature. As he nears the gates, Kyungsoo's eyes catch a group of students casually talking with one another, as they walked towards the school. He watches as a handsome, tall individual gives a high five to one of his friends and Kyungsoo begins to feel mesmerized by the man's smile. How could he be so happy upon entering the school when all Kyungsoo wanted to do was crawl under his bed the whole day?

 

"Morning man." Tao says, slinging his arms around Suho, who seemed a little off today. "What are you staring at? A cute boy- The only one I can see is Do Kyung-"

 

"It's nothing." Suho smiles, watching as Tao scrunches his face in disgust. Suho raises an eyebrow. "What?"

 

"You can't be seriously into him, right?" Tao says and Suho frowns. 

 

"What's wrong with him?"

 

"Oh gee. I don't know. Haven't you heard about all those rumors about him? People say that he's quiet because he's secretly thinking of ways to kill everyone. Besides, his eyes are too big it's like they'll pop out of his eyes at any minute. You can't be interested in that. Unless you have a for eyes popping out during -"

 

Before Tao is able to finish his sentence, Suho smacks his head. "Stop it and let's just get to class. Look I see Kris right over-"

 

"Ge ge." Tao swoons, completely forgetting about their conversation and instead rushing over towards Kris's side. 

 

Upon reaching the school, Kyungsoo's heart begins to race. He grabs the straps of his backpack and plans on not letting go until the nervous feeling goes away. It was a mixed feeling of nervousness and anxiety. A strange habit he had acquired everytime he went to school.

 

Ding

 

Kyungsoo hears the bell ring, indicating everyone to go to class but instead Kyungsoo stands in the middle of the hallways frozen and unable to move for some unknown reason; He instead opts to watch the students make their way into their classrooms. He notices a group of freshmen's terrified looks and opens his mouth to speak, but before he is given the chance to say anything, they quickly bow and apologize, before running off into the distance. 

 

When Kyungsoo finally begins to walk into his first period, he suddenly bumps into someone, which causes the individual to fall on the floor with his . The guy quickly rotates his head in annoyance, but when Kyungsoo turns around to apologize, the man quickly kneels before Kyungsoo and begins to beg. 

 

"I'm so sorry." The guy says. "I didn't mean it."

 

"I-I wasn't looking." The guy continues. "Please forgive me. I just turned 18 and I'm finally legal please. Please-"

 

"Okay." Kyungsoo replies, softly. He watches the man take a sigh of relief, before standing up and running to his next class, almost immediately.

 

Kyungsoo sighs. It had always been like this. Ever since childhood, people had grown scared of his appearance and quiet nature; however, Kyungsoo soon got acustomed to having people run off scared because of him. He scratches his head in confustion, starring at his scedhule in front of him that currently doesn't make any sense.

 

"If this is Room 136 then-"

 

Suddenly, Kyungsoo feels a light tap on his shoulder, causing him to turn around immediately. He's shocked when he sees the guy before standing right in front of him, smiling. "Are you lost? Because if you are I could be at some sort of assistance-"

 

Kyungsoo plays with his fingers, shyly and then hands the man a piece of paper with his schedule. The man takes the paper and laughs, obviously a bit amused at how Kyungsoo spoke so little. "Are you looking for Room 148? That's right across the hall. Here, let me accompany you."

 

The man reaches his hand out towards Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo slowly reaches out to shake it. "I'm Kim Joonmyun. But everyone calls me Suho."

 

"Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo." Kyungsoo says, softly but loud enough for Suho to understand. Suho then makes his way across the hall, with Kyungsoo following close behind.

 

"So what year are you?" Suho asks, leading the way for Kyungsoo. "I'm in my fourth year right now."

 

"Third." Kyungsoo responds."I'm on my third year."

 

"Are you sure you're in your third year?" Suho teases. "You seem like a first year student with your height and unfamiliarity with the school."

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"For what? There's nothing to be sorry about. I was just kidding-"

 

"The bell." Kyungsoo mutters.

 

"That's for students to know when class is starting and when it ends-"

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head and holds on to the straps on his backpack once again. "Dont you... have to get to class? You might be late because of me."

 

"Dont worry about me. It's my job as president to help students-"

 

"President?" Kyungsoo blinks in confusion. "But you're only in highschool. I thought that presidents were supposed to be-"

 

Suho laughs. "No not that kind of president. I'm the president in school. I got elected by most of the students and it looks like I found someone who voted for the opposing person."

 

"I made a pinky promise to vote for him. I'm sorry."

 

Suho smiles. "I'm sure you did."

 

Suho then stops his tracks and stands outside of the door and Kyungsoo follows. "Well here you go, Room 148. If you need anything else or just need someone to talk to just contact me, okay?"

 

Kyungsoo opens the door, but before he steps into the classroom, he smiles slightly in Suho's direction. "Thanks."

 

Suho returns the smile. It was true that Suho had take an interest in Kyungsoo despite all of the rumors surrounding him, Suho knew Kyungsoo had a good heart. Unless Kyungsoo cleans up after people for fun. Suho then takes his leave once Kyungsoo had stepped inside of the classroom and proceeds to make his way to his first period of the day.

 

Upon stepping inside of the classroom, Kyungsoo notices his teacher struggling to keep order in the class and his students quiet; however, all of his efforts fail. The classroom was in utter chaos with students out of their seats and socializing with one another instead of focusing their attention on their teacher. When the teacher had finally had enough, he slams his fist onto his desk and the class soon grows silent. 

 

"That's it. I've enough." The teacher yells and Kyungsoo flinches, following the other students that were hurridly making their way back to their seats. "How many times do I have to tell you guys to get your books out before you finally listen to me? I'm sick and tired of all of your crap. Even if this is a simple class, Home Economics should be taken seriously. It helps improve many skills-"

 

"Like?"

 

"Relationship skills, nutrition, child development, finances, and many more that you all should be focusing on." The teacher continues. "Besides, don't you guys want to be able to start a family with your significant other one day and not get a divorce like 35% of other couples in the nation?"

 

"Yeah, but you you can't all expect us to be interested when all we do is read every single day. It's only first period and none of us are even awake yet." A student replies and the rest of the class nods in agreement. 

 

"You're right. You're all right."

 

"We are?"

 

The teacher nods. "Starting tomorrow, we're all going to burn our textbooks because I've decided to do an activity that everyone will be participating in."

 

"You will all get paired up into pairs and get married to one another. You may not have the oppurtunity to choose your partners, because I will be selecting them randomly-"

 

"But most of us are already dating. We can't-"

 

"If you want to recieve an A in my class than yes you can." The teacher states. "It's a simple task, keep your partner happy than you have an A in my class. Get a divorce then the both of you fail. Simple as that. Now, let's get to the pairs-"

 

"Already?"

 

"Zhang, Tao - Wu, Yi Fan." 

 

"The ? No." Kris shouts out almost immediatly, while Tao just smiles in his seat, happy with the teacher's decision. It's not a secret that Tao had certain feelings for the latter, everyone in the whole school knows about his love for Kris. The two had met way back in second grade when Kris stood up for Tao when bullies where trying to take his lunch from him. All Kris wanted in return was Tao's yogurt but instead he had to deal with Tao's clingyness his whole life. 

 

"He's so ing annoying. I can't even spend-"

 

"Lu Han - Oh Sehun."

 

"But they're already dating!" A student exclaims. "That's unfair-"

 

Sehun rolls his eyes and gives his boyfriend a cute wink, causing Luhan to laugh and fake a gag sound. "Shut up and let the wonderful teacher continue on with his great grouping up student skills."

 

"Byun, Baekhyun - Park, Chanyeol."

 

The two stare at one another in utter disgust and scoff. Baekhyun rolls his eyes, as Chanyeol crosses his arms. "Get married to eyeliner guy?  No thanks. Seeing how he treats Jongdae everyday, I'd rather get my leg bitten off. Literally"

 

"Oh, I can make that happen." Baekhyun replies, giving Chanyeol a nasty look. 

 

"Considering the fact that your boyfriends not here today, I bet you tortured him into-"

 

Baekhyun and Jongdae have been dating for a year and a half but have baically grown up together since birth because their families are so close to one another. Ever since they've been dating, Baekhyun's had to deal with Jongdae's best friend, Chanyeol, who just so happens to annoy the out of him. But because of his love towards Jongdae, Baekhyun's decided to look past Chanyeol's idiodic behavior and tried to get along with Chanyeol... for 3 days until Chanyeol 'accidentally' slipped milk on his new silk shirt.

 

"I'm here." 

 

All of the students heads turn towards the door and watch as Jongin waves at the teacehr, who just continues to look at him unimpressed. Jongin clears his throat, as he makes his way to his seat.  

 

"Mr. Kim-"

 

"No need to address me by my last name. I'd like it if you'd call me Jongin. We're on a teacher-student basis anyways-"

 

"You're 20 minutes late."

 

"I know. I was sick." Jongin smiles and fakes a cough. "See sick. But don't worry, I told myself to go to school just so that I could come to your class. You're welcome. Anyways what did I miss?"

 

"Well Kris and I got married." Tao states, happily. 

 

"Wow. That's great. A little too fast but still thats great." Jongin replies, smiling. "I knew Kris and you would work out."

 

Kris grits his teeth, sending death glares towards Jongin's direction. "You little prick-"

 

"Quiet." The teacher interrupts.  "Kim Jongin - Do Kyungsoo."

 

"What the hell is that? A code or something-"

 

"It is not a code Mr. Kim-"

 

"Jongin."

 

The teacher rolls his eyes. "Jongin since no one in this class rarely pays attention or listens to me, I've decided to set up an activity that requires all of the students to pair up and get married to one another to show just how complicated it is to be married and dealing with obstacles."

 

"Continuing on." The teacher states and then continues to pair up the remaining students.

 

Jongin eyes his new partner rather curiously. He's heard of Do Kyungsoo before but he's actually never had the chance to have a conversation with the latter. So when he finds out that he has to be paired up with Kyungsoo and pretend to be married to him, Jongin just finds the assignment very difficult. What were they even going to talk about? 

 

"Let's be friends." Jongin announces.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Be friends." Jongin repeats and laughs until he is met with Kyungsoo's serious face. He clears his throat. "It's just as I said. We should be friends as in having a friendly relationship with one another. Haven't you ever had a friend before?"

 

"Are dogs considered friends?"

 

"No." Jongin says but then he shakes his head, as he begins to think of his own love able dogs. "Actually yes, but they don't count."

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head. "Then no."

 

Jongin smile falls. He actually pitied Kyungsoo, someone like him should have friends. Everyone was supposed to have friends. Friends just make everything better even though his friend can be annoying at times, Jongin still can't imagine his life without friends. Jongin was determined to make Kyungsoo become his friend. No matter what. "Well I'll be your friend."

 

"We're both practically going to be 'married' by tomorrow and even if it's for pretend, we should at least be on friendly terms with one another right?" Jongin asks and Kyungsoo nods. "So great, from now on Kim Jongin and Do Kyungsoo are friends."

 

Kyungsoo smiles.

 

-

 

"I hate that ing teacher so much." Kris says, as the others eat their lunch in peace. "Why did I have to get paired up with Tao. Why am I being punished. I haven't done anything wrong-"

 

Sehun takes a bit of his sandwich. "Come on, it's not that bad-"

 

"Youre just saying that because you got paired up with you ing boyfriend. I hope you both end up getting a divorce-"

 

Sehun frowns. "Hey."

 

"Apologize Wu." Chanyeol says, sighing. "But I agree I hate that teacher too. That paired me up with Baekhyun."

 

"Relax, I was kidding." Kris apologizes and then turns his attention towards Jongin, who just continues to eat his lunch at peace. "The one who's really going together a divorce is Jongin."

 

"Aren't you scared though? I heard he summons ghosts. It's not too late to fail the class."

 

Jongin groans, putting his sandwich down. "Those are all rumors. Dont believe everything you hear Wu."

 

"But it's not a rumors. Someone saw him in the bathroom one time talking to-"

 

"I'm done with this conversation." Jongin says as he rolls his eyes an begins to stand up. He slings his backpack around his back and then makes his way out of the cafeteria. He didn't understand why all his friends were talking about Kyungsoo. It's not like he's done anything wrong to any of them.

 

"I just saw Jongin leaving, did you guys get into a fight?" Luhan asks, approaching the table with Tao following beside him.  Luhan takes a seat in front of Sehun and raises an eyebrow. "What'd you guys do now?"

 

"Nothing." Sehun replies. "We just told him rumors concerning his partner. That's all-"

 

"Well that's dumb." Luhan replies. "Those rumors are obviously false-"

 

Chanyeol raises an eyebrow. "How are you so sure?"

 

"Because, I'm not an idiot. I always see Kyungsoo after school and if tidying up the class that you ers make makes him a creep then we all live in a ed up society. He's just misunderstood." 

 

"Whatever I still find him a bit-"

 

"Tao can you please stop holding onto my arm, I can't eat my sandwich with you holding my arm down!" Kris interrupts, trying to pull his arm away from Tao's grasp. "Let go!"

 

"Do you want me to feed you?" Tao asks, hopeful even though he knows what the answer was going to be.

 

"No."

 

"We're technically married so come on-"

 

"The assignment starts tomorrow. At least let me spend the most of my single life eating my sandwich in peace." Kris replies and Tao frowns. 

 

"You guys should really start to get along if you want an A in Home Economics." Chanyeol says, bluntly.

 

"Speak for yourself." Kris replies, rolling his eyes. "How about you and Baekhyun? I'd like to see you two not fight for atleast a day. Which is technically impossible for you two because you guys hate each other. I'm suprised you guys haven't killed each other yet-"

 

"Maybe it's because if Baekhyun really did kill me, Jongdae would probably break up with him for killing his bestfriend."

 

"Speaking of Baekhyun, where is he? I haven't seen him around lately." Luhan says, scanning around the cafeteria in search of the brunette. "He went to school though, did he leave early?"

 

"He's probably with Jongdae and his senior friends." Sehun replies. "They've been hanging out together lately."

 

-

 

As Jongin passes the library, his eyes catch Kyungsoo through an open window, quietly watering the plants outside. He hasn't seen the latter since first period and wasn't expecting him to be spending his lunch outside to water plants. Jongin leans towards the window and watches, as Kyungsoo waters each and every part of the plants, providing them nutrients.

 

"You're unbelievable do you know that."

 

When Kyungsoo looks up, he mets Jongin's eyes. "I was just watering the plants. They need eat."

 

"I can see that. But you know its lunch, you still need to eat too. Have you eaten?" Jongin asks and Kyungsoo shakes his head. "Why haven't you eaten yet? You need to eat too-"

 

"I eat at home." 

 

"Why?"

 

"I feel less lonely when I eat at home." Kyungsoo mutters, softly. 

 

"We'll not anymore." Jongin states. "You're eating with me. As your friend, I need to do what's best for you and I can't just let you skip meals-"

 

"Why are you doing this?

 

"I told you, I'm your friend."

 

"Why? Is it because you pity me. Because if you do, then I dont want to be friends with you anymore." Kyungsoo states, standing up to take his leave, but stops when he hears Jongin calling after him.

 

"Kyungsoo, I'm not pitying you." Jongin says. "Sure, I pity you alittle, but that's not the only reason I want to be friends with you. I want to be on friendly terms as we do this assignment. I don't want to be awkward-"

 

Kyungsoo lowers his head. "I'm sorry. You're right."

 

"Unless you really don't want to be friends with me then that's a different story. You do want to be my friend right? You don't feel pressured into being my friend, right?"

 

"I just don't want to burden you." Kyungsoo says, sincerly.

 

"Burden me?"

 

"I'm not good with people." Kyungsoo explains. "I'm not like you. I can't open myself up to everyone and I don't express my feelings well. You might get tired of me and I might be burden to you-"

 

"Well then maybe I could help you out with that." Jongin suggests and Kyungsoo looks up at him for the first time.

 

"Give me your phone number-"

 

"No."

 

"You know you're quiet impressive. No ones ever declined my request before." Jongin laughs and hops out of the window to become closer to Kyungsoo. He grabs Kyungsoo's arm and takes out a pen to start writing numbers on it. "Well if you're not going to give me your number than I'll give you mine. Call me whenever you want-"

 

Kyungsoo begins to pull his arm away, but Jongin's grasp was to strong. "I dont need it-"

 

When Jongin finishes, he smiles and lets go of Kyungsoo's arm. "There."

 

Maybe Jongin's friends were right, maybe Kyungsoo's and his marriage will ultimately end in a divorce. But on the other hand maybe they weren't

 

Just maybe.


A/N: This is the result of watching Kimi Ni Todoke again. Sigh. I'm really excited for this story though, mostly because it's so different from I Couldn't Stay Away, which will be updated soon. I hope.  Anyways, I really wanted a story about innocent and loner Kyungsoo falling in love with a cocky, yet friendly Jongin, who also teaches him things along the way. Honestly, I was kind of debating whether to write a highschool!au or a fantasy!au but then I decided to write this. 

So ta-dah!