The Baby Project || Part 1

Playing Pretend

The baby project -or what Kris would like to call it the project sent from hell- was the next assignment Mr. Lee had planned for his class. The assignment was simple. All couples would all recieve a robotic baby and raise it as it was their own. The purpose of this assignment was to learn the dificulties of raising a child and also hopefully encourage students not to be dumb and get pregnant at such an early age with a bright future ahead of them. 

 

"This is stupid." Kris blurts, taking a seat with his crying baby in his arms. "It's been crying since 3rd period and I can't get it to stop."

 

"You know what Kris, I'm getting tired of you complaining all the time." Chanyeol replies, looking a bit moody as he rolls his eyes in responds before turning his attention to his own baby. Since Baekhyun hadn't gone to school today, the baby was too stay with Chanyeol the whole night by defult. When the baby suddenly starts to cry, however, Chanyeol lets out a loud groan, before taking the baby into his arms and craddling it, as an attempt to make it stop crying. 

 

 Looking around, Kris sighs, as he rocks his baby back and forth. "By this is the time, Tao usually comes in and annoys the hell out of me. Where is that motherfuc-"

 

"Haven't you heard? He's on a vacation so he's not coming to school anytime soon." Sehun interrupts, enjoying his lunch in peace, because Luhan had offered to take the baby during lunch. 

 

"What the ?" Kris groans. "Don't tell me, I have to raise this piece of shi-"

 

"Shh." Chanyeol hushes, placing a finger on Kris's lips. "Language. You're technically a father now, you can't just throw profanities in every sentence! Think about your child."

 

"Look Wu, it has your eyes." Sehun mocks, happily watching as his two friends craddle their babies in their arms. 

 

"Argh!" Kris groans, when he hears the crying begin again. Standing up, he gathers his belongings and brings the baby into his arms before he throws the two a quick glare. 

 

-

 

Jongin scans his eyes around the empty hallway in search of Kyungsoo. The two had promised to meet up during lunch so that Jongin could help Kyungsoo with their robotic baby, but after 10 minutes of searching near and far, Jongin was still unable to locate Kyungsoo. Reaching into his pockets for his phone, Jongin facepalms himself when he realizes that he still doesn't have Kyungsoo's number. After almost 3 months of being partners...

 

"Jongin!"

 

Turning around, Jongin watches as Lay makes his way towards him. "I've been looking for you everywhere. Are you looking for someone? You seemed a bit-"

 

"I was looking for Kyungsoo." Jongin replies. 

 

"Oh."

 

"Is there anything you need? Or-" 

 

Smiling, Lay shakes his head. "Oh it's nothing. I just really missed talking to you. I had fun the other night, It was just like old times. Listen, on friday, it's my birthday-"

 

"I'm aware."

 

"I'm glad you remembered." Lay replies, forming a warm smile. "Anyways, I was wondering if you wanted to go with me to the resteraunt we always went to when we celebrated our birthdays."

 

Jongin hesitates. "I don't know, I-"

 

"How long are you going to keep blowing me off?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"I'm not an idiot, Jongin." Lay replies, laughing slightly. "You really don't think I haven't noticed that you've been avoiding me? Whenever I try to talk to you or ask you to hang out alone, you tell me you have practice. I get that we broke up... but I thought we promised to be friends? It's been almost a year since we broke up and I can't celebrate my birthday myself, Jongin. You know I can't."

 

"I just need you there... even if we're just friends." Lay continues. 

 

"I'll wait for you." Lay suddenly speaks, with confidence in his voice, as Jongin remains silent. "Even if you don't come, I'll still wait for you."

 

When Lay leaves after his bold statement, Jongin stands in the middle of the hallway, lost. When he and Lay were still dating, it became an annual occassion to celebrate their birthdays together. But now, since they had broken up, it was the first year Lay would spend his birthday alone. It was obvious Lay still had feelings for Jongin, even Jongin himself knew it. And of course, Jongin still cared about Lay, but maybe leading him wasn't the best way in trying to have closure in their relationship. 

 

Snapping out of it, Jongin notices Kyungsoo across the hallway, coming out of the restroom with the baby in his hands. Quickly, Jongin approaches. "There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere."

 

"I had to return a book at the library." Kyungsoo replies. "Weren't you bored waiting for me? You could've left-"

 

"It's fine. I just finished talking to Lay a couple of minutes ago so I wasn't bored at all."

 

"Oh." 

 

"By the way, it looks like I have something to do this friday." Jongin announces, suddenly remembering Lay's birthday. "You don't have to wait up for me after my practice anymore. We can do tutoring next week-"

 

"Oh, okay." Kyungsoo replies. "I have a club meeting on friday anyways. I'm joined  the art club."

 

Surprised, Jongin lets out a stunned smile. "Really? What made you want to join? It doesn't sound like you... but still, thats great!"

 

Kyungsoo uncomfortably rubs the back of his neck. "Actually, I wasn't planning to... but Suho insisted that I should. He said it's a great way of making friends."

 

After hearing Suho's name, Jongin's smile falls. "I didn't know you two were friends."

 

"Friends?" Kyungsoo blinks. "I'm his friend? I don't know if he likes me enough to be my friend..."

 

"Well, do you want to be friends with him?"

 

Nodding his head, Kyungsoo speaks. "I think he's nice so I want to be friends with him."

 

"Nice?" Jongin scoffs. "Kyungsoo, I'm his step-brother. Suho's not nice. In fact, you should be careful around him. Suho's a huge ert and he... he doesn't like dogs! He hates them! I just wanted to warn you because I know how much you love dogs."

 

Kyungsoo gasps, before turning to face Jongin with a shocked yet disgusted look on his face. "What? Suho... no. He can't-"

 

Smirking to himself, Jongin nods his head. "It's true! When we went on vacation, he ate dogs... and cats! He also has major allergies to water... I'm telling you, Suho's a weird person. You should probably stop hanging out with him."

 

-

 

"That's a nice painting." Suho says, as he creeps up behind Kyungsoo. Tilting his head, Suho smiles. "Is that a painting of a... dog?"

 

Nodding, Kyungsoo continues to apply paint onto the canvas. "Yeah, his name's Lettuce."

 

"Why did you decide to paint your dog?" Suho laughs slightly, as he sets up his painting supplies beside him. "It's quite unusual seeing someone paint a dog here. Normally, we see people or flowers... never dogs."

 

"I paint things that I like." Kyungsoo replies, softly. 

 

"Well, since it's a thing that you like so much, I'd love to meet your dog some day."

 

Suddenly, Kyungsoo hears Jongin's voice in his head. "He eats dogs." 

 

"No! You can't!" Kyungsoo stands up, frightened as he remembers what Jongin had said in the morning. As he stands, Kyungsoo accidently slashes Suho with his water tub.

 

"He has major allergies to water." Kyungsoo hears Jongin's voice again. 

 

Shocked, Kyungsoo suddenly rushes towards Suho's side to wipe the water off of Suho. "Oops! Don't die... No, I didn't mean too! Oh no... It's my fault. I'll pay for your hospital bills-"

 

Laughing, Suho stares at Kyungsoo with an amused look on his face. "You know, I never knew you were so funny! I'm fine."

 

"But... Jongin said that you're allergic to water." Kyungsoo replies, fumbling with his hands. "I'm sorry."

 

"Jongin?" Suho repeats, raising an eyebrow. "What else has he been telling you about me?"

 

"That you hate dogs... and that you eat them." Kyungsoo replies, still frightened by the fact that Suho might actually eat his favorite animal in the world. "That's why I was against you seeing my dog. I didn't want you to eat it... I know Lettuce might look good to eat because he's so fat but I really like him... you can't eat him-"

 

"Kyungsoo, relax. I'm not going to eat your dog." 

 

"Are you going to eat my cat then?"

 

"Cat? What no! I'm not going to eat your cat either... This whole thing is nonsense." Suho sighs, ruffling Kyungsoo's hair. "I'm not allergic to water nor do I eat cats and dogs. Everything that Jongin said was a lie... he was joking with you."

 

"Oh."

 

"You shouldn't listen to what he says. Jongin's probably just jealous."

 

"Of what?" Kyungsoo replies, looking innocent. 

 

"That he can't paint or draw like we can."

 

-

 

"What is this?" Baekhyun asks, a bit confused to see Chanyeol with a pretend baby in his hands. "Why do you have a... a baby with you?"

 

"His name is Connard." 

 

"Why-"

 

"Mr. Lee wouldn't accept me naming the doll "" okay? So I looked up what meant in French and it turns out it was Connard so I went with it." Chanyeol explains, handing the baby to Baekhyun. "Well, see you tomorrow-"

 

Grabbing the edge of Chanyeol's shirt, Baekhyun pulls Chanyeol back. "Wait, you're not leaving here! I can't raise this thing-"

 

"His name is Connard." 

 

Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun replies. "Okay, well I can't raise Connard. I'm sick."

 

"It's not like the thing's real-"

 

"It's not a thing. His name is Connard." Baekhyun replies, sticking his tongue out at Chanyeol, who tightens his jaw in response. "Point is, I can't take care of him today. I'm kind of busy-"

 

Raising an eyebrow, Chanyeol speaks. "Doing what?"

 

"Stuff."

 

"As in?"

 

"Important stuff."

 

"Oh my god, Baekhyun. What stuff?" Chanyeol shouts out in frustration, causing the baby to suddenly start crying. ". Look what you did! You made Connard cry!'

 

"Me? You were the one shouting!" Baekhyun scoffs, as he takes Connard into his hands and rocks the baby until he had stopped crying. "Come inside, I'll go look for something to feed the baby-"

 

"Baekhyun, it's not a real baby." Chanyeol scoffs, as he steps inside of the house. Upon reaching the living room, Chanyeol notices the television showing a drama that he too was fond of. "What episode is this?"

 

"15. He just found out who really killed his father." Baekhyun explains, handing Chanyeol a glass of water. "Do you watch this show too? You don't look like the type to watch such a chick flick-"

 

"It's not a chick flick!" Chanyeol argues. "Men could watch this too... It has everything a man would want. Mystery, Romance, and... and Suspense."

 

"At least someone understands!" Baekhyun replies, laughing slightly. "Jongdae thinks this show's stupid..."

 

"Like I said in the movie theater, you're boyfriend has bad taste in... pretty much everything. I don't even understand what you see in him."

 

"I've known him since... since forever really."

 

"That's it? You can't just like the guy just because he's been with you since you were kids." Chanyeol scoffs, but when he sees Baekhyun not argue with him like usual, Chanyeol figures that Baekhyun was upset with what he had said. Sighing, Chanyeol speaks. "I didn't mean it like that. If you found it ofensive then I'm sorry."

 

"It's fine." 

 

Before Chanyeol has a chance to respond, a sudden cry is heard from the kitchen. Groaning, Baekhyun speaks. "You can leave, I can take care of him for today. Besides you have practice, you should probably get going."


A/N: I was finally able to update after 2 months! I absolutly have no storyline that I'm following for this story so I've been going with the flow lately which kind of also slows me down... See you on the next update!