The Honeymoon Project : Part 1

Playing Pretend

"Good morning class." Mr. Lee says, as he walks into his classroom only to hear groans and boo's from his students. He rolls his eyes at the response and then places his belongs ontop of his desk, before replying with a sarcastic tone in his voice. "Great to see all of you too."

 

"Now, let's get started with our lesson today. " Mr. Lee continues, taking out his laptop and notebook in the process. "As you all know, it's been nearly a 3 days since we last talked about this marriage experiment and now it's time to actually start."

 

The class groans. 

 

"For today's activity, it's time to find out the occupations of you and your spouse. This step is crucial because it determines how much money you and your spouse both make." The teacher explains, as he takes his hat off of his head and places numerous pieces of paper in it. He then turns to his students and speaks once again. "I want everyone to pick out of my hat. This hat contains many different occupations; They could be great and they could also be horrible."

 

"Which couple wants to pick first?"

 

"Oh us, Mr. Lee." Tao says, raising his hand in a hurry. He then turns to an unhappy looking Kris and holds his hands up also, causing Kris to roll his eyes in annoyance. "We want to volunteer Mr. Lee-"

 

"Great." Mr. Lee replies, approaching the two with his hat. He holds the hat between Kris and Tao, watching as the two pick up a piece of paper from it. He then watches the two unwrap the sheet of paper before asking about their results. "Well?"

 

"A neurosurgeon?" Tao tilts his head in confusion. "What's that, Mr Lee? Some kind of doctor?"

 

"Well kind of." Mr. Lee states. "A neurosurgeon is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and surgical treatment of disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system-"

 

Kris scoffs and turns his face towards Tao. "You a neurosurgeon? He probably doesn't even know where his brain is located-"

 

"That's enough, Mr. Wu." Mr. Lee scolds, turning his attention towards Kris. "Now, what did you pick?"

 

Kris unfolds the sheet of paper from his hands to reveal his occupation. He groans and crumples up the sheet of paper, before attempting to grab another sheet from the hat - only to get his hand slapped away from Mr. Lee.

 

Kris looks up in annoyance. "What?"

 

"There's no re-picks. Now, why don't you show the class what you picked?"

 

"How about I don't-"

 

"Mr. Wu."

 

Kris sighs in defeat. "Fine, I got a clown. A clown my -"

 

"Don't say bad words in my classroom Mr. Wu. It's unappropriate."

 

"Well then you probably live under a rock, because you should know that there are other unappropritate words than-"

 

"Moving on." Mr. Lee says, walking away from the two, who were still unhappy with what they had gotten. He then makes his way to another table and places the hat in between Luhan and Sehun. "How about you two pick next?"

 

After retrieving a piece of paper from the hat, Luhan reads his aloud. "Chef?"

 

"You can't cook though, how ironic babe." Sehun laughs earning him a hard nudge by his partner. He clears his throat beforing reading his. "I got an Engineer."

 

"Okay, let's move on to our next couple." Mr. Lee says, moving towards Baekhyun and Chanyeol. As each one picks a piece of paper, Mr. Lee paciently waits for them to read aloud in front of the class."

 

"Computer Engineer." 

 

"Teacher." Baekhyun groans, earning him a look from Mr. Lee. 

 

"What's wrong with being a teacher, Mr. Byun."

 

Baekhyun fakes a smile. "Nothing, Mr. Lee." 

 

Baekhyun takes a sigh of relief when he sees his teacher begin to walk away towards a different couple. Mr. Lee then makes his way towards Kyungsoo and Jongin before placing the hat in between them. Being a gentlemen, Jongin lets Kyungsoo pick first and waits until Kyungsoo reads his before picking one up. 

 

"Artist." Kyungsoo says, softly reading the card he had picked. 

 

Jongin then picks one up from the hat and begins to read it aloud. Jongin smiles when he sees what was writen on the small sheet of paper. "I got a... doctor."

 

After a couple more minutes of picking, the last couple had finally picked theirs indicating that it was time to move on and start the real assignment. Mr. Lee then walks up back to his desk and puts the hat into his drawer before he speaks.

 

"Now that you've all finished picking, lets move on to the real assignment. As I mentioned, before every week you will have an assignment where you and your spouse have to work to together in order to complete it. This week's assignment is called the Honeymoon Project - you know the thing that happens after you get married."

 

"Well for this assignment, I want all of you to go on dates with your partner and try to incorperate your occupations into it. Such as going to the movies if your occupation is an actor. You have more than enough time to plan out your date throughly."

 

Mr. Lee then stands up to hand each student a mini journal. "Now, this journal is for you to track your emotions and thoughts during this assignment and all future assignments assigned later on within the course. Feel free to write down anything you feel because ultimately this journal will reflect what it feels like to be married and what you have learned with each assignment. It might even make you see progress in your relationships. Take this journal seriously don't just dribble on it. This journal is also be graded once this whole project is done."

 

-

 

Going to the basketball game wasn't really what Kyungsoo had planned Friday night, but since Jongin had insisted to watch him play, Kyungsoo agreed to go. Now, here he was sitting down on the bleachers surrounded by a bunch of other students cheering and screaming noisly when Jongin or another one of his teamates make another shot. Compared to the other students however, Kyungsoo looked and seemed very different. The students were all wearing navy blue t-shirts, the school's official color, in order to show support for their scchool's team. Kyungsoo however, wore a black jacket that managed to hide his face with his hoodie. Instead of cheering like the others, Kyungsoo kept quiet and ocassionally plugged his ears when it got to loud for his liking.

 

"Jongin!" Kyungsoo hears the crowd. "Kim Jongin!"

 

The crowd cheers in unison, as Jongin makes another shot, amazing Kyungsoo and the rest of the onlookers sitting on the bleachers. It didn't really suprise Kyungsoo how popular Jongin was -considering the fact that he was the basketball team's captain and all. But what he didn't expect was to see the opposing team's crowd cheer for Jongin as well whenever Jongin did something eye catching. It was either Jongin's basketball skills that got the opposing team's crowd rallied up or  Jongin's handsome features. Kyungsoo figured it was both. 

 

"Woo! Go Kris!"

 

Kyungsoo hears to his right. When he turns his direction to the voice, he sees Tao dressed in navy blue standing up to cheer when Kris comes out to play. Kyungsoo watches in amusement when Tao swoons over Kris when Kris manages to take the ball out of the opposing team's player. Kris dribles the ball all the way across the court when he suddenly gets shoved by a tall, darked-hair player, who manages to take the ball from him. 

 

"Boo!" Tao shouts along with the upset crowd. "That's a foul. He got shoved!"

 

The referee blows his wistle, before grabbing the ball to give to Kris and wispering something unadudiable in his ears. The crowd then watches as Kris dribbles the ball towards the free throw line before he stops immediately in the middle. There's a moment of silence, as Kris takes a deep breath trying to focus on the rim and basket before he jumps slightly with the ball escaping his grip. 

 

The crowd cheers in excitement when the ball passes through the net. After a couple of highfives and hugs from his teammates, Kris cis able to compose himself as the game continues. The game ends a couple of minutes later with the winning team being the school's team, the crowd cheers once again, as they watch the two teams shake hands before returning to their lockers to take a quick wash and to change. 

 

-

 

"Why are we here?" Baekhyun groans, rolling his eyes when he enters the arcade. Chanyeol had picked him up a couple of minutes ago to go on their date for their assignment and in all honesty, Baekhyun thought that Chanyeol actually had something better planned out than to go to a loud, noisy arcade filled with a bunch of kids. They were in highschool for god's sake, what the hell were they even doing in there?

 

"I told you-"

 

"You've got to be kidding me." Baekhyun replies, scoffing when he sees Chanyeol begin to walk towards an old Pac-Man machine that he didn't even know still existed. If Chanyeol wanted to play games for their date, why didn't he just suggest playing Flappy Bird on their phone or something rather than play a stupid old game?

 

Baekhyun walks towards Chanyeol with a stern look on his face. When he sees Chanyeol put in a quater to start the game, Baekhyun crosses his arms in annoyance. "Chanyeol, does going to the arcade for our assignment even make sense? I got a teacher. You got a computer engineer. I see no connection to any of the occupations we picked in class. So why the hell did you think this was a good idea?"

 

"Are you even listening to me?" Baekhyun frowns, staring at the backside of Chanyeol. 

 

 When Baekhyun doesn't get a response, he tries to distract the latter by taking control of one of the controllers making Chanyeol furrow his eyebrows in annoyance. When the game ends and Chanyeol loses, Chanyeol turns to Baekhyun with an annoyed look on his face. He throws his hands up in annoyance. "What the hell?"

 

"Don't you 'what the hell' me." Baekhyun replies, knowing that sooner or later it would end in a huge arguement between the two. It always does. "That's what you get for ignoring me. We're supposed to be partners but I never said that I ever wanted to go here-"

 

"I don't see why you're making sure a big deal about it." Chanyeol answers back, almost immediatly. "It's not like you had any other ideas of what to do. You were the one that let me do everything. If you had an idea then you could've just told me-"

 

"You little-"

 

"Mister, what are you doing?" A cute, small boy with round almond eyes and chubby cheeks interrupts. The boy blinks his eyes innocently as he looks up and stares at the two, bickering with one another. Baekhyun and Chanyeol to look down in suprise, they both look at each other for a moment, before the boy speaks again, this time with a frown on his face. "Did you two have a fight?"

 

"Mommy says it's bad to fight." The boy continues, with glistening eyes making Baekhyun feel guilty for being the cause of this. The boys wipes his tears and sniffs, before looking up to face the two. "Mommy says that if you people fight, then there's going to be war and bad things. I don't want bad things to happen. So please don't fight."

 

"If you two fight again, I'm going to call mommy-"

 

"We weren't fighting. We were just having a conversation." Chanyeol says, crotching down to accomodate the boys tiny height. He pats his head gently and smiles. "The two of us are friends, right Baekhyun?"

 

It takes a moment for Baekhyun to reply but when he does, he just nods in agreement. 

 

"See?" 

 

The boy sniffs and then points to Baekhyun. "Then why was he shouting at you."

 

Chanyeol smirks. "Well, you see. He got really mad because I beat his highscore in a game of Pac-Man so he started throwing a fit. But it's okay because next time I'll let him win-"

 

Baekhyun grits his teeth but before he has a chance to reply, the boy giggles and turns to him with a smile which begins to melt Baekhyun's heart. "Mister, it's okay. It's just a game."

 

"It sure is kid." Baekhyun responds, patting the boy's head with a smile. "But the truth is, my friend here is upset because he knows that I could beat his score any time, anywhere."

 

Chanyeol scoffs. "That sounds like a challenge to me."

 

-

 

After a quick shower, Jongin heads out to the gym with a fresh set of new clothes. When he steps foot in the gym again, he is greeting with highfives and congradulations from the others students. He scans around the area hoping to find the short doe-eyed boy, who he had forced to come to the game tonight. He had felt kind of bad, forcing Kyungsoo to attend the game for their date but it's not like Jongin could ditch or anything. He was the captain after all. Besides, Friday was their only day to spend together in an attempt to get the assignment finished before school starts again next week.

 

"Congrats." Kyungsoo says, when he sees Jongin approaching. "You were great."

 

"Thanks, it was a team effort." Jongin rubs the back of his neck. "I'm sorry that I dragged you out here tonight. It's a y date, I know but-"

 

"It's okay." Kyungsoo smiles. "I enjoyed it. Really. Even though I didn't really get what was happening when it started. I'm not really good with sports in general."

 

 "Somehow I'm not suprised." Jongin laughs. When he sees a confused look on Kyungsoo's face, Jongin clears his throat. "So what do you want to do? It's only 5, we could-"

 

 "I thought watching you play was part of the assignment?" 

 

"I guess, but I feel kind of bad for forcing you to come-"

 

"You didn't force me." Kyungsoo replies, smiling a little as he takes a seat on the bleachers. "It was fun watching you and your teamates. I could see why you like basketball so much. With the crowd and all cheering you guys on."

 

"You're really lucky to have so much friends supporting you." Kyungsoo continues. "It's like making friends is like breathing to you. You're just easy to befriend."

 

"So are you. Kind of." 

 

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. "No I'm not. People are scaried of me. In fact, I don't really understand why you haven't requested switching partners in Mr. Lee's class. I have the face of a ghost-"

 

"Well then you must be a really cute ghost because I don't find you scary. Just shy and quiet." Jongin smiles, sitting besides Kyungsoo, who blushes in embarrassment. It wasn't exactly the response he was expecting Jongin to say. 

 

 "I've liked playing basketball since I was little. I saw one of my cousins playing one day and thought 'wow now that looks fun' so ever since then I've wanted to become a basketball player. My parents disagreed though and wanted me to do better things with my life like learn how to play piano or play a sophisticated sport like tennis." Jongin explains, breaking the silence.

 

"How about now?"

 

Jongin sighs. "It's still the same. They still view basketball as disgusting and a game built for barbarians -probably why they don't even talk to me anymore-"

 

"They don't talk to you?"

 

"They think I'm a disappointment." Jongin replies, laughing bitterly. "They've always wanted me to take over the family buisness when I become older but I told them that I wanted to become a doctor. They think becoming a doctor is useless-"

 

"Doctors aren't useless." Kyungsoo replies, furrowing his eyebrows. "They save people's lives. What's useless about that? Withoout them most of the population would die-"

 

Jongin laughs. "Excatly."

 

"What about you?" Jongin asks, turning to face Kyungsoo. "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

 

He hasn't really thought of what he wanted to be in the future. He's never had a passion for anything nor did he have an interest in one specific subject. Kyungsoo shrugs, pouting slightly. "I don't really know."

 

"You're so cute." Jongin responds, smiling after seeing Kyungsoo's pouty face. When Jongin grabs a hold of Kyungsoo's cheeks and piches them, a group of students pass with confused looks on their faces. Kyungsoo notices a glare from one of the female student directed towards him before she quietly whispers something in her friend's ear. 

 

"Don't you feel embarrassed when you're with me?"

 

This catches Jongin off guard. His hands slowly retracts from Kyungsoo's cheeks, before he speaks. "I don't. Why do you ask so suddenly?"

 

"Because we're so different." Kyungsoo explains, letting a sigh escape his lips. "You're handsome and popular while I have a gloomy personality and have no friends. We're too different to be friends, don't you think? So I don't understand why you sitll want to-"

 

"Kyungsoo." Jongin says firmly. "I can be friends with whoever I want. Stop degrading yourself. Sure you're not the most open person to come to or the easiest to befriend. You have no friends and you're-"

 

"Gee, thanks."

 

"-But you have a charm in you that makes me very curious." Jongin continues. "So I don't understand why the two of us can't be friends. We've been literally over this for more than a week."

 

"I'm sor-"

 

"What did I say about apologizing?" Jongin furrows his eyebrows with his finger pointed directly towards Kyungsoo. 

 

"Sor- I mean opps?"

 

Jongin laughs. Good enough.

 


A/N: I've been totally ignoring this fic for the longest time and I kind of know where I'm going but then I've been to lazy to write down my ideas. Sorry if this chapter was boring but Part 2 will probably be longer and be a continuation of Kaisoo and Baekyeol's dates plus a snippet of Taoris and Hunhan.