Friday Night

Playing Pretend

Most students in high school probably spend their Friday nights partying or even getting drunk with their friends. At least everyone except for Kyungsoo. Because instead of having a wild night out, Kyungsoo choose to spend his night surrounded by a vast variety of different books ranging from romance to mystery inside of his favorite nearby bookshop.

 

Kyungsoo flips through one of the books that had attracted his attention as he searched around the small bookshop and smiles in delight. Kyungsoo loved to read. Heck, it was his favorite hobby -after studying, of course. Reading allowed Kyungsoo to explore different things and allow his mind to gain experience and knowledge without having to do it himself.

 

When he takes his eyes off of the book, however, a sudden figure makes his way into the bookshop followed by another individual. Squinting his eyes to get a better glimpse, Kyungsoo sees Jongin having a pleasant conversation with what appeared to be his... Friend? Boyfriend? Immediately, Kyungsoo covers his face with the book, as he lowers himself to the ground in complete embarrassment. Shaking his head, Kyungsoo decides it was best if he just left.

 

"What are you doing?" Jongin questions, giving Kyungsoo a wierd look. "Aren't you going to say hi? Besides it's not like we're strangers-"

 

"-right." Kyungsoo says uncomfortably as he stands up to greet J and his friend. But before he does, Kyungsoo accidentally bumps his head on the table, causing him to groan in pain. Luck was just not on Kyungsoo's side today. 

 

Chuckling to himself, Jongin approaches Kyungsoo and rubs his hands on top of Kyungsoo's head. "Geez. Careful."

 

"Sorry." Kyungsoo replies, lowering his head.

 

"Don't be." Jongin smiles. "What are you doing here? It's a Friday night-"

 

"I was looking through the books." Kyungsoo responds. "What about you? I thought you had practice-"

 

"You remembered?" Jongin lets out a laugh. "Anyways, this is Lay."

 

"Hi." Lay smiles, extending his hand out towards Kyungsoo. "I'm Lay."

 

"Kyungsoo." Kyungsoo replies shortly, after shaking Lay's hand. 

 

"There you guys are!" A voice interrupts from behind, causing the group to turn around.

 

"Oh, Kyungsoo." Suho smiles, as he approaches the group. "Do you remember me?"

 

Blinking, Kyungsoo tilts his head as he tries to remember. The face was just so familiar that it made Kyungsoo almost want to scream because the name was literally on the tip of his tongue. "Su.."

 

"-ho." Suho finishes, as he gives Kyungsoo a warm smile. "I'm glad you remembered part of my name."

 

Jongin raises an eyebrow. "You two know each other?" 

 

"He helped me find my class." Kyungsoo shyly replies. 

 

Nodding, Suho slings an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder, catching the latter off guard. "Yup. Since I have no interest in shopping with you guys today, I'll just stay here. Besides, I don't want to be interrupting your date-"

 

Date?

 

"It's not a date." Jongin clarifies, giving Suho a quick glare before turning his attention back to Kyungsoo. "Besides you shouldn't bother Kyungsoo. I'm sure he has better things to do than hang out with you."

 

"Ouch. That hurts." Suho sighs, turning to Kyungsoo with a pout on his face. "Is that true Kyungsoo? You don't want to hang out with me? Is it because you hate me-"

 

Shaking his head, Kyungsoo speaks hurriedly. "You won't be a bother at all. In fact, I really like you-"

 

This catches both Suho and Jongin off guard, but before Jongin has a chance to reply, Lay suddenly grabs his arm and speaks. "We'll leave Suho with you if that's okay with you."

 

Nodding his head, Kyungsoo watches as Jongin hesitantly follows Lay out of the bookshop. When they leave, Kyungsoo lets out a deep sigh. Something about the image of Jongin with Lay made Kyungsoo feel... wierd. The two just looked so natural next to each other. Unlike when Jongin was with him. It was as if Kyungsoo was the polar opposite of Jongin.

 

"That was one big confession." Suho interrupts, letting out a quick laugh. "Honestly, I was shocked." 

 

"I'm sorry." Kyungsoo bows his head in embarrassment. "It wasn't a confession. It just... I..."

 

"You don't have to explain. I understand." Suho replies, patting Kyungsoo's head. "You don't have to apologize. I should be thanking you for giving me an excuse to ditch those two."

 

"Huh?"

 

"I felt like a third wheel around them. It was very awkward." 

 

"What?"

 

"Lay is Jongin's ex-boyfriend." Suho explains, as he walks around the bookstore with Kyungsoo following close besides him. As he's too preoccupied with the books, Suho doesn't notice Kyungso's face fall. 

 

"Why did they break up?" Kyungsoo questions, fidgeting with his fingers. A part of him didn't want to know but another part was very curious about Jongin's relationship with Lay.

 

"It was a sudden breakup. They were together for 3 years before Jongin suddenly broke up with him. Lay was pretty devastated when they broke up but still has feelings for him up to this date." Suho replies, closing the book and searching to find another. "Lay seems pretty determined to get back together with him so I'm sure that he was glad that I left."

 

"Oh." Kyungsoo responds then ultimately decides to move on to a new subject. "You seem quite close to Jongin"

 

"Of course. I'm his step-brother after all so technically I have to be." Suho announces, flipping through the insides of a children's book. 

 

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. Stepbrother? Jongin never told Kyungsoo that he had a stepbrother... But then again why would he? They were only mere partners for Home Economics. Nothing more. Besides Jongin's life shouldn't interest Kyungsoo... But for some reason it did. Something about Jongin's life was just so interesting unlike the boring one Kyungsoo was living. 

 

-

 

"I'm leaving." Baekhyun announces, as he tries to have a conversation despite the loud music being played. He taps on Jongdae's shoulder to capture his full attention. 
 
 
Unlike Kyungsoo, Baekhyun spent his Friday night surrounded by a bunch of loud, music and drunk people. Since football season had just ended, Jongdae had decided to throw a party at his house, in celebration. The house was an utter chaos. Everywhere Baekhyun looked there was either a fight or a couple making out in the hallways. Baekhyun enjoyed parties but not quite like this.
 
 
"What?" Jongdae shouts over the loud music before he grabs Baekhyun's hand to pull him closer.
 
 
"Take me home." Baekhyun replies. 
 
 
Jongdae groans. "Can't you just stay the night? I'm too drunk to drive right now. Besides, my parents won't be home-"
 
 
"I can't. I told you that I have a family gathering tomorrow." Baekhyun responds watching as Jongdae completely blocks him out and dances along to the song. "Forget it. I'll find another ride home."
 
 
Before Jongdae has a chance to reply, Baekhyun begins to pivot his foot and walks the opposite direction. Baekhyun makes his way down the hall when he  feels a strong grip suddenly on his hand. He turns around only to see Minho, a friend of Jongdae's and the football team's captain. Smiling, Baekhyun casually greets Minho. "Congrats on the season. You made the school proud-"
 
 
"I don't give a about the school." Minho shouts out, startling Baekhyun.
 
 
It's was then that Baekhyun noticed the red cup that Minho had in his hands - filled with beer which explains Minho's odd behavior. Besides, Minho didn't use profanities. So Baekhyun came to a conclusion that Minho was drunk. Before Baekhyun has a chance to speak, Minho pulls him closer almost a little too close. Leaning down, Minho whispers seductively inside of Baekhyun's ear. "Why don't you come with my upstairs?"
 
 
Pulling away, Baekhyun shakes his head. "I can't. I- I was just leaving."
 
 
"Come on." Minho smirks, catching Baekhyun by the waist and placing his hands on Baekhyun's . "I see the way you look at me during practice when you say you're waiting for Jongdae. If it's him you're worried about then-"
 
 
"Stop it. You're drunk!" Baekhyun responds, trying to release himself from Minho's grip but ultimately fails in the end. Instead, Baekhyun feels Mnho aggressively trying to near closer and nibbles on Baekhyun's ear. "Let me go!"
 
 
"I think you should stop now." A voice announces. 
 
 
Turning around, Baekhyun sees Chanyeol's figure casually leaning against the wall as he spied on the two secretly. Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol walks towards him and gives Minho a short glance before Chanyeol rolls his eyes in disgust. "If you're done. I'll take Byun home."
 
 
Minho furrows his eyebrows, as he places a hand to stop Chanyeol.  "What the man?"
 
 
"Don't ing touch me." Chanyeol yells, as he brushes Minho's hand off of his shoulder before grabbing Baekhyun's hand to pull him besides him. If it was another time, Baekhyun would've hit or even protested against holding hands with Chanyeol but Baekhyun was far too stunned at what had just almost happened. Instead, Baekhyun choose to keep quiet, as Chanyeol led him out of the party.
 
 
Something about Chanyeol felt safe.
 
 
"Are you okay?" Chanyeol questions, when they're finally outside. Chanyeol lets go of Baekhyun's hand and approaches to check if something had happened to Baekhyun. "Did he hurt you at all? Or even-"
 
 
"I'm fine." Baekhyun responds, eyes watering. 
 
 
"Stop lying. Where did he hurt you?"
 
 
"Really. I'm okay." Baekhyun replies with tears escaping his eyes. Baekhyun wipes the tears immediately before Chanyeol has a chance to  laugh or even  make a joke about how weak he was. 
 
 
"Baekh-"
 
 
"Chanyeol, stop. If you're just here to make fun of me then go ahead." Baekhyun sniffs. "Laugh all you want."
 
 
"I'm not going to laugh at you. There's nothing to laugh at." Chanyeol annouces, taking out a hankerchief from his back pocket and wiping Baekhyun's tears for him. When he's done, Chanyeol hands the hankerchief to Baekhyun before he speaks. "I'll take you home. Wait here for me. I'll go get my car."
 
 
Nodding, Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol heads to the streets in search of his car. As time passes, Baekhyun stares down at the hankerchief in his hands with a warm feeling in his heart. Something about Chanyeol's actions today, made Baekhyun's heart flutter. The way that Chanyeol had heroicly pulled him away from Minho and led Baekhyun outside was just so... charming.
 
 
Shaking his head, Baekhyun puts the hankerchief inside of his pocket. Charming? Did Baekhyun just really call Park Chanyeol charming? Funny. No. It couldn't have been... It was a mistake. Right?
 
 
A sudden honk interrupts his attention. When the windows are rolled down, Baekhyun sees Chanyeol in front of the car. "Get in."
 
 
The ride home was pretty awkward. Baekhyun himself wasn't even really sure of what to say. He wanted to thank Chanyeol for his actions but Baekhyun was just so damn prideful that it was getting in the way. Instead, Baekhyun just sat there as Chanyeol drove him home. 
 
 
"You're welcome." Chanyeol suddenly says, breaking the silence. 
 
 
"Huh?"
 
 
"You wanted to thank me right?" Chanyeol smirks, turning the corner. "I just figured... after I saved you and all so you're welcome. I guess I'm a hero now. Right?"
 
 
Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun turns to face the window. "What were you doing there? I wasn't expecting you to show up-"
 
 
"Why? Do I not seem like a party guy to you?" Chanyeol smirks. "I came because your boyfriend invited me. Speaking of your boyfriend, where is he? Was he really okay with having his friend touch you like that?"
 
 
"I don't know." Baekhyun replies, letting out a sigh. "He's probably too drunk to even notice anything right now. What about you did you drink?"
 
 
"No. If I did, I probably wouldn't be driving right now."
 
 
"Right." Baekhyun replies, continueing to face the window.
 
 
"Chanyeol."
 
 
Chanyeol hums in response. "Hmm?" 
 
 
"Thanks."
 
 
"For the ride?"
 
 
"Everything."
 
-

 

"What about this?" Lay questions holding up a dark blue shirt to show Jongin, who seemed completely disinterested and instead stared out of the window. Lay watches, as Jongin turns over to him with a serious look on his face.

 

"Yeah, that looks good." Jongin replies, looking away to stare blankly at his phone. He contemplated whether or not he should call or even message Kyungsoo to check up on him but then he remember... Jongin doesn't even have Kyungsoo's phone number. 

 

"That's what you said about the last one." Lay says, giving Jongin a quick pout before he puts the shirt back on the rack. "Is there something bothering you?"

 

Oh nothing really. Just that damn confession Kyungso had made to Suho a couple of minutes ago. 

 

"No." Jongin replies, as he sits upright on his chair to compose himself. "There's nothing bothering me. Sorry, it's just this season is stressing me out."

 

"It's okay." Lay smiles slightly, as he picks up another shirt. "The guy looked nice."

 

"Kyungsoo?"

 

"It seems like he definitely has a thing for Suho." Lay lets out a giggle, as he stares at himself through the mirror. "I mean, he was blushing and all when he confessed-"

 

Rolling his eyes, Jongin crosses his arms. "Kyungsoo blushes all the time."

 

"I guess. I hope they get together."

 

"Over my dead body." Jongin mutters to himself quietly.

 

"Did you say something?" Lay blinks -completely unaware of what Jongin had just said.

 

"No." 

 

"Do you like this one?" Lay questions as he shows Jongin a red shirt. "It's Suho's favorite color-"

 

"It's ugly." 

 


A/N: I feel like I always make Lay the bad guy or at least the guy that gets a broken heart in the end... I don't even know why. Lay's my bias. Well Kyungsoo and Lay are my bias but still... I'm planning to make this story pretty short because there's basically no plot at all. lol.