What Are Friends For?

Did You Even Notice Me?

Chapter 9

 

Kai

 

After dropping Mika off I called D.O. We've been friends since kindergarten,  and be knows how my parents.

"D.O. hyung I need a place to stay for a while."

 

"Sure come over, and I'll make something to eat while your on your way."

"Thanks hyung."

D.O. lives 20 minutes away from my neighborhood,  he also lives alone seeing as his parents died when he entered high school. When I arrive the door is already unlocked. I slip my shoes off, and follow the scent of food to the kitchen.  I sit at the counter watch Kyungsoo prepare our meal. He hums a song softly to himself. He doesn't seem to notice I'm here yet, but that's how he 8 when he cooks. He finally turns around, and jumps a little when he sees me.

"Oh Kai sorry I didn't notice you were there."

"It's fine hyung, and thanks."

"It's no problem it's nice to have company any way.  It gets lonely here sometimes." 

"So what do I owe this stay too."

"I'm done Soo I'm really moving out. They've gone way to far this time."

 

"Does it have to do with Mika."

"Yeah but how…"

"You didn't really think your parents would sit back, and say nothing? Of course they'd want you not to date her.  They'd rather have you date one of their business partners daughters."

 

"But why why do they think they have a say in my life when all these years I've been living in their shadows."

 

"Maybe somewhere deep down they wanted to be parents,  but they just aren't cut out for it."

 

I sigh thinking he's probably right.

 

"Well since your official leaving you can stay here with me as long as you want, but you will be helping out around the house."

 

"Fine with me."

 

"Good then your first order of business do the dishes."

 

"Aww hyung…"

 

His glare silences me. Even though he's smaller than me he has a wicked headlock that once he puts you in only he can get you out.  I stand there slowly washing each dish.  I can hear D.O. somewhere in the background humming while moving stuff around. I guess he's making the other bed in his room. It used to belong to his older brother, but then the accident happened. His family was all killed in a car crash only he survived. Even with that he kept his head up, and carried on without them. I know he misses them. He may not show anyone else, but he's always shown me how he really feels. He only talks to me when he's missing them, and I'm okay with it. I guess in some ways it's like talking to a brother.

"Jongin are you done with the dishes I made up your bed. "

 

"Give me a second I have a couple more."

 

I quickly finish the rest and drain the water from the sink. Then head towards his room. I look down at the sheets, and smile. Their the same Pororo sheets I used when we were kids, and I'd run away to here. 

 

"I kept them even though it's been awhile.  I know how you like Pororo so I thought you'd like your old sheets."

 

"Thanks hyung." I smile, as I fall onto the bed.

 

He sits on his looking down at the floor as if thinking. 

 

"You know you can talk to me?"

 

"Yeah I was just thinking about…"

 

"Your family I know hyung you miss them."

 

"It just gets so lonely with me being here all alone."

His eyes begin to water, but he quickly wipes it away.

 

"Hyung I'm sorry, I haven't been a good friend like I should.  I'm sorry you felt that way."

 

"No its not you, it's just I keep wishing I had my normal life back, or that I could have at least said goodbye. I wish I could apologize for making Seungsoo mad that day..I..I."

 

I get up, and go hug him. I feel terrible since I haven't been paying him as much attention as I should.  He's always hurting,  but he won't show it to anyone but me now. I'm the closest thing to family he has now. 

"It's okay hyung just let it out. I'm here for you."

His words dissolve into incoherent babble soon as sobs rack his body. I just continue hugging him knowing it will pass soon.  After a few minutes his sobs turn into sniffles. I squeeze his hand tightly trying to get him to calm down.  When the room is silent I finally pull away. I look at his face and see it's a mess. I run to the bathroom get a rag, wet it then run back to the room. He takes it from me, and wipes his face.

 

"Thanks Jongin." He whispers. 

 

"No problem hyung, but you really need to find something that you can let these emotions out in. It's not good to bottle them up like that for so long."

 

"I know it's just who else can I trust?"

 

"There's 12 of us not including Angel, and Mika. We all know what happened.  Just trust our friends they'll be there for you too. Just like I am."

 

He goes silent for a moment as if thinking. 

 

"I don't know if I can be completely be honest yet, but I'll try to express how I really feel a little more."

 

"Thanks Kai you're always there for me when I need it."

 

"No problem hyung, besides you've been there plenty of times too, so we both need each other. "

 

"Yeah I guess your right, but any way what are you going to do now that you've officially left you parents."

 

"Start over, but this time I'm going to live my life, and my life only."

 

"Took you long enough."

 

"Hey I tried to work things ouy at least,  but that's impossible with my parents. I see that now. "

 

"How are things with you, and Mika going?"

 

"Great, wonderful, amazing even."

 

"But…"

 

"She's hurting right now. She found some things out about Angel. So things she wanted to hide, and Angel's upset now which means so is Mika."

 

"Their that close huh."

 

"Their like the female versions of you, and me."

 

"This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with her gang relations would it?"

 

"Yeah but How'd you….."

 

"Know well I technically am her cousin, but she doesn't know it."

 

"Oh cousin….WAIT WHAT!!!!"

 

"So she hasn't told anyone huh."

 

"Hasn't told us what?"

 

"Her whole story its not my place to tell it so I won't, but  she's still the leaders adoptive daughter making her my cousin."

 

"Your uncle is apart of one of the biggest organized crime groups in Korea?"

 

"No more like he runs it, but I haven't spoken to or seen any of them in years. My dad cut ties with his brother when he started getting into life."

 

"Wait so then could she still be an operating member?"

 

"Like I said I don't have the right to tell you, but It may be better that they don't make up for Mika's safety, and Angel's. "

 

Authors point of view

 

She just lays on her bed staring at the dark ceiling.  She hasn't moved in the three days since the fight with Mika. She doesn't feel like trying to live the lie she thought she could make true. She has to let go.  Let go of everything, and everyone.  She realizes that now.  She can't have a normal life. She's a killer, and that's all she was born to be. Someone knocks at the door. Angel doesn't move just hoping they disappear.

 

"Angel I'm coming in whether you want me to ,or not."

 

"Your parents told me you haven't moved an inch in 3 days. So what are you waiting for?"

 

"What are you waiting for?" Angel throws back.

 

"Angel use your words what are you talking about."

 

"Why are you waiting to turn me in. Are you enjoying making me sit here wondering when the police are going to cart me off to some jail?

 

"Angel stop…"

 

" Or maybe you have a wire in you. Maybe your her to document the confession."

 

"Angel stop…."

 

Well GUESS WHAT I DID KILL PEOPLE IT WAS MY JOB. I'M A MURDER I ADMIT IT HAPPY."

 

"ANGEL NO JUST STOP IT!!!!"

 

Her hand connects with my face sending back into my bed. I lay there just trying to understand why she just did that. 

 

"Now I will say this once and once only. I don't care about what you did in the past. You had your reason that's all I need to know, but what I do care about is now. You are one of my best friends, and I'm sorry the Angel I know is an amazing person. Okay so you've killed some people,  that doesn't change who you really are. Who you really are is someone who without a friend is lost. Let me be that friend to guide you. You have so many people who love, and care about you now let us be there for you."

 

"I'm dangerous Mika. You could die from being associated with me."

 

"I'm don't believe that bull and neither do you. Angel just let us in I promise we won't hurt you."

 

"You know the funny thing is promises are meant to be broken, but for some reason I want to believe you."

 

"You can believe me trust me."

 

Angel  just stares at her looking for any sign that will allow her not to trust Mika but she can't find any. Mika is being completely honest.

 

"Angel please I won't hurt you just let me be there for you again. "

 

"O…OO…Okay."

 

Mika gets up, and hugs Angel tightly. 

 

"Thank you." Angel cries quietly. 

 

"That's what friends are for." Mika replies just as quietly.