Family

Did You Even Notice Me?

Chapter 11

 

Family

 

Angel

 

The moment I stepped out the front doors I wish I would have snuck out the back. Amber and Victoria are standing there along with Jin-Sang, and three other men. They all line up on either side as I walk down, and bow. I can hear the whispers as everyone is watching me.

 

"Young mistress we must return you home at once your father requested we pick you up, and bring you safely."

 

I nod to Victoria, and enter the car. When the door shuts behind me I look at the crowd. They're all talking,  whispering while looking at the car I'm in. In the middle of all them I see Tao. He looks at the car with concern, as if he knows who's car this belongs to, and who's daughter I am. He looks as if he wants to take me, and run. But he stays firmly rooted to the spot. I hear my car start up followed by the other two. Then all three cars pull off. I continue to watch Tao until he is nothing more, but another dot in a sea of faces.

 

It was an hour and a half drive from the school to our house in the suburbs. The ride was nerve wrecking so much so that I could barely focus in on my homework. When we arrived I could see Zico's car parked outside the house. The 7 of us entered. Jin-Sang slipped aback to where I was, and hugs me. I hug him back happy to see he's okay. Amber starts making weird faces at me while Victoria rolls her eyess, but still chuckles. I can feel the warmth I had been missing slowly returning as we walk to fathers study. Everyone straightens up as we enter the study, and go to their respective places.

 

"Appa!!!"

 

I run over to hug him, and he smiles brightly. It makes me happy to see my Dad after being away from him for 2 years.

 

"How is my baby girl doing?"

 

"Good but how are you doing Appa?"

 

"Fine just fine dear."

 

"Son."

 

"Dad."

 

I watch the two of them interact awkwardly. I know dad loves Zico he just has a harder time showing it to him.

 

"Now sit both of you I have something important to tell you."

 

We take seats as far away possible from each other. Father sits behind his desk looking solemn. 

 

"I'll be frank.…I'm dying. I found out two months ago I have stage 4 brain cancer. The doctor said that operation is to risky so he's given another month at best."

 

"Dad no….."

 

I can feel tears coming down my face. 

 

"There has to be something we can do dad I mean someone can help you right."

 

"I'm sorry honey…."

 

"No I don't believe you. You can't die, you promised you wouldn't let anything happen to yourself you promised me."

 

"Dad what are we going to do?" Zico ask trying to stay composed, but he's upset as well.

 

"I've set up accounts with plenty of money for both you as well as a detailed will stating who is to take over when I'm gone."

 

"Dad shouldn't it be me?" Zico ask sounding hurt.

 

"I've selected whichever one of you is the best for the job."

 

"Dad Zico's right I can't do it. He's better suited."

 

"I have decided who is best,  and you two will find out who later on. For now I want to spend time with my family."

 

I wipe my eyes,  and nod. Zico nods as well. 

 

"For now you two can unpack, and dinner will be in an hour."

 

We both leave the office closing the door quietly behind us.

 

"That damn old man dares not to make me the leader."

 

"ZICO!!! That's our father your talking about."

 

"Your father he loves you not me."

 

"Zico he loves you too, and you know it. If you would just quit being a maybe you guys could connect,  but you just won't open up to him."

 

"You know what it's your fault anyway. If you would never had come mom wouldn't have gotten in trouble, and we would be a happy family."

 

"How is her death my fault?????!!!!!"

 

"She was protecting you!!!!!!! Some men had come to find, and kill you for doing away with their boss,  but mom wouldn't give you up. So they shot her. Everything, and everyone is always for you, and never for me!!!!! Can you do me a favor, and just die already."

 

Zico storms off leaving me alone."l

 

"Ji-Hyeon was protecting me?"

 

Authors Point of View

 

Angel stands there in shock, and guilt. While she's happy to know Ji-Hyeon cared enough to protect her. At the same time the guilt of knowing she took her father's wife away, and that she's why Zico hates her is extremely unsettling. She begins running without even realizing it. Out the back doors, and into the dense trees behind the house. She keeps running though she doesn't know why. Her legs begin to cramp, and her lungs are on fire, but her feet never stop. She runs until a loose root trips her. She lays on the soft wet ground for a moment.  Trying to feel anything, but the growing guilt. It was always her fault. She was always the one who put everyone in danger. No matter how hard she tries she can't keep her past from affecting her future. She pushes herself up, and wipes her face. Dirt smear on it turning into mud as it mixes with her tears.

 

"Ji-Hyeon I'm sorry…..Zico I'm sorry….." She cries in soft whispers.

 

Footsteps begin to near her, and suddenly Jin-Sang is standing there a blanket in hand. He wraps Angel in the blanket before picking her up, and carrying her back. He takes her upstairs where Victoria meets them. Victoria takes over undressing her then bathing her. She speaks to her softly trying to calm the girl down. Finally when getting dressed for dinner Angel seems to come out of  her daze.

 

"I killed her didn't I?"

 

Victoria doesn't answer, or even look up at her.

 

"Victoria it's my fault Zico doesn't have his mother. If it wasn't for me Ji-Hyeon would still be here."

 

Victoria sighs before putting the brush down.

 

"We can't change the past Angel, but we can make our own future. If Zico can't understand his mother did what she did out of love that's his problem. Don't make it your own to try, and punish yourself. Your job is punishment enough."

 

Angel looks up at Victoria,  and smiles slightly. Though most find her cold Angel knows that she is one of the most caring people she's ever known. 

 

"All done now you look like a princess so go have a nice dinner tonight okay?"

 

Angel nods to her feeling better then she did moments ago. She hugs Victoria tightly even though she's not a touchy feely person she hugs back. Angel walks down there stairs slowly,  and hesitates entering the dining hall. She pushes those fears down, and enters the room. Zico, and her father are already seated. Kris is there as well to Angel's surprise. He looks up, and waves. She smiles slightly,  and takes a seat in between her father, and Kris. She looks at her father. One would never know he's dying by the way he holds himself. She looks to her brother who looks back at her. Suddenly it feels as if his stare burns so she bows her head. Kris looks slightly confused, and her father raises a questioning eyebrow,  but neither comment on the strange exchange. 

 

Dinner continues with laughter,  and old fond memories. When it's over Angel walks Kris to the door thanking him for coming. When the door close. Dread begins to feel her. Their father had retired and hour ago, but Zico, and Angel remain downstairs together in the parlor in silence. Its extremely awkward in the room, but they're both to stubborn to leave. Angel never looks up playing with her hair, or thumbs. While Zico watches her carefully. Even though he isn't exactly brother of the year he is at least worried a bit about how spaced out, and scared she seems. It's not like her to ever be jittery like this. Being an assassin meant she had to be calm at all times which was what she usually was. But he could see he broke something in her today. And he wasn't sure if he should be proud,  or pity her.

 

"Um…..Zico………I……goodnight." She says then scrambles out of the room. She locks her door to ensure no one will come in. She slides down the door as tears begin to fall again.

 

"What the is wrong with me?" Why couldn't I say it? Why couldn't I say sorry? Why do I cause so many pain?"

 

She sobs quietly trying not to bring attention to her room. She wonders what can make these feelings leave. What can make this guilt fade. She looks around for something anything. Then her eyes land on a bottle of Tylenol. Victoria must have left it on accident she thinks. She approaches the bottle as if it's a cobra staring her down. Her hands shakily reach for the bottle. She reads the label. A maximum of 6 pills a day to be taken within 2 hour intervals. She pulls the cap off, and stares at the white pills. She brings the bottle to her lips, and tilts her head back. 

 

"I'm sorry everyone." She thinks as the pills fall towards .

 

Mika

 

Luhan had come back to the table looking pale, and Angel never returned. He didn't speak for the rest of the day. Kai, and I were worried, but we knew that they would tell us when they were ready. So we put it to the side. Today would be my first dance practice with Kai, and honestly I'm ting bricks about it. I've never been a dancer, that was always my older sister. But now I would have to be if I didn't want to embarrass myself. Kai on the other hand is extremely excited saying it will be the best experience of my life.

 

When i walk in with him I receive a lot of stares. The girls mostly though a few boys watch me as well. I look at Kai, but he is too busy greeting the other guys. 

 

“Kai oppa!!!” a shrill voice rings out. 

 

I turn to see a small little girl running in our direction. Kai smiles widely as he picks her up twirling her around.

 

“Hello to you too Emily.”

 

She giggles before looking over at me.

 

“Kai oppa is she your girlfriend, because she’s really pretty.”

 

Someone snorts quietly behind me, but I don’t turn to see who.

 

“Yes that is as a matter of fact. Mika Emily, Emily Mika.”

 

“Mika are you, and Kai oppa going to get married, because then you have to let me be the flower girl!!!!”

 

Kai, and I both choke a little before laughing. 

 

“We’re not quite old enough for marriage yet Emily.”

 

“Emily come back here, and get into practice please.” Her teacher I assume calls.

 

She waves to both of us before running through an open door. The man shakes his head,and walks over to us.

 

“Sorry Jongin you know how she is. And you are?”

 

“Mika Lipowcan nice to meet you sir.”

 

“I’m James Emily’s father, and the owner of the studio. Nice to finally meet the girl Kai fallen so hard for.”

 

I can see him blush slightly, but he still nods to Mr.James.

 

"Well have fun practicing!!!"

 

He walks off back to the room Emily went into. Kai takes my hand pulling me gently to an open dance room. He tosses his stuff down and I follow. 

 

"So from now on we will be practicing to this song."

 

He turns his IPod on, and Love Me Right begins to play.

 

"So Along with a few others, those being Tao, Sehun, Lay, and Xuimin we are going to preform to this song as the opening act. They'll all be at practice tomorrow."

 

"Why the opening." I whine.

 

"Because we're the most skilled dancers out of this studio so we set the tempo for the night usually."

 

"But I'm not a skilled dancer."

 

"That's okay because I'll make you one."

 

"So who are the other's partners then?"

 

"Sehun is dancing with Lily from our school,  Lay is with Xiu a dancer here, Xuimin is with Gemma,  and Tao is supposed to ask Angel."

 

"Honestly that boy is hopelessly in love, but to scared to tell her."

 

"Wanna know a secret?"

 

"What?"

 

"Angel's in love with Tao so that makes two hopeless love birds."

 

"You know what this means right?"

 

"No what?"

 

"We're setting them up on a date so they can finally admit their feelings."

 

"Sounds like fun!"

 

"It will be, but for now we must get to work on the dance. We can discuss this later."

 

Kai stands then pulls me up. He begins walking me through what he's thinking of doing for the dance. He's thinking it should be a fun, and cute dance because of how upbeat the music is. Each of the pairs will have their own little solo part in the song. Then comes learning the actual steps. 

 

"Okay so one two hands on your heart then jump!" 

 

Kai catches me as I come down since he seems to sense I won't come down right.

 

"Be careful I don't want you hurt okay?"

 

I nod to him grateful he was there.

 

"Let's go a little slower now okay?"

 

I nod to him. The music begins to play from the start again. 

 

"Oh yeah! C'mon!  

take your time. 

Waenji dugeundaeneun bamiya (na na na na x 2)

So tonight

Dal kkeutkkaji dallyeogabolkka (yea yea yea yea x 2)"

 

"Okay great! Only thing is loosen up. You don't have to worry about getting things prefect.  That comes when you have fun dancing."

 

"So just have fun?"

 

"Exactly. For this next part your going to be teasing me. So this is a little more y,  but still playful."

 

Kai shows me. He signals me to come closer with his finger. Then a quick hip shake. Finally a hair flip with with a snap at Imma make it work.

 

"Okay ready now you try."

 

Just right

Sidongeul georeo eksere bareul ollyeo

Modeun geosi teukbyeolhae

Neowaneun jal eoullyeo

Mueoseul wonhadeon imma make it work (yeah)"

 

"Mika are you sure you've never danced, because your catching on pretty quick."

 

"No my older sister is the dancer, and besides this is my first time actually trying to dance."

 

He grins while looking at me obviously please. I can't help, but grin back because I finally agree with him. This Is pretty fun. 

 

Authors point of view

 

The bottle is smacked to the floor along with Angel. She looks up, and is shocked to see Zico in tears standing over her.

 

"Zico? But why? I…."

 

"You idiot! Why would you ever think that, that was a good idea? Why would you want to leave everyone behind?"

 

"I..I.." She lapses into silence. 

 

"There is no reason. There will never be a reason good enough for you to take your life."

 

"Why? Why don't you just let me die? You should hate me. I'm the reason why mom no your mom is dead."

 

"That doesn't matter. As much as it hurts as much as I hate you for it. I know my mother would have done the same for any other child she considered her own. And even though I'm jealous of you I do…I…do love you...your….still my little sister blood, or not. And God knows I'm such an sometimes, but I would never truly wish you dead. I was upset, and not thinking earlier. "

 

"Zi..co…"

 

"Look Angel I know I haven't exactly been the best big brother, but tonight I realized something. Pretty soon we're only going to have each other. If we can't learn to get along I'm afraid all dad worked for will have been for nothing.  So what do you say?"

 

They look each other in the eyes studying each other for any signs of distrust. Neither are able to find any which makes the both sigh in relief. 

 

"Okay Zico I'm trusting you."

 

Zico holds out his hand, and Angel takes it. They smile at each other and for the first time it's genuine. 

"Now a little birdy told me someone will be asking you to do something. As your new and improved big brother I want to tell you that you have to say yes no matter who it is."

 

"Okay?? But why?"

 

"All in good time for now rest, and don't try anymore stupid ."

 

He knocks her on the head lightly causing her to hiss at him playfully. As the two continue play fighting their father smiles as he watches the siblings finally getting along. He pads off to his room heart feeling lighter than earlier. His personal butler prepares him for bed. He lays down in his bed,  and for the first time in many years he is able to relax. As he slips away he smiles one last time knowing that everything will work itself out. He draws one last shaky breath before falling into deaths sweet grasp.