The Brother

Did You Even Notice Me?

Chapter 10

 

Kai

 

The following day every aspect of life seem to return to normal, except in the case of the new student. It wasn't unusual for our school to get new students it's just this student in particular was throwing some of us for a loop. Those people being Luhan, Kris, and Angel. Kris, and Luhan stared in shock while Angel seemed almost frightened of the blonde haired boy. He introduced himself as Woo JiHo, but said back in Japan where he was studying they called him Zico. Angel seem to grind her teeth at the mere mention of that name. I looked to Kris for answer, but he was trying to calm Angel down. Zico looked in Angel's direction, and smirked. She seem to appear extremely small under his gaze if that was even possible for Angel.

 

"So who would like to show Zico around today?" Our teacher asked.

 

"Ma'am can Angel show me around since she my sister. " 

 

The room goes silent, all eyes focus on Angel. 

 

"Oh come on little sis it will be fun." He smiles, but somethings slightly off about it. 

 

She nods very stiffly, and Zico runs over pulling her up out of her seat.

 

"Come on sis show me around."

 

They leave the room before the teacher can protest. I automatically raise my hand asking to go to the bathroom. She nods yes still shocked by what just happened. I try to find Angel quickly, and when I b do I quietly trail behind them as they walk. They are talking to each other at all, but Zico has still not released Angel's wrist. They make their way upstairs to the rooftop. I wait farther down the stairs until I hear the door open, and close. I head up to the landing, and crack the door.

 

"Why are you here?"

 

"Awww don't be so happy to see me sis."

 

"You hate me, and you know it so why are you here?"

 

He just stands there smirking at her. She rolls her eyes, and pushes him out of her way, but he grabs her wrist. He throws her to the grown forcefully, and Angel looks up at him in defeat.

 

"Don't think just because your fathers new play thing you can disrespect me. I was his son long before he adopted you, and guess what? I'm his own flesh, and blood while you just some street rat. Get that through your head while I'm being nice."

 

He squats down in front of her, and pinches her chin between his fingers. 

 

"You don't run things anymore I do understood?"

 

She doesn't respond so he slips his hand around her neck gripping it tightly. 

 

"I'll ask again are we clear."

 

I can see Angel struggles, but forms the word yes. He smiles shoving her down, and then kicking her in the stomach. I quickly back into the shadows, and wait until I'm sure he's gone before entering the rooftop. Angel's coughing hard as she tries to breathe normally again. I approach her slowly nor knowing if I should really be doing this right now.

 

"Angel are you okay?"

 

She looks up in shock, and freezes before speaking. 

 

"Did you see that just now?" She mumbles darkly. 

 

I nod slowly hoping I didn't upset her.

 

"Kai take my advice; forget what you just saw. It's for the best, also stay away from my brother if he tries anything let me know. He thinks he can still control me, but I'm not that same little girl he grew up with."

 

Her eyes look deadly if that's even possible. I've never seen Angel look so evil, and quite honestly it scares me. I see what D.O means by we shouldn't get close to her, but at the same time I know this isn't all to Angel. I decide to leave since it doesn't seem like Angel's getting up anytime soon.

 

"See you at lunch. " I say but my words go unoticed.

 

APOV

 

Kris glances at Luhan wondering if he knows. If he knows they've been lying for sometime, but his face is unreadable. At the same time Luhan is beginning to question all that Angel has done, and said thus far. Was this all really some elaborate lie? Is Angel still with them, putting her life in danger for what? Their love? Their affection? He glances at Kris wondering if he knows anything about this. He couldn't though Kris would never lied to him. Or would he? Luhan thinks silently to himself.

 

Mika

 

We're all sitting at the table for lunch. Something seems a bit off with Kai though. He seems deep in thought, but I'm to shy to ask what. Kris, and Luhan seem on edge as if waiting for a fight, or something to break out. Everyone else seems fine though including Angel. I nudge Angel, and she looks at me questioningly.

 

"What's wrong with these three?" I point out.

 

She sighs quietly, and quickly pulls me out of the lunchroom.

 

"Do you want the full story, or a summary?"

 

"Full story why was that even a question?"

 

"Well you know how I'm adopted right?"

 

"Yeah so?"

 

"Well those people you know to be my adoptive parents aren't really my adoptive parents. They're just acting as my parents so people don't get suspicious."

 

"Then who are your parents."

 

"The leader of my gang, and his wife, and now my stepbrother Zico's here, and Kai saw well an argument between us. Luhan I'm pretty sure definitely knows I'm still in the gang because Zico's in our class, and he called me sister."

 

"And why did you conveniently leave that out last time Angel?"

 

"Because I wasn't expecting that dickhead to show up here."

 

"Hey look who it is my little sis."

 

"Oh ." Angel mumbles to herself. 

 

She turns, and glares at him with such intensity you'd think she's trying to melt him.

 

"Oh hi brother I didn't know father allowed his dogs to roam free without a leash, or collar."

 

"Trying to act tough in front of your friend I see."

 

He side steps around her to me. He takes my hand, and kisses it. Suddenly he's slammed against the wall a knife to his throat. 

 

"Don't ing touch her."

 

"What are you gonna do if I do?" He ask smirking. 

 

"You think you can control me with these threats, but let me tell you now. I'm not the same little girl you, used to push around. I will kill if you even think of laying a hand on my friends. You don't run things when your on my turf now get the out of my face."

 

She throws him down the hallway, and he laughs.

 

"I'll make you regret this Angel, just like you regretted being adopted by father."

 

"A killer can't feel regret, but I guess you wouldn't know since your a punk who couldn't even kill his mother's murder."

 

Zico looks furious right now, and I can tell Angel struck a cord.

 

"Don't you ever ing discuss my mother you stupid orphan . At least I tried to avenge my mother. What did you do for yours nothing. In fact your working for her killer so yes I may not be a killer, but at least I have a heart to feel unlike you."

 

"It wasn't like they really cared about me anyway so they're better off dead." Angel replies coolly.

 

I watch Zico stomp off. Angel just sighs. 

 

"Angel why'd you say that he seemed really upset."

 

"I can't explain that to you, but just know it's complicated. Now come on let's get back to lunch."

 

Angel allows me to enter first then follows. Luhan staring her down. I look to her, and she looks over at Luhan full of guilt. We sit down, and Luhan is still staring. 

 

"Ask what your going to ask Luhan."

 

"Just answer me one thing." Then he pauses.

 

"Do you really think they care more about you than we do?"

 

Angel sits quietly for a moment as if pondering the question. 

 

"No I don't think they care more. But I do know they care as much as you do. I'm sorry for lying to you all this time, but please understand their my family. I love them."

 

"Well since you have them I guess you don't need me."

 

Luhan leaves slowly, but Angel reacts even slower. Before she says anything else Luhan is gone.

 

Kris reaches over to comfort her, but she shrugs it off. 

 

"I'm fine."

 

She gets up, and runs out of the lunchroom. At this point I'm at a loss for what to do. So I sit at the table with everyone else in silence. 

 

Angel

 

I run out the back doors trying to see if fresh air will help make my head spin less. In all the time I've know him Luhan has never been mad like that. But now all because of my choices in life I've lost the one person who was always there for me.

 

"Aww well look who it is my little sister's best friend. What's wrong little Bambi lost your way?"

 

I turn the corner to see Zico and his goons crowded around Luhan. Luhan steps back into the wall, but this seems to encourage Zico's behavior. 

 

"Why you so scared? No Angel to protect you now huh."

 

"Zico I will kick your if you hurt him."

 

"Oh look superwoman to save the day."

 

Zico grabs Luahn by his hair kneeing him in the stomach. I rush forward, but multiple hands slam me to the ground. They hold me down as Zico stands over me.

 

"Zico tell you little lackeys to get the off of me."

 

"You know I think I like you just the way you are. Helpless, defenseless. No body's here to save you now."

 

He pulls out out a cigarette, and lights then takes one long drag from it. He crouches over me pulling the cigarette out of his mouth, and blowing the smoke in my face. 

 

"I wonder how pretty you'd be with scars all over your face."

 

He lowers the burning end towards my face. I close my eyes waiting for it to all be over.

 

"Touch the young mistress, and I will slit your throat."

 

Everything seems to freeze, but my mind. That voice, if that voice is who I think it is then that can only mean one thing. Father is standing right there.

 

"Get off of you sister now boy."

 

I slowly open my eyes to see my father standing there with Victoria at his side. Amber is also there standing silently by his side. Luhan rushes over, and helps me up hugging me tightly. Then he releases me me allowing me to turn towards my father.

 

"Both of you in front of me now."

 

We both listen though Zico does throw me a nasty look. I close my eyes expecting to be smacked, but instead I hear Zico hit instead. My eyes pop open and I rush to block Zico from another blow.

 

"FATHER ITS MY FAULT TOO!!!! DON'T JUST PUNISH HIM!!!!!"

 

"He disobeyed by even coming here. He should have never left Japan, but he disobeyed so he deserves to be punished."

 

"Father please I was the one who made him this mad just forgive him. He only came here for a change of pace, but I upset him."

 

Father stares us down hard, before bring his hand down. Zico, and I both sigh as we stand. 

 

"Be lucky your sister has soften my heart boy. We will meet at the house later I have something to tell the both of you."

 

Then he pulls off in his sleek black Rolls Royce.

 

"Don't think I owe you a goddamn thing."

 

"Don't worry I'll never ask you for a favor anyway."