Birthday

This Year: Our Year
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"OOOOO-RDER UP!" The cook unnecessarily screeched into Haewon's ear. Haewon flinches then held her hands up to her ears in reflex. "Okay, adjussi." Haewon places three plates onto a tray and carries it to the table where three people sat. It was 5:26 p.m. on a Tuesday in March. And coincidentally it happened to be her birthday, too. Haewon didn't see the use of throwing birthday parties (anymore). Why celebrate about getting older and a year closer to death and taxes and work? But of course, it was only Haewon's mind that thought of that. Haewon is now three months into pregnancy and her symptoms have subsided. Haewon didn't feel as queasy as she did in the mornings and she didn't have to feel like punching someone anymore. It was only the cravings that left. She also has been visiting the doctor every month. "Here." The old man at a table gave her a $5 dollar tip with a crooked smile. Haewon graciously took it and thanked him too many times that it was unnecessary. The restaurant was not really busy since it's a Tuesday. Since there wasn't much to do, Haewon decided to refill all the salts and peppers. Using a sheet of paper, Haewon carefully curled it into a cone and refilled.

"Guys. Hey, hey-- GUYSSSS!" Yebin screeched to Bangtan as she yanked Taehyung's ear for making weird unhumane noises. The boys turn around one by one, all looking at Yebin. "Today's Haewon's birthday. We gotta throw her a birthday party." 

"Man," Yoongi wipes the back of his neck with a cold towel, which was drenched with his sweat. "Haewon's birthday is today? What are we gonna get her?"

"It doesn't matter." Yebin replies, waving him off. "She wouldn't accept it anyways. She's always like that. We just need to buy a cake and some candles and someone buy some takeout. We'll meet at her apartment." 

"But where's Haewon now?" Jungkook looks up.

"She's still working. She doesn't get off until six so we have to hurry!" The boys, Yebin, and Joomi huddle in and create a plan. Namjoon and Jin will get the cake and candles. Yoongi and Hoseok will get some food. And Jungkook, Joomi, Taehyung, and Yebin will decorate her apartment.

"But wait!" Jungkook barged in. Everyone looks at him. "I'll go get her a gift and pick her up!" 


​"Phewww." Haewon lets out an exageratted sigh as she slouches behind a counter. "I'm tired." she complains to the cook. The cook was in his mid 50's. He looked older and he hadn't shaved in a week. He leans on the counter as well. "Hey i'm tired too, kid." 

"How about I take your place?" She offers. "No, I think someone's here looking for you." He whispers, eyeing a boy coming in. Haewon wipes her hands as her step out of the kitchen. "Sungyeol? What are you doing here?" Sungyeol grins, happy to see her. "It's your birthday, dummy. Come on, I'll take you somewhere nice." Haewon looks back at the cook, who flashes a goofy smile and waves her off. "Okay, let me get out of this apron first." 

"So what are you planning to do after you graduate?" Sungyeol questions as he sips some coffee out of his can. Haewon shrugs, walking with him along the Han River. "I don't know. With the baby coming.... I don't know." 

Oh yeah. Sungyeol thought. The baby . He thought surely Jungkook isn't doing anything to make this situation better. Especially how he's always carefree and -

"How about you?" Haewon asks, interrupting Sungyeol's dark thoughts of Jungkook. "Hmm.. me? Well I'm going to a local college and studying classical music. I want to compose." 

"Oh, really? That's good, Yeol! I heard composing is a really good job! I heard composers make really good mo--"

"Move in with me." 

Haewon stopped in place, motionless. "W-what?" she asks. Sungyeol throws his can of coffee away as he holds both of Haewon's hands with his. "Come on, after you give birth you'll need a place large enough for the baby. I'll take role of the father. I can provide enough money and love. And you can take an online university course at home. Move in with me." Haewon was frozen, with thoughts soaring though her mind. "Sungyeol.... don't you think this is too sudden? And .... Jungkook...." 

"Jungkook is a bad person, Haewon." Sungyeol warned in a low voice. "Seonam is to not be trusted." The statement angered Haewon. "Well then I'm not to be trusted, Sungyeol." It was a bit hard to come back after that for Sungyeol. How can he find the right words to say? "Jungkook is-"

"Listen. It's our baby. Not yours. So why don't you mind your own business?" Sungyeol stood there, stari

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter