Alive

District 10: What Lovely Lips You Have, Milady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong never got the opportunity to ask Daesung about the figure fleeing from them once they were in the hallway with the door respectively closed behind the pair.

"So...how are you?" Daesung tentatively inquired.

Taken aback by the mundane yet simplistic question, Jiyong remained silent as he mulled over an accurate response, but he couldn't find one that encapsulated everything that he had been through. For reasons unbeknownst to him, the elder brother started with a light chuckle that sooned transitioned into tearful sobs.

Daesung reflexively took a step forward, concern marring his facial features. It was a common question, but he did not expect that reaction from Jiyong. Then again, what answer would be considered normal coming from Jiyong after everything that he had endured?

"The air is certainly more foul down here compared to up there, but I'm here now." The elder gave a wry grin, but the sparkle in his eyes told Daesung that his brother's humor had not died after three years.

The younger sibling took the initiative this time and embraced Jiyong for several moments. Daesung tightened his arms around Jiyong's shoulders, ectstatic that his brother had escaped his specially customized hell hole and that they could see each other again. Big brother was finally home.

"Took you long enough, you flirtatious fool."

"Pardon your impatience, Daerin."

Both quietly guffawed ath Jiyong's reference to Daesung's female alias during the time when he was dressed as a woman to escape the castle. The glow of their joyful reunion immediately faded once Han's cries floated past the door to them. The two men instantly sobered at the heartwrenching wails, which reminded them that all was still not well outside of this little moment.

Deciding to give Han an extended period of privacy with Sandy, Daesung whispered, "How did you even get out of that tower, Jiyong?"

Jiyong leaned on the opposite wall as he prepared himself to recount every detail he could recall from the time Han climbed into his room to their arrival at Delight province. In return, he asked Daesung how things fared on his end. By the end, the two brothers found themselves sitting on the floor across from each other, each in awe at the variety of events that had transpired.

Daesung couldn't get his jaw to close properly . "You've got one hell of a lady on your hands, brother." Anyone who could fashion a bow and arrow by hand and be able to swing out of tower definitely earned his respect. Especially one who could tame his dilly-dallying brother.

Jiyong scoffed but in a good-hearted manner. "Looks like we both do."

Daesung cheekily grinned. "And that's why we're related."

Han was glad that there was a chair under her, which was gratefully provided by Daesung's staff. She sank back into her seat, attempting to comprehend a new angle that had been thrown at her.

The brothers had returned after an hour of talking with each other, and Han had managed to cry out all the tears she had held back. Her face felt sticky, her eyes puffy, and her nose red raw from swiping the tears away repeatedly. Although she was ready to pounce on Daesung and interrogate him, he adamantly suggested that she and Jiyong be fed first before continuing any further. Han mind numbingly downed a glass of water and made quick work of the slices of bread and meats, while Jiyong was only halfway through his meal.

While servants discreetly brought in a change of clothing and blankets behind them, Daesung dived into his tale. He explained his childhood first before segmenting into his imprisonment. He noticed Han's body growing stiffer when he reached Sandy's part and was about to leave out the guresome details when Han protested that she had to know every single thing that had happened before her arrival.

"Now that I am placed in charge, my first task was to deal with Seowook, the guard who had injured Sandy."

Han's knuckles audibly cracked as she balled her hands into fists. "Was he punished?"

"I didn't have him executed because that would only mean that I was committing a worser crime than what he did. However, I did have Seowook exiled from the province and warned him that his barbaristic manners would cut his life short at the age of thirty-two if he didn't change his ways."

Bless this man.

Han's hazel eyes flitted to the bejeweled crown sitting on the bedside table near the baskets of medicinal herbs. It was a clean design made of gold with five protruding tips and carved diamonds attached at the top of each of them. She stood up and walked over, picking up the diadem and feeling the cold, heavy weight in her hands. 

"How you manage to take care of this castle and the people while still going out of your way to care for Sandy...I don't know how you do it." Han remarked in a low voice.

"It's not easy," Daesung admitted. "I initially refused when the council approached me with the proposition. I thought, 'How could they have the audacity to ask me of this after all that I was subjected to?'. I told them that Seunghyun could handle it as usual since he seemed to always have a knack for this stuff, but he never did recover. Ever since that day, he's been unlike himself, wandering around the castle like a ghost with this haunted look in his eyes."

Han pursed her lips in disdain. "Based off what you told me about your oldest brother, I do not like the man. How could someone like him exist?"

"He didn't have the easiest time growing up, Han." Jiyong cautioned. "He didn't get the same treatment because he didn't attain any powers. He must have believed that any doors to a successful future were closing out on him, so he latched himself to whatever route he could find to ensure that he wouldn't be forgotten by our parents or anyone really. Seunghyun just wanted to prove that he was useful and that he had a purpose."

"You and Daesung didn't have the best childhood either. Both of you were locked up because of your powers, but look at you men now." Han retorted.

"He's just been going about it all wrong." Daesung added. "He didn't have anyone to provide the right encouragement like I do with Sandy or Jiyong with you, Han. I only wish that I realized that earlier before putting the blame on him."

Rather than discussing about Seunghyun, Han brought back the conversation to how Daesung became regent. 

"Oh, yes. I kept rejecting the council's advances, but I knew that I couldn't be selfish. I'm not a child anymore but an adult who shouldn't run away from problems now. I accepted their plea on one condition, which was to always set aside a couple of hours each day for me to come up here and look after Sandy. Fortunately for me, I finished most of the work on the agenda last night so that I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter