Who You

District 10: What Lovely Lips You Have, Milady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1 Year Ago

Daesung regained consciousness just in time to see his brother ascending the steps to his throne. A muffled groan to his left alerted his attention, and he was instantly relieved to see Sandy moving as she rubbed the feelings back into her unbound wrists. Although she was bleeding from the corner of and a bruise was forming on her right cheek, he was grateful that she was still breathing. Yet, that relief promptly turned to fear as he recalled the presence of the three spirits who were fixated on her earlier. He couldn't suppress the cold shiver traveling down his spine.

He slowly scanned his eyes around him, taking note of their present situation. The once pristine silk carpeting had lost its novel luster. Ornate draperies of gold hung from the windows, drawn together to shield the sun's penetrating glare, which leant a dimmer lighting to the room. The throne that used to be at ground level was now raised several feet in height, closer to the level of the gods. They were in the central hall of his-Seunghyun's castle.

Guards were stationed at every pillar, their backs ramrod straight in their metal garment, javelins by their sides. Sheathed swords were also suspended around the circumference of their waists on the opposite side, promising those who breached proper protocol in the presence of royalty a dance with death. As if Daesung weren't worried enough, there were four soldiers standing behind him and Sandy, reminding him that any sense of safety was only an illusion.

Prince Seunghyun finally took his place upon his throne, signaling the squire at his lower left to announce his presence. "May I present, Prince-"

Sandy's furious voice interrupted the squire. "How dare you call yourself a ruler! You clearly do not deserve such a title if you treat your subjects this way!" She inclined her head towards the emaciated man next to her. "You are the most cold-blooded and heartless man I've ever encountered! If Prince Daesung were alive, he wouldn't allow this injustice to happen to anyone!"

Seunghyun held up his hand to deter the soldiers from angling their swords at Sandy's neck. "I'll take that as a compliment since what you have spoken can be taken as direct slander against me, a representative of the royal family." 

"I don't know if I should grovel before your feet for thankfulness or hurl the contents of my stomach instead." Sandy retorted. Daesung suddenly gripped her arm, silently willing her to stay quiet as he increased the pressure of his hold. He threw a darting glance to the side, indicating the omnipresent guards, and finally bowed his head towards the prince.

The prince chuckled, although the mirth tugging at the corners of his mouth didn't quite reach his almond-shaped eyes. Sandy didn't like how his gaze kept bouncing off between the two of them. Her intuition told her that things would only go downhill from here.

"This is twice in one day that I've had the pleasure of meeting you, Miss Sandy. And, you've brought a friend back with you this time. My, you certainly do love getting my attention." Seunghyun calmly remarked.

Sandy glared at the prince, opting for a silent defiance to placate Daesung.

"Guards, state your purpose for why you have brought me these two people here." Seunghyun addressed the four guards who were standing behind the pair.

The one with the bloody nose nudged his partner to speak for them. The guard removed his headpiece, revealing a bruised neck, and kneeled on his right leg. He lowered his head for respect and with the prince's acknowledgement, raised it again.

"I am called Shihyun, your lordship. My injured partner, Minsoo, and I were conducting our daily routine of patrolling the eastern keep of the castle. It was when we neared the dungeons that we heard scuffling noises. Sounds of desperate escape in a place where silence usually reigned, if I might add. We quietly sneaked in and witnessed this wench trying to help this prisoner escape. Of course, we alerted the other guards on duty, Jungwoo and Seowook, to help us stop them from the outside. With out teamwork, we managed to capture them successfully, milord." The speaker bowed his head again.

"I'm curious, Shihyun. Why is Minsoo bleeding profusely and your neck all swollen?" Seunghyun inquired.

Shihyun and Minsoo uncomfortably grunted in response to the prince's inspection.

"I assumed that there wouldn't have been any trouble with apprehending a mere girl and a half-dead man."

"I apologize, Prince Seunghyun. We did not expect to have a hellion on our hands."

"Hmm, so it seems that my guards aren't as capable as I thought they would be."

Sandy couldn't contain it any longer. How could they continue discussing about her as if she were some uncontrollable beast that needed to be tamed? Just as she parted her lips to protest against the injustice, another voice spoke instead.

"There is no need to degrade her, Pri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter