year six

a sad korean drama

Year six was when I found my love for math. We had three textbooks for math that we had to go through in class.

I finished it all in the first month, ahead of every one else and it got to the point where my teacher thought I had copied it all. He sat me down with the school counselor and gave me one of his looks.

‘Park we just wanted to talk to your about your math’s work. Do you know the rules of cheating? It’s the same as copying off someone else or making someone do your work for you. ’ I knew that look. It was the look he did when he was talking down on me again.

I looked at him blankly.

‘What do you mean’ I said uneasy

‘We know that you copied every single answer on your textbooks

‘I did that all in class. ’ I was confused

‘We haven’t even gone through half of these’ he pointed at my textbooks and showed me a page that I found easy.

‘It was easy, it wasn’t hard for me but I didn’t cheat’ I shrugged my shoulders

The two adults looked at me like I was crazy then walked outside together and were arguing about me. I heard my name here and there.

After a moment they came back in and the counselor with warm eyes told me to get my bags and go with her.

She waited for me then I followed her to a class room further along the corridor.

‘This will be your new class starting today so ill take to your new class. Ill talk to your new teacher about you and ill tell the office ladies. She ushered me in to the strange room and I was met straight away with the curious eyes. Even the teacher was getting worried when I walked in.

The room was covered with pictures and timetables in every spare space there were. There was not a single color in the room besides black and white.

My teacher looked at me then looked at my counselor. My counselor ignored her looks then quickly had a word with her then gave me a warm smile before leaving. I turned back to the classroom and found my new class stared at me like I was something that was going to bite.

"What the hell is she doing here? I thought she was dumb" I heard a boy in the far corner whisper to the girl next to him.

They had game days which was cool. And they full dressed up for it as well. I wore jeans if that was dressed up.

We had our game day shootout where we went head to head with math questions. I came from last place to first in my first time playing. Five of the class best got chocolates. I didn’t get any even though i came first. I didn’t mind. I didn’t think too much into it.

I was proud of my achievement even if it meant celebrating it by myself and I did, I went home and daydreamed about how I won and the whole class clapped for me and we all became best friends and the teacher gave me all the chocolates. What a joke that was.

I was still treated the same even though I knew I was in a smarter class. But I still finished my math’s work before anyone else did. I struggled a lot in other subjects like history and English.

My teacher said that why is my English good but on paper. Yep she swore at me like it was normal. I just looked down at my remaining shoes and took it blow by blow. Still I’ll rather have her then my old teacher.

This one was young but I could tell she was older from all that makeup I was curious to know how it all stayed on if it was that thick. She continued on her iness and I continued on looking at my shoes.

Even better the class was watching behind me. I didn’t care. I was screaming in my head that I was better then them. In math’s I better then them and ill be better then them in everything else one day.

One day ill show them. All of them.

The first boy I ever liked was in year six and his name was Pong. He was cute and ill watch him from the corner of my eye. I thought he liked me too, he was kinder then the other kids and he even smiled and said hi to me yesterday.

He said he liked girls that that play sports, well he didn’t exactly tell me I overheard him telling his friends about playing soccer with his family. One day I overcame my shyness and walked up to him. He looked up and his friends stopped and stared at me in disgust.

‘Hi’ I said smiling hoping I didn’t have anything on my teeth

‘Hi’ he said back and he looked embarrassed and ignored the quiet laughs from his friends. I thought he was going to say something else but he got his bag and moved taking his friends with him without giving me an invitation to join them.

Grief filled my insides and I sat down staring at nothing. Five minutes later a bunch of girls from my class walked past me. A brunette with green eyes called Jade walked slowly behind

‘Hey do you like Pong?’ I blinked at her twice like she wasn’t there. When she didn’t get an answer she stopped in front of me.

‘Because you know he wanted me to tell you something. ’ Hope filled inside of me

‘Does he like me too?’ I asked in surprise

‘Are you kidding me, his scared of you’ she laughed and she walked on leaving me in agony inside thinking that every single boy in the whole entire world was out of my league.

I couldn’t get the fact that some guy would be stupid enough to like me let alone think of me that way. So my first crush was a fail and my second was an epic fail. That second boy’s name was Taeyon.

Taeyon was a rich boy and I was dumb enough to think he liked me when he let me borrow a pencil from him. He told me to keep it and I cherished that pen with my entire little heart and slept with it at night.

I later found out he let me have it because he thought I had germs that he could catch so I quickly got over him within a flash.

The subject of boys affected a massive piece of my life and I still haven’t learnt the parts of dealing with different issues that rotate around boys. From time to time boys make you shed tears when it was their fault you’re crying, other times your thinking why am I even wasting my time with him.

But there is forever one thing that continues to stay unchanged. You’re the only one doing the crying after everything that happens even if you split up with him, you are still the one doing the crying.

Graduation was . Mummy came but I was too embarrassed to acknowledge the fact that she was my mum because she wasn’t dressed up like all the other mums, with their nice dresses and hair all done up nicely carrying leather handbags on their shoulders but I think people could tell because I'm the only faired skin one  in my grade.

When it was time for me to walk on stage the principal pronounced my name wrong as I collected my certificates.

Someone laughed and anther person called out freak, other then that I didn’t get applauded like the other students.

Photo time was taken with everyone huddled together and laughing. I got my photos back and I wasn’t even on it because the photographer cut me out but I didn’t care. I just burnt it and chucked it out but later I cried myself to sleep again.

I graduated from primary school with good marks and I was looking forward to going to a new school. I can finally start my life again and that might be a new beginning for me. Well i hope its a good beginning.