. Mrs. Min Across the Curtain

Nicotine

Guess who is the worst at updating like she promised! 🙋😂 - kpopidiots26 💋

 

Soohyun sat in the waiting room for 6 hours, attentively watching the door, anticipating it to swing open and for Jinhwan to stroll in smiling.

But that wasn't the case, and it was just a doctor.

They had previously escorted her out and cut off all of her connections with Jinhwan because of her impatient behavior. Seeing somebody that was with him this whole time gave her a new sense of hope. Especially since his face didn't exhibit any sorrow whatsoever.

"Kim Soohyun?"

Her eyes popped out and she choked on her own spit. It sounded like they were married, only to remember that she said that Jinhwan was her brother. "Y-Yes! Right here!" she practically shouted, raising her hand and darting towards him. She came to a halt, careful not to be thrown out by the hospital staff for pestering a doctor.

"You can see your brother now."

She breathed a sigh of relief, placing a hand over her heart to check if it was still beating. It was beating too fast. She thanked him and he nodded, but shot her a look of surprise when she bowed. Oh yeah, they were in Canada.

Jogging to the given room, a smile played on her lips while her eyebrows contradictorily creased in worry. She tried to focus on his smirk that was imprinted in the back of her mind, not the lifeless line of a mouth that sat at the bottom of his face. His face had lost all color, and his breaths were so shallow since the last time she saw him.
 
Soohyun stopped in the doorway, panting heavily as her eyes searched the room. He was in a room with somebody else; an old woman with wrinkles spanning her body, bruises splattered on her face and legs. Soohyun cringed and walked to the other side of the curtain.

Jinhwan still hadn't woken up. There were wires stringing to every inch of his body, snaking their way through his hospital gown. If it wasn't for his brilliantly angelic face, she would have felt utterly sad. his hair, she sat down next to him and kissed his nose. "Oppa." she whispered, grabbing his hand. His hand was surprisingly warm, and she could feel the blood rushing through his arm if she focused hard enough.

Nobody had told her what was wrong with him, and deep inside, she feared the worst. But seeing Jinhwan healthy again washed the doubt away, and for the first time, she realized how thankful she was that he was in her life.

"I don't want to lose you again."

The same doctor from earlier entered the room, and Soohyun turned around in the bed. "He still hasn't woken up?" he asked, and he scribbled something down on the clipboard. "Why, is that serious?" Soohyun's voice was trembling, and the doubt started to flood back in again.

"Has he been in any fights lately?" Soohyun shook her head. "No, he's been with me every day and I haven't seen any scratches at all. Seriously, is there something wrong?" The doctor gave her a weak smile and sighed, bringing the clipboard down to his side.

"We may have to run some tests again. Realistically, he should have been awake 2 hours ago. But you never know, maybe he is just gathering his energy. You should have nothing to worry about." The doctor fled the room, a few words almost inaudibly escaping his lips. "For now."

Soohyun pretended not to hear that and she focused her attention back to Jinhwan. The beeping of his heart monitor was stable and constant, and she knew that he would've made music out of this by tapping his fingers to the rhythym. Using the beeping, she collected phrases from her favorite songs to serenade him while he was still sleeping. He never heard her sing before, and she never sang in public.

"You know our love was meant to be,
The kind of love to last forever,
And I want you here with me,
From tonight until the end of time.
You should know, everywhere I go
Always on my mind, in my heart, in my soul."

The woman from across the curtain suddenly spoke into the darkness. She was Korean. "You sound like my mother. She had a beautiful voice." Her words were so fragile, and it made her seem as if her life was dangling by a thread.

"Thank you," Soohyun blushed, bowing her head in recognition although the woman couldn't see it. "You must be Soohyun." she said, and Soohyun subtly jumped in surprise. "How did you know that?"

"That boy..." the woman started, and she let out a delicate laugh. "He whispered your name for 4 hours while the nurses were tending to him."

Soohyun glanced at Jinhwan, and his eyes were open.

"Princess, nice to see you again."