. Jinhwan's Mother

Nicotine

LOL i πŸ˜‚ πŸ’‹- kpopidiots26

The next day, Jinhwan was dying to see his mother.

"What's your mom like?" Soohyun questioned, clinging to his as they stepped onto the bus.

"She's beautiful. She always says that her gray hair is old and withered, but I think it brightens her face and brings out her smile. She also..." Jinhwan rambled on, a smile smile creeping on his face as he counted the topics he was talking about on his fingers. He must've really loved his mother, and she was utterly lucky to have a son like him.

Jinhwan glanced at Soohyun, who was staring up at him adoringly. "Sorry," he chuckled, scratching the back of his head awkwardly, "I must've been talking long."

She shook her head, the grin on her face growing wider. "Kim Jinhwan, I never thought that you would have such a soft spot for your mother. You seemed like the rebellious type to sleep away from home and only come for food." she teased, poking the mole on his cheek. He hastily shook his head and laughed.

"No, never. I spent all of my time at home, considering I was helpless by myself. And she has Alzheimers, so I have to constantly remind her of the things she has to do. We need each other," he explained, but his voice trailed off and came to a halt.

"Is something wrong?" Soohyun asked, intertwining their fingers. His mouth twitched into a quick smile of assurance that everything was fine, but even he knew that she could see right past that. He sighed and let go of the ring above while the bus slowed to a stop.

"I left. One day, I decided that I wanted to study in Korea, and I packed my bags to fly here. I never even said goodbye." he whispered, looking down as he played with Soohyun's tiny fingers.

"You don't talk to her on the phone?" she said, running through the previous things he'd said about his mother. "Oh, I talk to her every day. But I never say goodbye, because I would be reminded that I wasn't here when she needed me. So I just end the calls with ' I'll see you soon' or something. I haven't talked to her in a week, though."

He wanted to change the subject, so he faced Soohyun and smiled. "I set graduation up, since we'll be missing it. Video chatting tonight." he said, and Soohyun nodded slowly, surprised at his mood change.Β 

He clasped their hands together and dragged her off of the bus, anxious to see his mother. It was a poor neighborhood, Soohyun noticed, but it seemed like she was already home. It gave off a welcoming aura, and so she had no reason to fight back when he led her through. As they took each step, the dilapidated houses sparkled and grew, becoming more beautiful as if she was raised here.

Jinhwan excitedly knocked on the door. When there was no answer, he tried again. "Mom!" he greeted loudly, hoping to see the door swing open and an elderly woman jump out to embrace him. She stared at him, and she no longer saw his usual self. He was a little boy, knocking on his door after a long day of playing in the field. dirt was smeared on his face, but he still flashed a toothy grin because he knew that on the other side of that door was a warm plate of food and a mother that loved him.

She suddenly felt jealous. It wasn't the kind that would make her wreak havoc on Jinhwan's life, but she just subtly wished that she had the same hopes that he's kept all these years.Β 

Jinhwan grabbed the doorknob, but it was locked. His eyebrows creased, but his mood immediately brightened as he reached on top of the door. He slid a spare key into his hand, and he laughed. "She still keeps it here," he whispered, smiling to himself as he inserted it into the lock and stepped inside.

"Mom!" he called, waving at Soohyun to come in. Nobody answered, and Jinhwan's face fell. Soohyun stopped in her tracks as he stood straighter and slowly stepped towards her door. "Mom." he said, reaching for the doorknob.

Soohyun's hand flew to as he opened the door, and tears brimmed her eyes as she watched in horror.

Β The next few minutes were a blur. Jinhwan was screaming, Soohyun was crying, and the phone fell from her hand once the call ended. Jinhwan grabbed his mother by the shoulders and dragged her towrds the door. Paramedics had come rushing in, covering his mother in a black body bag.

Jinhwan shed tears as two officers held him back, because he wanted to hold his mother in his arms one more time. They tried explaining everything to Soohyun, but she was in too much shock that she droned everything out.

And suddenly, her previous jealousy had turned to sorrow in a blink of an eye.