Finding You

No Quick Fix For Consciousness

 

                     Two weeks had gone by and things went on as usual for Sunggyu and Woohyun. Sunggyu continued to skip his morning classes and Woohyun continued to not give in to the night, still refusing to sleep. Neither of them decided to look for the other not even crossing each other’s minds. It was strange how someone who supposedly had such a big first impression didn’t even come as a second thought. That was until tonight. Maybe it was the full moon.

Woohyun was sitting at his desk looking out the window at the full moon. The pale light was glowing beautifully casting shadows on the ground outside. Suddenly a loud noise and roaring laughter came from the floor below, typical of a fraternity. It even surprised himself that he could manage to live in a place like this, but he handled it well. After all he did live with his best friend, who had convinced him to move in in the first place. The people who lived here weren’t bad just the things they sometimes did.

His best friend Jang Dongwoo had convinced him to move in. Make new friends he said. It will be fun he said. It wasn’t too bad Woohyun got a room to himself and no one disturbed him. He seemed to have made an impression on the head of the fraternity.

Coming back to his work at hand, he started tapping his pen on the wooden surface over and over contemplating what to write for the new anthology he was going to be featured in. A poem? Thoughts rolled through his mind. His shoulders were already stiff from being hunched over all day. He was double majoring in English and romantic languages and spent his days writing essay upon essay.

Closing his eyes for a moment he took a deep breath, leaning back in his chair stretching his limbs. A flash of color splashed behind his eyes.

Red.

Deep plum, cherries freshly picked from an orchard. Fingers and lips stained crimson, like a child begging their mother for more, emptying the basket before they would even arrive home. A face to match the color also appeared and he opened his eyes again. The face was soft yet firm, eyes sharp as ever and a childlike defiance playing across pale pink lips. Kim Sunggyu.

The image in his mind was so clear. The words began falling from his fingers and onto the paper in the most decadent phrases he had ever written. Even though the reason behind this sudden flow of genius was an annoyance, he let it go.  He was in the moment and over thinking would ruin everything.

When he was finished and the thought had passed, he looked at the paper and it was mostly lines of descriptive compliments and praises, for what he would call a one night stand. It was nothing more than that. But once it was down on paper it seemed to carry some substance, some sort of meaning. The ink was permanent and these words would be with him forever, well unless he ripped out the page and started over. Doing something like that though was against his rules. Yes, he had rules set up for himself and tearing a page out of his notebook was against everything he believed in.

He looked at the page again and put his head down on the desk top staring at the ragged edges of the paper. This was what his life was just sitting in this room writing and that was that. There was one other thing though, something that let him express himself a little more freely, but he didn’t talk about it. It was his own little secret. Since it was getting late he decided to pack up his things and call it a night before heading out.

 

It was after midnight and Sunggyu was awake as usual, he seemed to have his days and nights confused. With his pick hanging from his lips and his guitar over his lap he was strumming away into the night, some ideas for a new song. It was soft and slow, not his usual harsh angst filled attack on the strings. As he strummed he imagined the mist over the mountains and the scent of the pine trees. He could feel it deep inside, the beautiful sunrise glowing amber and gold peeking over the sea shore. A faint happiness washed over him and he hummed a random tune deep and low in his chest. He smirked to himself letting out a chuckle as his cat rubbed up against his legs.

“You like that, huh?” He smoothed the cat’s fur with his foot as it rolled onto its back to play with his toes. “You know this isn’t my usual stuff… What should I call it?” he put down his guitar and sat on the floor with the cat who just gazed up at him purring loud.

He pulled the cat into his lap petting the soft grey fur, fluffy. And of course he remembered the fluffy idiot. Where was that guy? What was he doing? Was he up late? What day is it? Too bad it isn’t Sunday. If it was he could head down to the pub and start up some casual conversation and maybe they could be friends. Sunggyu didn’t really have many friends, except his band members, and they were all sort of distant not the kind to hang out on a regular basis. Then there was his roommate, if he could call him that, it was just his weirdo guitar player who sometimes slept on his couch or in his bed.

The floor was cold and hard and his started to hurt, so did his head. He didn’t want to think too much. The song he had begun earlier was nice and new and that is where he wanted to be instead of this dark place. His apartment was on the roof of an old warehouse near the water. He had a great view of the city. The night was full of twinkling lights right outside his window.

Living in a place like this was almost an inspiration. The water on one side and the bustling city on the other, it made for some good writing material, but it was old and dank. The rain made everything wet and the place itself wasn’t in the best of shape.

If it poured for too long he could feel the moisture in the floor boards under his bare feet. Winter was much worse. The area below him was completely empty and was only ever full of frigid air making it that much colder to the touch. But he liked it here, it was nice. He was away from the major population but close enough to everything he needed.

If it was up to his mother he would be living with his parents until he got married, even after. He scoffed, standing up only to lay himself down on his unkempt bed. He twisted himself up in his sheets remembering all the nonsense his mother had tried to talk into him about staying.

He wanted to tell her that he never wanted to get married and that he didn’t need anyone to be happy, but that would have made her sad. His parents didn’t deserve to be sad. To him though, they were almost too happy and that is why he left. He felt like a burden, constantly casting a black cloud.

He was doing better now, better off alone.

He rolled onto his side and flipped on his radio, the low hum of an old blues song buzzed through the speakers. He called over his cat tapping his long fingers along the bed frame. The cat wandered over to the bed side and he picked it up tucking it under his chin as they curled up together. The song ended and a soothing voice replaced the twangy strumming of an old guitar. He liked this voice on the radio, it was calm and perfect for the night time.

After taking one last look around his room he closed his eyes and let the man from the radio lull him to sleep.

 

Morning came too soon and there were paws on his chest. Sunggyu opened his eyes. It was too bright. He pulled the blankets over his head hiding from the damned sun. It was always so intrusive. The cat didn’t appreciated being trapped under the heavy material and clawed its way out meowing when it landed on the floor.

He needed to buy curtains, but his windows were too wide and his pockets were too empty.

Meowing came again. He flung the blankets off his body and huffed as he had trouble getting up. Maybe he needed a new mattress too. He set his feet on the hardwood floor and fixed his oversized t-shirt after dragging a finger across his forehead to fix his bangs. He had slept in his jeans again. He stood up ing his pants to make himself a little more comfortable. He made a mental note to not be so lazy and wear pajamas next time.

He entered his kitchen and dug into the bag of cat food next to his refrigerator dumping a big handful into a small bowl on the floor. He pulled out a chair taking a seat at the kitchen table lighting a cigarette as he watched his cat devour everything in sight. Maybe he would go to class to day maybe not.

 

Woohyun was in the library again. He was always in there during his free time, reading or working. He would often spend time organizing the shelves which would lead him to find something new and exciting to reference for his next entry in the many writing competitions he applied to. He was currently in between classes reading some old leather bound book on Greek mythology. He had a stack of alternate books piled in front of him for research of course. One of them being the complete works of Shakespeare, a bookmark holding the place where Mercutio went on his rant. He was enjoying his quiet time, sitting by the large window basking in the sunlight.

His moment of bliss was interrupted by a pair of long legs that caught his attention when this person decided to kick his chair.

“Hey.” It was Soojung. Her long brown hair was curly today. She walked around the side of table and sat in the chair opposite of him. “You never called me.” She eyed him as she crossed her legs adjusting her skirt.

Woohyun took notice of the er she was rolling around in . He watched her lips for a moment before scanning the rest of her. Soojung’s shirt was in credibly low, exposing her chest. Even though it was a sweater it didn’t leave much to the imagination. He was staring and she knew. He knew she knew, so why would he stop. Nam Woohyun appreciated a good body. She leaned forward, squeezing her s together knowingly. He immediately looked up to her face annoyed with the deliberate action.

“I thought you wanted to look.” She spoke with the er in hollowing out her cheeks before she gave it a and gave him a look. She pulled it from her bubblegum pink lips with a pop.

Unfortunately, Woohyun was not interested.

“Hmm,” He paused. He closed his book for a moment keeping his finger on the page as a marker. “You really are pretty.” It wasn’t a lie. She was beautiful. He just never had an interest in another person like that. He didn’t really date. People were just pretty but usually too dangerous for his liking.

“I know.” Soojung kept eye contact. She was sure she had read somewhere that it was the best way to seduce your prey. She her lips before rolling her tongue over the slowly disappearing hard candy. “So are you going to take me out? I mean, if you like what you see.”

Woohyun opened his mouth to speak but let out a deep sigh instead. He pressed his lips together before regaining his thought. “I’m busy. I am always busy and I am not looking for anything.” He opened his book and returned to where he left off hoping that would deter her.

“Neither am I. I just want to get to know you, Nam.” She stood walking back over to his side again. Feeling brave she stood behind him wrapping her arms around his neck. “I will be at the Milky Way diner on Saturday. You can buy me coffee and take me home. Just once, that’s all I’m asking.” She kissed the side of his head and left him.

Woohyun hadn’t moved since she put her hands on him. The feeling of being embraced was something that had left him long ago along with all of his memories. It was never a good thing. But from her he didn’t feel anything bad. It was almost as if he was feeling hopeful? Saturday was far away and he was busy, but maybe he would meet her. He decided to at least think about it.

 

Sunggyu was finished with his classes for the day and decided to visit his English professor. She was sitting at her desk in the large empty class room. She didn’t hear him come in while she was too focused on the stack of papers in front of her. He sat on the corner of her desk and just watched for a moment.

“Excuse- Oh, Sunggyu. How did I get so lucky to be graced with your presence?” She laughed standing up as she pushed him off.

“Here.” He handed her his essay. He could easily just email it to her since she didn’t require him to come into class, but he liked the feeling of paper in his hands.

“Thank you. Maybe my TA is still around and I can get him to pick this up.” She stuck his paper on top of the stack.

He pouted. He really wanted her to grade his paper not some lame up goody two-shoes to judge him on his grammar and spelling. She turned away from him to organize her belongings and he took the opportunity to hug her from behind. Her frame was comforting to him. The softness of a woman in his embrace, it was something he missed.

She shrugged away from him. “You know you can’t be like that.”

“But I just want a hug.” He pouted again, glaring and stomping his feet.

“When are you going to grow up?” She smiled and poked him in the forehead. “Kim Sunggyu, forever a baby.”

“Speaking of babies, where are they? It’s after three.” He checked the time on his phone. He was supposed to be giving lessons to her children today.

She had two boys, Matt and Mark. The younger one wasn’t really into playing guitar much he mostly just liked to listen and play with the instruments in the band room. Matt however, he was good and a fast learner. He picked up on everything Sunggyu had to teach him, some kind of prodigy. Sunggyu didn’t like to admit it but the kid would probably be able to give him lessons someday.

“They should be here soon.” She spoke through her teeth as she was holding a hair tie with . Sunggyu watched while she pulled her mahogany hair into a tight bun on the top of her head, her slim fingers twisting it around. His eyes followed the whispy hairs down the nape of her neck to the smooth skin exposed above her collar.

She was attractive, but she was married. None of that really mattered though because in actuality he wasn’t even interested. She was just comforting, and a body. Just something he could hold on to. Something he could place his disregarded feelings into.

The kids arrived running in to the room voices echoing in the emptiness. He couldn’t help but smile at all of their energy, bouncing off the walls, so bright like they contained the radiance of the entire sun. He listened while they told their mother about their day and she tried to hurry them along and out so she could finish her work. Sunggyu was of no help when he started to go along with their little game.

“Yeah mom, can we please have some money for snacks. There was nothing good at school today and I’m soooooo hungry.”

“Me too. Me too! Mom!” He smirked at the look on her face. It was that oh-please-get-over-yourself face that he seemed to bring out in every woman he encountered.

“No, ask Sunggyu since he’s so nice. And as for you,” She pointed at Sunggyu who pointed at himself pretending to be shocked at her actions. “Yes you. It’s Mrs. DuBois. You got that? Maybe I should make attendance mandatory.” She gave him mom eyes and he was cowering in fear.

“Anything but that!” He was about to have a temper tantrum again but the kids had already started to pull him out of the room with the promise of snacks. “Oh Mrs. Dubois, do you know a Woohyun?”

She gave him an odd look. “Nam Woohyun?” She started to laugh.

“What’s so funny? You know him?” He was pouting again. He hated when people laughed at him.

“Kim Sunggyu, I swear if you do not come to my class tomorrow, it’s an automatic F for the semester. Have fun with the kids.” And with that she pushed them all out the door.

Sunggyu was confused but brushed it off turning his attention to the kids who were busy chatting him up. He knew that she was serious though. Tomorrow would be the first time that he would make it to his early morning class. He shook his head already dreading it and chased the kids down the hall.

Woohyun was done in the library and headed to his next class when he heard music. He always heard music though so it wasn’t anything special. He would walk past the band room every day on the way to his romantic languages class and hear someone in there messing around with guitars and amps, sometimes there would even be drums, but none of it ever really sounded in tune. Just someone screwing around with instruments, but today was different. The melody was pleasing; he wanted to hear more so he walked in the direction of the beautiful sound. As he got closer he could hear voices, children goofing around and someone older, maybe their instructor. Why were there children in the building? Maybe a music instructor rented the room to give lessons? It wasn’t his business anyway. He moved closer standing outside the door but not looking in. He didn’t want to disrupt. Then he heard it.

 

The voice that wrecked his soul. There was no mistaking that red haired fool that haunted his mind. The person he wanted nothing and everything to do with.

So, it really was him in the hall a week ago. Woohyun clutched his chest and took a deep breath trying to avoid what he was feeling. Since he was in the habit of trying new things maybe he would give this guy a chance too, maybe they could be friends if he explained himself. He settled his mind and straightened up telling himself that everything was just a coincidence. He walked to class more excited than usual.

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________

an: super busy super stressed but CHAPTER 2 DONE!!!!! 

BAM

anywayyyyy hope you guys liked and had a happy new year!!

more woogyu to come!!

xoxoxox Thank you for reading and subscribing!!