Through the Woods

No Quick Fix For Consciousness

 

              Woohyun wasn’t sure how it happened but there he was laying in Sunggyu’s bed. The sun was up again and it seemed to be early morning, if the light coming in through the window was anything to go by. He was thoroughly wrapped up in the down comforter on Sunggyu’s bed. He to his side to face the radiating heat, only seeing a tuft of red hair sticking out from under the blankets. He wasn’t even sure which direction Sunggyu was facing until he pulled the blanket down a little.

The red head was sound asleep, breathing lightly. His face turned in the direction of Woohyun as he lay flat on his stomach, he really was beautiful. From the bridge of his nose down to the curve of his lips, arched in a cupids bow. Woohyun wanted to reach out and touch him but he was hesitant. Even though they did these kinds of things it didn’t mean that he could just touch Sunggyu freely, whenever he wanted to.

When the brunet stuck a hand out from under the blanket he quickly pulled it back and moved closer towards the warm body instinctively. It was cold. He felt skin against his own and then hands move to wrap around his body. Sunggyu was asleep, but still reached out for him. Woohyun went stiff, back to his usual routine of wanting to avoid human contact, staying flat on his back as Sunggyu pressed up against his side. Their position causing Woohyun’s hair to ruffle every time the red head breathed against his neck. Feeling warm again Woohyun drifted back to sleep.

The next time he opened his eyes, was due to the sound of loud banging. The warm hands removed themselves from his body and he watched as Sunggyu slipped away, to put on pants and answer the door. It was Myungsoo. Woohyun understood that they were roommates of some sort but he could also feel those eyes on his back anytime the black haired boy was around. He turned to face way from the door when he heard some harsh whispers and what sounded like sopping wet footsteps pad over to the bathroom. The cat who was curled up at the foot of the bed decided to join Woohyun under the covers, laying in the warm spot Sunggyu had left behind.

Sunggyu had let Myungsoo in for the time being only to get dry and find new clothes. He was never sure where he would disappear to so often, but he always came back. Sunggyu started a pot of coffee. After a quick hot shower Myungsoo joined him at the kitchen table, just as the coffee finished brewing.

“So, you guys are a thing now…” Myungsoo spoke quietly looking toward the lump under the covers before returning his eyes to the creamy clouds still swirling in his glass. Sunggyu always made the perfect cup of coffee, exactly how Myungsoo liked it. He smiled tapping his fingers on the edge before taking a sip. Perfect.

“A thing, I guess you could call it that. Although I have no idea what that is.” Sunggyu dug into his pants pocket looking for his cigarettes. The box was empty. He threw it on the table sitting down with a sigh, turning his attention to Woohyun.

“Wow.” Myungsoo laughed as he judged Sunggyu’s expressions. He scratched the back of his head and raised an eyebrow with a smirk. “You, you really like him a lot, huh?”

“Shut up and stop laughing at me.” Sunggyu narrowed his eyes but kept a grin on his face. He tried to hide it taking a sip of his coffee, black. He was easy to please, well, when it came to coffee.

The conversation ended there and Myungsoo took his leave after the coffee was gone. He offered Sunggyu a half-empty pack of cigarettes to which he declined. Myungsoo just nodded in response even though that was very unlike Sunggyu to give up a cigarette let alone half a pack. He shrugged and walked out the door looking over his shoulder one last time from one to the other, and then he was gone.

Sunggyu kept himself busy in the kitchen scrounging up anything he could find to make breakfast. His choices were an empty box of cereal or freezer burned French toast sticks. Thinking that would not work out as a proper meal he decided to head out and grab food. He does not cook, and ramen certainly doesn’t count.

Dressing himself warmly, he watched Woohyun moment knowing that sleep was rare for the both of them and figured that he would let him sleep. He headed out into the freezing weather.

Sunggyu returned with a brown bag full of sweets and another with his favorite fruits. He set the bags on the table and turned the coffee back on, it was time to wake Woohyun.

 He sat at the edge of the bed and pet the cat that was sleeping soundly in Woohyun’s arms. A pleasant smile spread across his face at the sight. Letting his hands wander a bit, they traveled up Woohyun’s arm, just fingertips gazing over his skin. Soon the brunet began to stir.

Quietly taking a deep breath and hugging the fluffy cat to his chest, he opened his eyes slowly. Woohyun couldn’t help but smile brightly up at the face looking down at him filling him with warmth and happiness.

“Hey, I got breakfast… well lunch.” Sunggyu stood immediately turning away from Woohyun who for some unknown reason was making him blush. Maybe it was because he couldn’t stop replaying the previous night over and over in his head.

“Lunch?” Woohyun ran a hand through his hair and to his back. The sky still looked the same to him. “What time is it?”

“It’s almost three.” Sunggyu took his jacket off throwing it over a chair.

“What do you mean three?! In the afternoon?” Woohyun sat up quickly throwing the covers back. He had forgotten he was and in the same moment Sunggyu turned around. Woohyun was exposed and needed to hide himself, first instinct was to throw a pillow at Sunggyu’s head.

Sunggyu stopped in his tracks and looked Woohyun directly in the eye.

“This is how you’re going to treat me after last night.” Sunggyu scoffed and rolled his eyes heading back into the kitchen. “I even bought you food.”

“I just- pants I need my pants.” Woohyun looked over the edge of the bed, but they weren’t nearly close enough for him to be able to grab them.

Sunggyu had his back to Woohyun laughing to himself about the entire situation. How did this even happen? One minute you are best friends and the next your so-called best friend is in your bed . Hilarious.

Woohyun climbed off the bed taking the blankets and sheets with him tip toing across the room. The floor was cold and maybe the idea of staying bundled up was much warmer. He gathered up his clothing slipping back into them, only forgoing underwear because he couldn’t find them. He never understood how it happened in movies but here he was, boxer-less. Dragging the comforter with him and scooping the cat up into his arms he trudged into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table.

“I didn’t know what you liked so I got whatever.” Sunggyu nodded towards the bags on the table, making two more cups of coffee for himself and Woohyun.

Woohyun dug into the first bag. There were fresh strawberries and bananas. He took one for himself and set a basket of strawberries in the middle of the table.

“I didn’t know you ate food that didn’t come out of a package.” Woohyun made a snarky comment before reaching into the other bag. To his surprise it was his favorite, a whole bag of chocolate croissants.

Taking one out he bit into it immediately. It was the best he had ever tasted.

“I hope those are good, the bakery I got them from is supposed to be the best in the city.” Sunggyu sat across from Woohyun and set their coffee’s down, digging into the strawberries first.

“This is amazing.” Woohyun didn’t want to admit that they were his favorite pastries, just yet. He didn’t want to give everything up about himself.

“They better be. They were expensive.” Sunggyu watched Woohyun as his eyes lit up with every bite, this kid. “You better leave me one.”

After Woohyun had his fill of delicious pastries and coffee, he had no idea what was supposed to come next. Does he stay or go? He watched Sunggyu’s mouth moved as he spoke lost in his own universe, not even sure what he was saying. He could stay here forever but there was a reality he had to return to. Work, books and friends were all waiting for him outside of this happy little bubble of warmth. He didn’t want to go but if he did not he would soon be lost and so would the future. What ever that held.

Sunggyu was like the sun and Woohyun was pulled to revolve around him, he could swear that is wasn’t even his own decision to do so. It just happened.

He remained a while longer slowly collecting his things as he watched Sunggyu putter around the apartment, cleaning and such. Soon the sun went down and he wasn’t sure he could make it another day. He had already fallen and if they wound up back in bed, he would most definitely not be able to get up. Life as he knew it would end and he was not quite ready for that yet.

As Sunggyu lit his candles Woohyun tried to find the words to say good bye, but after the past day or so how do you just walk away. Woohyun really wanted to thank the red head but that was cheesy.

“I have to get going now.” Woohyun looked at his nonexistent watch on his arm and mentally face palmed. “You know school and work and stuff.” He swallowed hard, thinking about what came next. Do they kiss good bye? No not yet. It’s much too soon. “So, I will, um, see you around I guess.” He threw his bag over his shoulder and walked towards the door.

Next thing Woohyun knew there was a hand on his wrist and he was spun into a tight hug. Sunggyu was holding him tightly to his chest with his free hand in that soft fluffy hair he loved so much.

“Thank you.” Sunggyu spoke so quiet he wasn’t even sure the words left his lips.

Woohyun stayed still unable to process. It was like Kim Sunggyu was in his head. He didn’t move, just keeping his arms down , pressed to his sides.

Sunggyu wasn’t even sure of why he was thanking Woohyun but he knew that he just had to. Maybe it was because with him there things just made sense, if any that was definitely a good enough reason to thank someone. He released Woohyun from his grasp and walked with him to the door. He didn’t want him to leave, but he would never think of holding him back.

Woohyun left.

Sunggyu climbed back into bed curling up in the Woohyun scented blankets breathing it all in. Things were moving quickly at this point but he didn’t mind. The faster he could be with Woohyun the better.

 

As soon as Woohyun returned home he buried himself in studying, writing and working. He spent time catching up with his friends and returning to a certain normality. Over the next few days he began to realize that Sunggyu was like a dream, when they were not together he almost didn’t exist, besides his threatening text messages, which seemed to be a new quality Sunggyu had gained. It was very endearing to have Sunggyu complaining about the distance and whining in text messages full of empty threats.

Sunggyu of course kept up with work and school as well. His nights at the diner were boring and with finals coming up the college town had gone dead. ‘More like a ghost town.’ He laughed at his own joke. He sat behind the counter with his coffee and books that he never read. Instead, he used them as a shield. The tall intimidating stack kept most people away in fear that they would disturb his precious study time, although he was at work and he was supposed to be serving people.

Texting Woohyun had become his new past time. The responses he received we not ever what he expected and it made him think. What exactly was this relationship? They were friends, friends who just really like each other, and do things. Things, very grown up things. Even though they continued to speak on a daily basis neither of them mentioned anything about it. The feeling of wanting to do it again, and again was definitely still there, for Sunggyu at least. He had no idea what was going on in Woohyun’s head, that kid was the same as ever.

“What’s with the face? You are bright red.” Myungsoo sat on the opposite of the counter peering over the stack of books.

“What?” Sunggyu held his hands to his face, he could feel the blush. He pouted. He really needed Woohyun, or more so he needed to get these thoughts out of his head. When they weren’t together everything felt so one sided, especially since they weren’t official. Sunggyu cringed at the thoughts in his head.

“I am not even going to ask. Can I get a cup of coffee kind sir?” Myungsoo smiled and tilted his head cutely.

“Why are you even here?” Sunggyu rolled his eyes but turned around to get some coffee any way.

“Why are you staking your books in a fort shape like a five year old?” Myungsoo stuck his hand through the opening at the front assuming it was Sunggyu’s look out.

“Ah, shut up. Don’t you have anything better to do?” Sunggyu sat back down and moved the stack of books out of the way to open up the gap between them.

“At the moment, no.” Myungsoo blew on his coffee and looked up at Sunggyu waiting for his cream and sugar. “Can you?” Myungsoo smiled that Cheshire grin and of course Sunggyu easily caved.

He looked on as Sunggyu stirred in the perfect amount of cream and sugar. His face close enough to feel the heat rising up from the mug. Then there was the sound of vibrating and Sunggyu was already abandoning the coffee to respond to the new message he just received. Myungsoo sat back with an annoyed expression and took a sip of the steaming liquid. It was still too hot and he burned his tongue. ‘Hot, hot, hot.’ And even as he said the words, flailing around Sunggyu still paid him no attention.

“Hot!” He yelled once and Sunggyu turned his gaze in Myungsoo’s direction.

“Do you have to be so loud?” Sunggyu went back to texting.

“Maybe I should sue… I bet that’s Woohyun. Is it?” but, Myungsoo  wasn’t speaking loud enough for Sunggyu to hear anymore. He rest his chin on the counter top and watched as the steam rose up out of the cup. He didn’t really want to know anyway.

Myungsoo hung around until the end of Sunggyu’s shift, mostly sitting in silence rotating between cups of water and coffee.

“Are you coming home?” Sunggyu was adjusting his jacket as he followed Myungsoo out of the building.

“Nope.” Myungsoo looked up at the sky the sun was starting to come up but the moon and the stars were still there, shining through the light blanket of clouds.

They went their separate ways. Sunggyu went home and threw himself in bed only he didn’t sleep. He spent the whole night thinking about what Woohyun could possibly be doing with out him. He wanted to know every thing.

Woohyun was doing the exact same. After leaving the radio station he went home at dawn only to lay in bed a stare at the ceiling. Maybe Sunggyu was awake. He sent a text.

‘You up?’

‘no’

‘Liar.’

‘why do you bother with punctuation’

‘What are you doing?’

‘nothing’

‘Wanna hang out tomorrow?’

‘you mean today’

‘Whatever’

‘suuuure’

Sunggyu waited for a response, but soon drifted off into sleep.

Even though only a few hours had passed Sunggyu felt well rested when the sunlight woke him from his slumber. He had enough waiting around and decided to do something about this situation that they were in. He didn’t want anything that Woohyun didn’t want, but he felt like it was time to at least talk about it. The kid was such a tease in text messages it all had to mean something.

It was Saturday so that meant free time for Woohyun. Knowing he was going to be spending the day with Sunggyu he took it pretty easy. He ate breakfast with Sungyeol and Dongwoo in the kitchen and watched cartoons with them until he got a message from Sunggyu saying he was on his way.

Woohyun hopped in the shower, his nerves were a wreck. He didn’t know what was going to happen today but it was the first time seeing each other since they did those things. He couldn’t bring himself to say it out loud. They had . He choked. Neither of them mentioned it since. It was almost as if It didn’t happen.

Woohyun got ready and waited for what seemed like eternity. Finally he got the text he had been waiting for, Sunggyu had arrived. Running down the stairs with his coat and scarf in hand he called out to his frat mates and headed out the door.

Stepping outside it was a brisk cool day but the sun was shining brightly. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground but it was already starting to melt, not too bad for the last day of November.

Sunggyu was just getting off of his motorcycle when he spotted Woohyun walking down the long driveway. Woohyun’s eyes lit up as he saw Sunggyu taking his helmet off under the bright sun. It was like something out of a movie.

“A motorcycle? You have got to be kidding me? Did you just buy this or something? There is no way… are you trying to live up to a stupid bad boy image?” Woohyun burst out laughing. He had to admit Sunggyu looked great but it was all so cliché. The motorcycle, leather jacket, everything.

“No.” Sunggyu replied proudly. “This was my grandfathers.” He pat the bike and started to dig through the side compartment.

“Wow. So you never even told me you had this.” Woohyun looked annoyed.

“It just never came up.”

“Wait, is that how you were hurt that one time?” Actually concerned Woohyun stepped closer to Sunggyu as if there was still some residual damage left that he could fix.

“Anyway,” Sunggyu leaned away from Woohyun holding out a second leather jacket and a helmet. “Here, put these on.”

Woohyun wasn’t usually distracted that easily, but he did think it would be kind of cool to wear a leather jacket and ride a motorcycle. He took the jacket happily and put it on over the light jacket and scarf he was already wearing. When he tired to put on the helmet it was a bit more difficult then he imagined.

“Help.” He stood there with the helmet half on his head. Maybe it really was too tight.

“You are such a nerd.” Sunggyu fit the helmet on Woohyun and adjusted his scarf tucking it into his jacket before zipping him up. “Ever been on a bike before?”

Woohyun shook his head no and Sunggyu straddled  his motorcycle with a smirk. He liked that he was giving Woohyun all of these firsts.

Woohyun climbed on behind him and Sunggyu started the engine.

“Now hold on tight and don’t let go.” Woohyun gripped Sunggyu as tightly as he could and then they were off.

Their long drive took them out of the city and into the mountains towards the forest. Sunggyu wanted to show something to Woohyun. He wasn’t even sure if it was something new or anything that would interest the kid at all, but this is where he needed to go.

Along winding roads and through the lush green of the forest the air was clean and fresh. The roads were surprisingly empty, but then again who would be out here at this time of year.

Woohyun watched as the sights flew by, birds swooping down along the horizon. When they entered the forest there was nothing ahead except more pavement and trees, around every bend. It was beautiful.

They finally came to a stop near a dirt path. It wasn’t big enough for a car and you definitely couldn’t get a bike up there. Cutting the engine Woohyun was finally allowed to loosen his grasp. He hadn’t realized he was holding on that tight. His fingers were cramping.

“Well here we are.” Sunggyu took Woohyun’s helmet off then his own.

There was a chill and Woohyun could see his own breath but it really wasn’t that cold. The green of the forest seemed to be glowing where the sun was peeking through the canopy. They left the bike behind and walked through the forest along the path. Woohyun could hear a stream and wanted to follow it but stayed near Sunggyu, they seemed to be heading in that direction anyway.

They walked in silence just taking in the sights around them.

At the end of the path was building that was long abandoned. Less of a building and more a pile of rubble, it still had some shape held together by roots and moss. By the look of it it may have once been an old cathedral. Woohyun imagined when it was thriving and full of people with stained glass windows set deep in the forest. It was just as beautiful now taken over by nature as it must have been then.

They came to a small wooden bridge also green with moss. The stream that Woohyun had heard earlier cut right in front of the building and was small enough to jump over and land safely on two feet but the bridge was nice. Of course Sunggyu being Sunggyu he just hopped right across skipping the bridge all together.

Woohyun walked over the small wooden bridge not worried about keeping up with Sunggyu who had already reached the building. As he took a step off the bridge he slid on the wet moss and landed right on his in the dirt.

“.” He stood wiping himself down.

“Are you okay?” Sunggyu was by his side in an instant, helping Woohyun clean himself off. “You shouldn’t have walked across the bridge. What if it was broken, or just old?” Sunggyu shook his head taking Woohyun’s hand in his own. “You could have been hurt.” He wiped the dirt from his hands and blew on his palm before locking their fingers keeping them together holding hands as they continued walking along the way.

Woohyun was nervous and hoped that it didn’t show. He wasn’t one to get sweaty palms but anything was possible when Sunggyu was touching him. Could the red head tell that he was shaking like a leaf, and it had nothing to do with the weather.

Walking towards the building Sunggyu let go for a moment and Woohyun took of to examine the building while Sunggyu stood at what would have been some sort of entrance no less then a hundred years ago. He kept his hands in his pockets for warmth and just watched Woohyun with a smile.

As it turned out Woohyun had never been here before none the less any place that looked like this. He wondered how Sunggyu managed to find anything like it. Something taken from a novel. The areas where the light broke through the leaves was warm and Woohyun moved from one warm spot to another. He ran his finger over the old stone making his way around the building finding a stairway that lead to nowhere. He looked back at Sunggyu for approval but decided to climb up anyway. He stood at the top of the broken stair case and looked around, down at Sunggyu. He was such a contrast, red hair, pale skin and black leather, all against this green.

Sunggyu sat on a low wall at the edge of the rubble. He groaned when he reached for his cigarettes and they weren’t there. He didn’t really need one but he just wanted to keep his hands busy. At the same time he could feel his nerves getting to him. He was about to get serious and he didn’t usually do serious.

“This place is great.” Woohyun jumped down and noticed Sunggyu sitting quietly. “How did you find this?” He took a seat next to the pondering bad boy prince of the forest. Woohyun wanted to laugh because give him some pointy elf ears and leaves for clothes, Sunggyu would fit right in.

“Ah, I used to come here all the time when I was a kid.” Sunggyu rubbed the back of his neck. “I didn’t know if you’ve ever been here before but I took a chance.”

“It’s great.” Woohyun put his arm around Sunggyu’s shoulders, “Thanks.” He wished he could say it better especially for someone who was so good with words, but Sunggyu did things to him.

“I was wondering….” Sunggyu was hesitant because the last thing he wanted to do was ruin tings between them. He kept his eyes on the ground. “What are we?”

Woohyun was quiet for a long time and the only thing that could be heard was the sound of the babbling stream.

“We don’t have to put a title on it or anything but I was just wondering how you felt… and stuff.” Sunggyu continued, rambling. “I mean I guess I want whatever you want. Even if you don’t want anything, or if you do. I just- I really don’t know where to go from here and its hilarious because I have never in my life done this before and I’m older then you.” Sunggyu started to laugh. He sounded crazy. He couldn’t imagine what Woohyun was thinking.

“What?” Woohyun paused. He could go on about his feelings and give up everything right now ad admit how deep his emotions were for this man but he still wasn’t ready. “You mean you’ve never dated anyone before?” Woohyun nudged Sunggyu playfully. “Why do you have to make everything so serious?”

“Date. Are we dating? Is that what we are doing?” Sunggyu looked at Woohyun, really looked at him, searching his eyes.

“Yeah, yes. We are.” Woohyun was more nervous then he had ever been before and at the same time he wanted to jump up and scream to the world that Kim Sunggyu was his.

“So, we are dating.” Sunggyu kept repeating the words. “So what do we do now?”

“Nothing, stay the same. We are good like this right?” Woohyun understood what Sunggyu meant. Nothing was going to change between them now that they had an official title. He wouldn’t want anything to change at all. This was the best he felt in years.

“You’re like my best friend you, know that?” Sunggyu swallowed the words that obviously had underlying meaning.

“And you’re my boyfriend.” Woohyun laughed. “I said it. Wow, okay that just happened.”

“Oh god. I don’t know if I can handle this just yet.” Sunggyu buried his face in Woohyun’s neck.

“BOYFRIEND!” Woohyun shouted into the forest and Sunggyu tried to hide himself even more practically under Woohyun’s clothes. “Come on its not that bad.”

“Not that bad?!” Sunggyu groaned as he pulled away but when he did he was met with Woohyun’s blinding smile and it was all over. “It’s really not that bad.”

Their eyes met and hands found each other, fingers entwined. The sat like that for a moment taking it all in. They couldn’t have been in a better place. Suddenly everything was warm. The sun moved over head and they were sitting in a beam of light, making everything glow. The air around them was moist and it began to mist. Sunggyu leaned forward and Woohyun followed. They came together in a kiss. Light and as gentle at the mist bushing their cheeks.

In that moment everything was beautiful. The rain fell and the sun still shone behind them, surrounded by the rustling trees and now a rainbow formed off in the distance. When they broke the kiss all was right in the universe and there was only one word on the tips of their tongues.

The ride home was peaceful and Sunggyu left Woohyun at the door with another sweet kiss. Woohyun kept the jacket Sunggyu had given him, he wanted to live in it. Getting ready for bed, Woohyun finally slipped under the covers and at the same time his phone went off. It was a text from Sunggyu.

There was along paragraph explaining all the reasons Sunggyu liked him filled in with some very explicit things Sunggyu assumed they would be doing in the future. Woohyun had to laugh. Then the last sentence shook him to the core.

I think… I love you’

He read it over and over, word for word, letter by letter, until it finally sank in.

 

 

 

 

 

‘I love you too’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

an: helloooooooo. I hope everyine is well and wooooo INFINITE 5 YEAR ANIVERSARY!!!!!! SO EXCITING.Well I am starting to get back on track. sorry for making you guys wait again OTL. Hope you like the chapter. THANK YOU FOR READING AND SUBSCRIBING!!! <3

 

 

ps idk why this is in italics