We Can't Fight This

No Quick Fix For Consciousness

 

Their antics were fun and funny. It was always a rush when they were together these days. They had given up being discrete and Woohyun had definitely come out of his shell. Anxiety long forgotten, nightmares faded into real life fairytales. They were most certainly in love. This came at a certain price, they fought. Over the dumbest things. With Woohyun finally having a mind of his own, growing out of that puppy phase he could stand on his own two feet. He was making decisions and words never seemed to fail him. No longer necessary to put things down on paper to explain his mind and exhaust his feelings he said them out loud and too your face.

This had Sunggyu reeling.

All couples fight, don’t they? Woohyun had a smirk on his face as he riled up his fiery boyfriend. It was a game now. He would act like an and Sunggyu would be rough with him. He was conflicted about liking things like this. Did his horrific child hood make him this way? He shrugged it off not wanting to think about it and continued his bratty routine. The positive is that this kept Sunggyu from going out too much. Sunggyu was concerned about woohyun these days, needing to keep an eye on him and a firm grip to “keep him in line”.

While they were at the frat house though it was rare, Hoya had to witness this. He thought they were disgusting. He hated how Sunggyu was so heavy handed with Woohyun. His protective instinct was building up inside and he would not stop himself if it came to the point where he would have to punch Sunggyu out to protect Woohyun. The fact that he even allowed Sunggyu in the house to begin with was killing him, he just couldn’t say no to Woohyun.

What was this feeling? Why did he feel it was his responsibility to care, like an older brother? Was he jealous? Hoya shook his head as he walked by their stupidity in the living room. “This is a shared space!” He half yelled at them before slamming the door to his office.

Woohyun and Sunggyu just laughed and went back to fondling each other and bickering annoyingly.

They sun had set, and they had settled on the couch in the living room, warm and cozy under some blankets. Sunggyu nudged Woohyun with his nose and squeezed him tight. “Hey-” There was a hesitant pause as the tv droned on in the background.

“Yeah?”

“You should meet my mom. She would like you… and my dad.”

“You think so?” Woohyun was honestly asking but of course he made it a joke. “Because I mean who doesn’t.” He snorted to cover up a hint of nerves. This would be big. A first real relationship, meeting parents, what would the future hold for them now? “But, yeah of course I would love to.” The smile on his face was obvious even in his voice.

Sunggyu was smiling now too, his heart wells up and he is flooded with that warm fuzzy feeling. He hugged woohyun to his chest again and snuggled into the soft hairs on his head. “I love your stupid fluffy hair.” He laughs and runs his hands over woohyun soothingly. “Thanksgiving dinner then. I will tell my mom you’re coming.”

The happiness radiated from them and they slipped into a content state falling fast asleep. In the morning Sunggyu woke woohyun before he had to leave for work and then a few hours later Woohyun did the same. He moved his heavy bones from the couch and up the creaking wooden stairs to the bathroom.

The path was blocked. Hoya stood there arms stretch out from wall to wall in the narrow hallway. He had just woken up too. Woohyun rubbed his eyes and tried to simply walk past but Howon wasn’t letting that happen.

“Are you okay?” Hoyas voice was gruff and low, eyes narrow and full of judgement.

It was way too early for this. Woohyun’s brow furrowed in annoyance not understanding the question and he really had to pee. “Yeah fine. I just need the bathroom, man.”

Hoya raised a brow dramatically, hoping to elicit a chuckle from woohyun but he wasn’t paying attention. “If you need anything let me know.” His arms fell to his sides and he moved to let woohyun pass. Leaning against the wall he just watched the lithe frame of the other man brush by.

Woohyun stopped abruptly before entering the bright light of the bathroom, he stared at Howon for a while, teeth biting into his lower lip the rising in the small space. “You know what? I do need something... You could wipe my for me.” He laughed hard and disappeared behind the bathroom door.

Hoya just closed his eyes hands balling into fists. He had to admit it was funny, but he hoped his words came across as sincere. “Maybe next time!” He left with a stupid laugh and went about his day.

Days and weeks went by, two weeks to be specific. Woohyun was counting. He was on winter break for school and things were going smooth. He passed all his exams with flying colors and took time off from the record shop. The whole DJ thing was put on the back burner for the time being. He handed it down to some freshman who seemed to worship his song choices, they were doing a good enough job that Sunggyu still left the station on at night when he would sleep. Sunggyu had been busy with family things and with the holiday season work had gotten very busy now that people seemed to have more free time. Sunggyu was also saving up to get himself and Woohyun nice gifts for Christmas which was just around the corner. One holiday right after the other.

Sunggyu grumbled to himself sleeves rolled up head resting in his hands. He finally caught a break at the diner. Then the door jingled. He perked up and was ready to do his job that is until he saw who it was. Myungsoo and surprisingly Soojung attached to his arm. They had obviously been drinking by the way Myung had to unravel the scandalously dressed woman and tuck her into the booth. “We need service!” Myungsoo was loud and giggly. A few patrons turned to look in their direction.

Sunggyu needed to shut him up. “You are so loud.” He spoke as he hurried to their table. “I remember this chick, from the Halloween party and the thing at our place. Wasn’t she all over Woohyun.” Sunggyu talked about Soojung as if she wasn’t there. She was not exactly coherent, so It didn’t really matter, plus he didn’t like her, so he didn’t care.

He eyed the girl with the long perfect legs, exposed with the long slit in her short skirt. Her head was down on the table, already fast asleep.

“Yep that’s her. Found her at a bar. So, I’m taking her home. I love strays.” Myungsoo smiled at her and pet her head. He himself had a slight slur to his words dragging them out much longer then needed. “I need coffee first. Black.”

“Whatever you want.” Sunggyu shrugged and made it back to the counter to fetch some coffee. “It’s hot.” He returned handing it over and Myungsoo took it setting it down on the table before patting the seat next to him. “I miss you.” He looked at Sunggyu, sad kitten eyes in full effect.

Sunggyu sighed and took a seat.

“We don’t see each other anymore.”

“We hardly ever did. You were never home, Myungsoo.”

“Yeah but when I came home you were always there. You made my life have at least one constant. It was you.”

Sunggyu didn’t know how to reply so he stayed silent.

“Do you love him?”

Sunggyu tipped his head to the side, this kid was drunk. He smiled and nodded. “Yeah I do.”

“No matter what? You better, you better love him a whole lot.” Myungsoo stared down into the dark hole that was his coffee.

Sunggyu just took a breath letting it out slowly leaving Myung to his drunken date. “Drink your coffee, its free refills so I will just bring you more and then get you a taxi okay?”

“Yeah… okay.” Myung sipped his coffee quietly and watched the night outside the window.

The hours of the night slipped away into the rising sun who had returned again calling Sunggyu to sleep. Myungsoo was gone with his sensuous fare and it was time to head home. Sleeping alone these days brought about a million thoughts to fill his head, instead of warm lips and limbs he was embraced with cold sheets even though the warm sun burst rays of light into his windows. Sunggyu curled up and into himself, the small ball of fluff who wasn’t so small any more joined him and they drifted to sleep. It was not peaceful. He tossed and turned tangling himself into the taught linens only to wake to an empty room once again. Sunggyu lie there in bed staring at the ceiling waiting for the room to be full of that warmth that taunted him from the windows.

Breaking him away from his thoughts, there came a knock at the door. With a groan, he trudged his tired soul through the empty loft still shrouded in heavy blankets, cat trailing behind playing a game with the dragging comforter.

He opened the door.

“Woohyun.” The name came out of him like it had been his first breath. Life being breathed back into his body as soon as it passed his lips.

Before he could fill his lungs again Woohyun assaulted him with a hard hug, ing them back into the house nearly toppling them to the ground. “I can’t live without you.”

Sunggyu just laughed and pet his head.

“I had all these horrible dreams and I couldn’t sleep at all. Did I ever tell you that? You make everything in my life so peaceful and calm. I need you.” He was desperate to get closer. Kicking the door closed behind him they moved to the bed effortlessly, their favorite place, and settled there.

Holding onto each other for dear life they talked about how stupid it was that Rose didn’t pull Jack up onto the door after the titanic sank. There was definitely room. Woohyun hadn’t even taken his jacket or back pack off yet. He was just flopped there on top of the pile of Sunggyu. Slowly they moved into more comfortable positions still sticking to each other like glue. Woohyun’s things landed on the floor with a loud thud and Sunggyu chuckled.

“So, I guess your ready for a weekend visit with my fam?” He rubbed his boyfriends’ neck soothingly.

“Yeah. Dongwoos mom said that next year you have to come over to have dinner with us there.”

“Oh right, you usually go with Dongwoo to family things.” There was a long pause. They didn’t really talk about these things because Woohyun avoided them, but it was time to ask. “Hey, why don’t you go with your family?” he hoped it was something that Woohyun would be comfortable to talk about with him.

“I don’t have a family.” The brunette mumbled under the blankets. He sighed and figured there was a reason that Sunggyu was asking. So, he had to elaborate. “Don’t get weird after I tell you-- or treat me like you feel bad. I have a mom, but she could be dead for all I know. We moved here to be closer to family but that was bull , no one came around, so it was just me and her. I guess my dad was abusive to her before I was even born so she left. As I grew up I had to deal with all her ty boyfriends, drugs and really bad stuff that I don’t want to get into. got bad, but I’m good now so it’s okay.” He smiles and moves closer to rest his head on Sunggyus chest. The sound of his heart beat calming him instantly.

“That . I’m sorry you had to deal with that.” Sunggyu was frowning at the thought of his precious love dealing with things that were too dark for his pure soul. “I don’t want you to worry about that ever again. It’s not weird.” He chuckles. “And don’t worry I won’t give you annnnny special treatment ever again.”

“Yah.” Woohyun popped his head up out of the blankets. “That’s not what I meant.”

Sunggyu laughs and just hugs Woohyun’s head. They stay like that for a while and eventually fall asleep.

 

The next morning it was Thanksgiving. Woohyun was already up and running around getting ready, yelling something about the parade. Sunggyu of course was still in bed wanting just a few more minutes of sleep. If anyone in the world actually spent one third of their life in bed it was Kim Sunggyu, probably more then half and he had no qualms about it.

“Babe, baby, Gyu, KIM SUNGGYU. Please get up we have to go if we are going to watch the parade!”

“Who cares about that. Its dumb. Its for kids… and old ladies” Sunggyu grumbled and laughed as he rolled out of bed. He dressed himself in his usual black ripped skinnies and a t-shirt. Walking into the kitchen he saw someone way too over dressed for the occasion and he burst out into hysterical laughter. “What are you doing?”

Woohyun was trying to tie a bowtie to match his dumb sweater vest and button-down shirt. “I’m getting ready.” He turned to look at Sunggyu in horror. “You can’t wear that.” Woohyun left his undone tie hang from his neck as he moved toward Sunggyu and tugged on his shirt.

“What is wrong with what I am wearing?” Sunggyu scoffed and looked down at his outfit seeing anything awry. He raised a brow at Woohyun.

“Um today is a special day. You have to look nice.”

“I do look nice, you look like a nerd. What’s with the bowtie?”

They bickered for a minute and ultimately decided to mutually change their outfits. Woohyun lost the bowtie and the sweater vest and Sunggyu put on a much more appropriate pair of pants that weren’t ripped and a sort of dressy shirt. There were grumbles and complaints, but they made it work, coming out looking perfectly decent.

“There that’s so much better right?’ Woohyun was proud of himself for convincing his boyfriend to change.

“Yeah now we can take that family Christmas card you always wanted.” Sunggyu jested and laughed

Woohyun didn’t really find it funny, but he laughed sarcastically. “So, are you ready to go?”

“Yep, can’t believe you got me up this early.” Gyu narrowed his eyes sliding over to Woohyun to wrap his arms around him sensing the slight tension. “Come on we don’t want to miss the parade. Geez my mom is going to be surprised.” They stood like that in the kitchen for a moment enjoying the embrace before heading out to brave the cold and make their way over to Sunggyus parents’ house.

The drive wasn’t too long. It was a beautiful view along the coast, the waves were high crashing white along the shore. The trees, although bare, left the ground covered in hues of red and gold, floating in to the air as the cold wind blew. It was a good day, sun shining down, peaking over the grey clouds to light their path. Woohyun was nervous. He held onto Sunggyus hand the whole way not even letting go once.

When they arrived, it was exactly like Woohyun imagined, big and old and brick, surrounded by trees on a hill. Funny how it really came to life like that. He smiled as they pulled into the driveway. The streets were empty, probably much too early for the rest of the world. They gathered their things and headed to the front door without a word, Woohyun carefully checking out his surroundings.

The door opened and there was no one to greet them. The house smelled of fresh baked goods and of course they were both ers for a good pastry. Kicking off their shoes they let their noses lead the way toward the kitchen. It was an open layout. Kitchen opened out into the expansive living room and dining area. The parade was already on.

“Mom.” Sunggyu snuck up behind the small woman in the kitchen.

“My son!” She turned around with her hands in the air as they were covered in flour. She hugged him immediately. “Oh, you’re so early. What a surprise. Your father is still sleeping.” She wiped her hands on her floral apron. It was a bit old fashioned but still did the trick. “You must be Woohyun?” Sunggyus mother looked at Gyu to make sure she was correct, and he nodded. “You are so very handsome.”

“I- Thank you for having me.” Woohyun smiled and nodded his head awkwardly clutching his bag in his hands. He wasn’t even sure what Gyu had told his parents. Were the just friends, boyfriends, what did they know?

“Well the parade is on and I am just about to put some cinnamon rolls in the oven. You boys have a seat. Or, Sunggyu show him your room so you can put your things down. Don’t wake your dad though.”

“Come on.” Sunggyu turned to Woohyun and pulled him away down a hall. They came to the end and walked up some stairs. At the end of a turn they stopped in front of a door. “Here it is.” Sunggyu pushed the door open and instantly flopped on his bed dropping his things on the ground.

Woohyun looked around the room for a second taking it all in. The band posters, art, music, it was honestly a mess. He laughed. Setting his things on the floor next to the bed, he joined Sunggyu.

“I have a question.” Woohyun pat Sunggyus back.

“Hm?”

“What do your parents know about us?”

Sunggyu turned over onto his back and looked up at Woohyun with a smile. “Everything…. Why?” He took his boyfriends hand into his and caress it softly playing with his fingers. “Should I not have said anything? I mean they don’t know EVERYTHING. But yeah they know we are together. They’re cool. I’ve kind of always just done what I want ya know, they’re used to it.” He chuckles and brings Woohyun’s hand to his lips kissing his fingers softly.

“The parade.” Woohyun laughed and leaned in to kiss his boyfriend really quick before hopping off the bed hand out stretched to pull Sunggyu with him.

“You are so weird.”

They went back down stairs and Sunggyus mom had made coffee offering it to them both. They accepted and sat on the couch together watching the parade.

“Cinnamon rolls will be done soon I am so excited.” Woohyun mumbled over his sips of coffee.

Sunggyu watched him amused by this person next to him. How could bad things happen to someone like this so oft and gentle and caring. Woohyun had ultimately changed his life, and for the better. It was a sudden realization that he had actually changed a lot over the time they had spent together. Things were not perfect, but it was damn near close enough.

“I love you.” Sunggyu blurted out and immediately he could feel his cheeks go red.

Woohyun looked at him from the corner of his eye and smirked trying so hard not to laugh. He didn’t know why he even found this funny. Maybe it was the sudden confession. He had felt Gyu staring at him for a while. “I love you too.” He smiled and rested his head on his boyfriend shoulder.

They had their cinnamon rolls and the parade ended. Two big hands came over from behind the couch and gripped Sunggyus shoulders firmly giving him a light shake. It was his father. He was large and a bit round, he was a happy man that was for sure by the big smile on his face. It was as if Santa Clause was on vacation and shaved off his beard, minus the white hair.

“My boy. Throw the game on. I need some football to wash my eyes out from that parade.” He laughs. “I was watching it in bed. Your mother was kind enough to bring me coffee and a cinnamon roll. Why didn’t you come say hi?”

“Mom said not to bother you.” Sunggyu quipped. “This is Woohyun.” He was nonchalant leaving Woohyun to fend for himself.

“Hello sir, Nice to meet you. You’ve got such a lovely home here.” He smiled turning to face Sunggyus father. “I think it’s the giants versus the Steelers today. They’re six and O’”

His dad laughed and pat Woohyun on the back hard. “Nice to meet you kid.” He moved around the couch and plopped right in the squishy looking arm chair closest to the tv. “Sunggyu I like him. You don’t even watch football with your dad. Who is ready for a beer?”

“Seriously. I just finished my coffee, dad.” There was a definite tone in Sunggyus voice, attitude. “You want one?” He looked at Woohyun.

Woohyun declined and sat back pulling his legs up to sit crisscross. Sunggyu pat his thigh and got up to go grab his father a beer. Woohyun and Mr. Kim sat in silence as the games started with the blow of a whistle. Sunggyu returned with the beer for his dad and more coffee. Some time went by and Woohyun wondered off to the kitchen again. Mrs. Kim roped him in to helping with dinner to which Sunggyu protested because now that meant he had to help too. They talked about embarrassing things Sunggyu had done as a child and how bratty he was. Woohyun was so happy to be there in a home full of love and laughter.

Dinner was finally ready, and everything looked and smelled amazing.

“Wow honey you out did yourself.” Mr. Kim was already sat at the head of the table tucking a linen napkin into the collar of his shirt.

“Too bad everyone decided to go away for this holiday season. It would have been nice for Woohyun to meet our family.” Sunggyus mother chimed in as she brought out the last few dishes to set the table.

They ate and talked some more but by the end of dinner Woohyun began to notice a solemn mood. Mrs. Kim was on the verge of tears as she reached out for her husbands’ hand. They consoled each other quietly and Woohyun could only watch uncomfortably.

“I’m so sorry honey.” Sunggyus mom spoke and smiled through wet eyes. “Our daughter passed away some years ago and its just that we miss her a lot during these times. She would have been so happy to meet you.” She reached across the table to pat Woohyun’s hand. “She was so bright and loving, she cared for her little brother so much.”

Woohyun didn’t know how to respond, he had never felt that kind of love not even for his own mother or himself for that matter and in the moment his past rushed through his mind. Life was precious.

The night continued, and everyone was tired from too much food and conversation. Mr. and Mrs. Kim said good night and headed to bed. Settled into the couch Sunggyu and Woohyun held hands under the blankets playing with fingers and hands so that no one could see, but the family had gone to bed and hands wandered.

“Your parents…” Woohyun let out a hushed whisper.

“They are probably passed out already. How bout I take you to bed hm?” Sunggyu smiled and looped his arms around a limp and sleepy Woohyun. He looked cute like this, eyelids heavy, face soft.

“Fine.” Woohyun dragged in protest but in all honesty all the food he had eaten turned him into a rock and sleep sounded amazing.

They made it to Gyus room where the red head helped his boy out of his clothes and under the sheets. Sunggyu followed making Woohyun the little spoon. The soft touches were lulling Woohyun to sleep. The warmth of the body behind him put him into such a safe state of mind.

“Hey Gyu...” He was quiet for a moment wondering if he should pry at such a touchy subject. “Tell me about your sister.

“Hmm what about her… Well, she was cool. We were really close. Hmm, she died in a car accident. Some er ran out into the road and she swerved hitting a tree.” He sighed. “I was in the car with her and she ing died. God, we should have just run him over. I was so pissed for so long and got myself into bad but I’m okay now. I just don’t talk about it because she’s gone ya know, not really anything I can do about it. Can’t bring her back.”

Woohyun didn’t make a sound, he was frozen in place, one of the worst moments of his life started to replay in his mind. What was this? He was shaking, sobbing silently as to not let Sunggyu know. The darkest part of him started to rise up from the pit of his soul and he was doing anything to choke it back down again, never let it out.

“I-I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” The tears came in a flood. Woohyun shrunk himself into the smallest position. Suddenly his bones hurt, and his heart felt like it was ripped in two. He squeezed his own body as if forcing himself to disappear. He couldn’t stop crying.

Sunggyu was concerned and for good reason, this reaction was a bit extreme. “Hey. Hyun, its okay. You’re okay. It was a long time ago.” He tried to laugh it off and lighten the mood, but it seemed that Woohyun was inconsolable. “What’s wrong?” He pulled at his mess of a boyfriend to try and bring him into his arms but there was nothing to grab onto Woohyun was sinking into himself more and more. The best Sunggyu could do was to drape himself over that shivering body rubbing here and there to comfort him.

He wasn’t able to get through. Maybe Woohyun had suffered something similar? Sunggyu couldn’t wrap his mind around it. The night carried on and so did the small brown-haired boy beside him. It was pitiful to watch but there was nothing he could do. Finally, Woohyun fell asleep after exhausting himself of all his tears. Sunggyu lie there staring at the ceiling watching the shadows of the trees filtering through the window. The moon was bright and cold, silver light bounced off of Woohyun’s features prompting Sunggyu to give him a kiss before drifting to sleep himself.

 

The next morning, they woke up to dark clouds and rain. A large storm had moved in. Sunggyu turned to Woohyun to bring him into his arms after a good stretch but he was unresponsive… Something was wrong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________

AN: of course... cant go too long with things being happy. Sigh There will be a lot of editing for the next chapter. Apologies if this one was a little less then poslished. Thank you for everyone who has read and continues to read my stories.