Chapter 2: iTry to Find You

I Wanna Be Yours (난 당신되고 싶어)

               I didn’t know what had got into his mind, we were completely stranger and he already dared to judge me like he already knew me for so long, long enough that he was brave enough to made me cry like this. The bell rang when I finished the last touch of my makeup, I didn’t want anyone to see me in here so I got out quickly as soon as I put my powder and lip gloss into my pocket. I put these two things in my pocket so they could become handy in situations like this.

                The hallway was crowded twice quickly as I expected, it was kind of strange since it was only the start of the second period, I wondered what had happened when I was gone. I was on my way back to chemistry class when I accidentally bumped into a group of tall people that suddenly showed up in front of me.

“Sorry” I said. I lifted my head and was surprised to found that they were my girls. Lalisa was also surprised to see me and she hugged me.

“Where have you been? I thought something went wrong so I looked for you everywhere as soon as the class is over” she said as she caressed my cheek.

“I-I was in the third floor restroom” I said. Jisoo wrapped my hands inside her as soon as Lalisa let go of me.

“What happened? I can see the dry tears over there under your makeup” she said and It surprised me how my makeup skill couldn’t cover up my tears. I tried to find a reason for it, I couldn’t tell them about what had happened in the fourth floor, what I did and whom I met, they didn’t have to know. “Come on, don’t be shy and just tell us. We’re your best friends”

“I-I…I vomited. Like… a lot, and I can’t help with the pain in my stomach, that’s why I cried” I said. Really? You could’ve done better than that Hayi, was that the best thing you could do? Vomit? I really hoped they believed it, I’ve never been this scared before, it was not the first time I lied to them, but this time felt so much scarier than before. I didn’t even know why I felt that way, maybe because this time I really was hiding something from them.

“Aw honey, I hope you get better really soon!” Jisoo tightly hugged me. While my head was on her shoulder, I could see Jennie didn’t even pay attention to what had happened to me, she didn’t even ask where I was or at least standing here with the three of us. She was there, putting her back on us while she was busy with her phone.

I found this kind of weird; as best friends shouldn’t Jennie try to comfort me? At least pat my back or say that everything was going to be alright, anything that would make me feel comfortable. But she didn’t, she just stood there with her phone. Maybe she already knew the truth, maybe she knew that I was lying to them, but it couldn’t be. She was the one who started the rumor about the ghost in the fourth floor, she would never come there. Or maybe she did?

Suddenly, Jennie put her phone away and walked towards us. I quickly got myself away from Jisoo. “Yeah, thank you Jisoo. I actually feel better after you and Lalisa hugged me. It gave me so much warm” I said as Jennie finally joined us.

“That is what friends are for, right?” Lalisa said.

I saw Jennie stood beside Lalisa and she was ready to say something “That’s right! We will always be there for each other, and that’s why… since the school finishes early today-“

Wait, the school finished early? So that’s why it was so crowded here.

“-we will go shopping together! The four of us, to the mall, shopping, and I don’t want any additional members. How does that sound?” She said.

She didn’t even mention anything related to my condition, she just joined us out of nowhere and pretended like she was listening to us since the very first time. Which was wrong, totally wrong, she suddenly came, and talked as if she has shown enough empathy for me.

                I believed she didn’t know that I saw her standing there, far from us and then came back with excitement like she has known everything enough for her to suddenly brought up her brilliant idea about taking us to shopping, right after she knew I vomited, I was sick. I admitted that I was lying too, but could she seriously do that to a friend that has just vomited?

“That sounds really great! I need to buy a few tops too, the ones in my wardrobe are outdated” said Jisoo. She too agreed with that idea, I was not surprised since she was the kind of person that goes with the flow. But I saw Lalisa, she was looking at me.

“But, what about Hayi? She doesn’t look very well now, I mean she vomited, clearly something went wrong with her health, don’t you guys think-“ I knew exactly where Lalisa was pointing at, she was trying to tell Jennie that it was not right, knowing that I was ill. I was very thankful someone actually realized it. But I stopped her from saying more; I wanted to know where this would be going to.

“No! I’m fine! I told you I feel better because of you guys, come on! Let’s go shopping till we drop!” I said full of excitement.

Jennie jumped in excitement too, “Yes! Now what are we waiting for?”

                We were heading to the parking lot, as usual, Jennie led our way. She always took the lead in whatever we do and we followed her, not only because she made the best decisions, but also because she was the reason why we were popular.

Wait a second

                That reminded me of something. I only became friends with Jennie because she was popular, so I could be popular too, somehow this thinking led to what that outsider guy in the music room talked about. Maybe this was what he meant. But no, he was not right. I mean yes Jennie was the reason why I was popular, but she was not the only reason. I was popular because I was pretty, nice, cute, and whatsoever. He was wrong, I would prove that he was wrong, and I would show to him how he was wrong about me in every aspect. But would I ever meet him again? I had to see him again so I could prove that he was wrong, but I didn’t even know his name, and I wasn’t even sure he went to this school. I didn’t see his uniform though, it was not clear because the room was dark and he wore a black hoodie. The last thing I could do was to ask someone if they know him, but obviously not Jennie, Jisoo and Lalisa. I had to ask to someone who knew useless information like this, which was Donghyuk.

                He was the school’s president, he knew a lot of people (not because he wanted to, but he had to), and he could be trusted. I only knew him because we were neighbors when we were in elemntary school, but then I became rich and my family moved to a bigger house. I didn’t know if he was still the same Donghyuk I knew though, we were parted for years and we met again in this school as a stranger. I knew he recognized me but we only talked once or twice about school project, nothing personal. I was eager to contact him and asked something about that guy, without hesitating, I grabbed my bag and took my phone. Only that I found I wasn’t carrying my bag. My bag was gone! And then I realized, when I decided to go out of the class, I didn’t bring my bag.

“H-hey girls, I think I left my bag in the class” I said. They stopped and looked at me.

“Oh no, I hope they haven’t locked the class yet” Jisoo said. Well that was one good news, I thought I’d go home without my phone today.

“Well you would better be hurry, we’ll be waiting for you in the car” Lalisa said.

                Without a word, I ran to the chemistry class in the second floor. I ran through the sea of crowds, without even saying sorry, I bumped into almost everybody. They’d forgive me because I was popular though, they always had exceptions for people like me. I really hoped the class was still open, or else I would spend a day without my wallet, my phone, my iPod, I couldn’t even imagine that.

                I was in the second floor already, there weren’t many people here, thought everybody was out already. But I could see the chemistry class sign, quickly, I ran to it. Thankfully the door was still open, so I took my bag quickly and got out of the class. On my way back to downstairs, I walked pass by the stairs to the third floor. I thought maybe I should come back to the music room and ask that guy about his name. No, not just his name, I want to punch him for real this time. But it was impossible that he was still there, but in the other side, there was nothing wrong with trying, right?

                So I went to the music room and I got a bit disappointed that I didn’t find him. I looked through every corner of the room, the drum set where I met him, behind the door, the cupboard, anything, but I couldn’t find him. He was gone, I thought, and I shouldn’t be upset with it. I should be happy that I didn’t meet that jerk again, I would prove him without even have to see him again, he knew my name then he sees me every day, then he paid attention to what I do, and he had to pay attention to what I was going to prove him.

                On my way to the parking lot, I called Donghyuk. It was connected already but he hasn’t picked up my call. I dialed him a few times while I was walking until he showed up across the hallway. He stood there, staring back at me as he grabbed his phone as if he was about to pick up my call. We stood there staring at each other for five seconds before he started the talk.

“You’re looking for me?” he asked as he put back his phone into his pocket. I blinked a few times without saying a word; I was stricken by how he grew up so well. His body got bigger and more masculine, I could see the muscles on his arms and his chest even though he was wearing a jacket. He was so different than the Donghyuk I knew years ago, hopefully his personality didn’t change too. Even though this was not the first time I met him in this school after years we’ve been parted, I never notice his appearance this way. I never took the time to think about it because we were focusing on the school project back then, but now I did look him in a different way.

“Lee Hayi-ssi?” he asked as he waved his hand in front of my face.

“Eh?” I shook my head swiftly, “Oh, yes. Yeah, I was looking for you” I said half conscious.

“And?”

“I-I was wondering if you can help me with something”

“Okay?”

                I got more nervous as he asked me more. The fewer his words got, the more nervous I get. Why was I so weak when it came to boys? Boys were not my weaknesses, I was just surprised that Donghyuk grew up to be such a good looking man, not to mention he was the school’s president, he must’ve been flooded by fangirls. I couldn’t even imagine that the Donghyuk I used to play with had to deal with fans and love letters.

“Y-you’re the school president, right?” I asked a stupid question.

“Um, yeah?” He stared at me like I was stupid, but I couldn’t deny it, I really did ask him a stupid question. Like of course! Wasn’t that obvious enough that he was the president?

“And you know a lot of people, right?”

“From seniors to freshmen. Yes, why?”

“And even outsiders?” why are my questions suddenly sound so stupid? Was it because the fact that he was the smartest kid in the school? Or was it just me who was definitely absolutely stupid? I saw Donghyuk rolled his eyes like he was thinking about something.

“Yeah, that can be possible. But I don’t like to divide people into stereotypes”

“Geez, sorry” Okay I definitely made a mistake “B-but do you know a boy that likes to wear black hoodie and he kind of lives in the music room in the fourth floor”

“You went to the fourth floor?” he asked. I felt like a huge rock has fallen on my head, I didn’t know if I should just say the truth or just lie like I always did.

“Y-yeeaaa….No. I didn’t” I chose to lie, “I didn’t go there, like, what kind of creep that wants to go to that haunted place? I’m just wondering if you know that guy”

“Creep?” He asked as if it was a wrong thing to say. I stared at him blankly and he chuckles, which I didn’t know why. “Maybe you’re referring to Koo Junhoe?” he finally mentioned a name.

“Koo Junhoe?” I thought about some boys that I knew or I’ve met, but none of them had the name of Koo Junhoe, he didn’t sound like that jerk I met in the music room. No, it was not him.

“Yes, Koo Junhoe. You don’t know him?”

“N-nope” I shook my head.

“Funny, I thought you know a lot about rich people” he said

“Well just because I’m rich doesn’t mean I need to know all of the rich people in Korea, right?”

“I didn’t say you were rich” now he made me feel guilty. He was not like what I expected, since when he became this kind of jerk that plays with somebody’s words? I didn’t like it, he treated me like I was stupid and stereotypical. “Huh, it’s okay. I suggest it’s Koo Junhoe that you meant since he’s rich and I thought you have some kind of link to him, which turns out you don’t. But if it’s not him then it must’ve been one of the dudes that used to go there after school”

“And you don’t know any of them?”

“Sorry. It’s out of my capability” he said. “I might have to leave you now. See you later, Lee Hayi-ssi”

                He left me as soon as he finished his last sentence. It annoyed me how he ended our conversation like that, I didn’t like how he acted towards me now, it was very different than the friendly Donghyuk I knew years ago. I was also disappointed with his answers. Koo Junhoe? Rich? How was I supposed to know that kind of things? I didn’t know Koo Junhoe or the dudes he talked about. I wished he would leave me with more helpful answers but I guessed he was as useless as I thought. He even mentioned my name in a formal way! Back when we were in elemntary school, he called me with names. What’s wrong with him?

                After Donghyuk left me, I went straight to Jennie’s car. I saw the girls were waiting for me and I thought I needed to lie again this time. As soon as I seated myself in the back seat next to Lalisa, my phone vibrated. I quickly took a look at it and I was not expecting Donghyuk would text me after what he did to me earlier.

From: Kim Donghyuk

Sorry I couldn’t help you much, I will let you know if I get more information about the person you are looking for. Anyway, nice to see you again, Lee Hayi-ssi.

“What take you so long, Hayi? Did you vomit again?” Lalisa asked me. I quickly hid my phone before she could read the text from Donghyuk, I couldn’t let them know about the secret mission I was into.

“Uh-oh, I stopped by to greet Donghyuk” I said.

“Donghyuk? Kim Donghyuk? That hot school president?” Jisoo asked, she was shocked to hear the news I brought. I never told them anything about my closeness with Donghyuk.

“Yes, Kim Donghyuk” I said.

                I saw Jennie didn’t pay attention, again. And even worst, she cut off our conversation with her excitement about our shopping session.

“Okay, girls. Let’s go to the mall!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Thank you for catching up with this fanfic! I'll try my best to keep the story interesting so please subscribes :) and don't forget to comment!

[ Yes that guy is Hanbin ;) ]