UNBOUND 4

The Lair (Book 2) UNBOUND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

DARA's POV

I shut the door behind me and leaned my back against it, slumping my shoulders as I took a deep breath. It's been a very long day and suddenly, I am Mrs. Choi. It's hard to make that sink in. But if I am having a hard time, how much more Jiyong? Though this was planned, I know how hard this must be for him.

I lift my left hand touched the expensive band around my finger and I fought the urge to take it off, as I staggered forward, shuffling my feet until I got rid of these pesky heels that made my calves stiff the whole day. I threw my veil on the bed, plucking out the bobby pins securing my hair up one by one.

Soon, Seunghyun would be here to pick me up and I would have to stay in his place in the mean time. It sounds easy since we're friends but, to be honest, I'm starting to feel awkward with this whole set up. I know Seunghyun is too since Hayi was starting to ask a lot of questions. I know we're just putting up a show but I still feel bad for him, for Dr. Park Bom, for Hayi... But most of all, for Jiyong. 

Kwon Jiyong seems like a mystery but I know him and how jealous he easily gets no matter how cool he looks like, and I do understand why he feels insecure despite him knowing how much he means to me. I almost laughed at myself for being so conceited, but I know him so much. I might have forgotten how he was back when we we're younger, but the adult Jiyong, this present Jiyong, I know him inside and out. I wonder where he is right now. I wonder if he's somewhere having a drink. I wonder if— oh please. I'm sure he kept his promise. No more other women. 

I was about to take my gown off when I noticed something unusual behind me. I stiffened at the presence that I felt and my eyes darted left and right, in search of anything I could use as a weapon. Just when I was about to grab the lampshade, I felt myself being engulfed in a strong pair of arms and before I could let out a shriek, I was spun around and soon, I realized I was facing the man I was just thinking of earlier.

My eyes widened in surprise, my mouth dried as I tried to find something to say. I can't even say his name for I was afraid I was only hallucinating.

Is this another fragment of my memory? He looked so beautiful in white suit, his hair brushed back that I could see his manly features even more. Tears pricked my eyes when I saw him furrow his brows as if wondering why I was still speechless and immobile.

"Dara..."

"I... I'm not dreaming, am I? This isn't just some of my memories suddenly flashing back before me, right?"

And he smiled a smile that could make any woman weak. And I started to lose my energy, good thing he was holding me. He took me with him and settled me on his lap as he sank down the bed. "What are you talking about, silly?" He pinched my nose. "I'm here. For real."

I buried my face in his neck as I hugged him tightly, as if my life depended on him. Yes, I'm not dreaming or hallucinating. This is his scent, this is him.

This is my Jiyong.

And I clung unto him without saying anything for I wanted this to last longer. I needed his warmth so bad. I needed this kind of comfort.

And he understood. We sat like that, just hugging each other, our heartbeats catching up with each other, the silence enveloping us in blissful peace.

Until I remembered where we are. I bolted up and made sure I locked the door. Thank God the curtains were all drawn down, and I turn to him again. "How did you make it here? And... Why are you dressed that way? Did you..."

He shrugged. "I have my ways. Besides, I shouldn't miss this very important occasion."

"What were you thinking! Jiyong, it's dangerous! A lot of officials were there!"

"Nope. Believe it or not, this is the safest place right now," he offers his hand to me and without even thinking, I reached out to him. He pulls me to him once more, ever so carefully, and when I was beside him, he leaned down so his face was against my stomach. "Does this thing already kick?"

Thing??? I was beyond shocked. From calling our child a blob, I was hoping he would address her prettily now that we know her gender but now he just called it a thing? 

"Yah!"

"Oh! I felt that!" He looked up at me with a face splitting grin and it was so contagious I forgot I was just about to scold him. "Did you feel that? It kicked!"

I rolled my eyes and pushed him away but soon his ear was attached to my belly once more and he was talking all to himself and wondering like a little boy and I just found myself running my fingers through his hair while touching his face. This seemed all surreal.

Weren't we just separated for months? Weren't we just talking on the phone few days ago and trying to bridge that little misunderstanding we had when he left me?

As days passed by, I realized, this relationship we have could be painful, different, awkward, difficult, yes, very, but above all, it's purely genuine. Despite all the hardships, it's amazing that we're still here, fighting against all odds. We fall apart, we get back together. Heck, not even my failed memory was able to hinder us. 

We have that certain connection that nothing can ruin, which even I, myself, cannot understand. It's magical. It grows. The more it grows, the more it becomes stronger.

"I love you," I found myself murmuring. Suddenly, I was so happy. If only he was my groom, it won't matter if I die today. I'd die the happiest bride on Earth. He looked up at me and he hugged me dearly. "Please, always take good care of yourself, Jiyong." I told him and he released me, looked me in the eye before he kissed my forehead.

"I can take care of myself. You," he paused as he touched my face, marvelling at it as if trying to memorize every feature. "You take good care of yourself and our baby," he said with so much sincerity that my heart swelled with joy.

Our baby. The way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter