UNWRITTEN 13

The Lair (Book 2) UNBOUND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"I know... My son might have wronged you. I can understand that. But I don't think it's right to say he violated your daughter."

 

I shut my eyes as my father's conversation with the kind sir went on, just so as my eavesdropping. I almost mounted my ear against the door, while I tried to ignore my pain— my body still aching, my heart pounding ever so fast while trying to catch my breath after sneaking out of my confinement.

 

"Should I remind you that it was you who decided to take my son with you? I have entrusted him to you. This is not how I was expecting him to come home. Unrecognizable and barely breathing... How would you feel if you see your child like this?"

 

"Whether it was you, or Soo Man, I do not give a damn! I am very disappointed, Hyo Shin. And I am not just going to let this pass. Mark my word!"

 

My eyes widened when I heard the sound of the rolling wheels against the floor. I quickly backed away, hoping I could immediately reach my room, but even before I could make another step, my legs betrayed me, and soon I could only push myself up when I felt my father's presence behind me.

 

"How pathetic," he spat and if he could only stand in his feet, I know, he would have already kicked me. But he could not.

 

He could only use his words to hurt me.

 

To punish me.

 

"You are so much worse than a huge piece of . I would not even dare lay my hands on you. You are disgusting. No one here would dare."

 

"Dad..."

 

"My hopes were so high of you. I thought you would realize I sent you out for you to see clearly how unfair that world has been to us here in Area 1, and by that I hoped you would do something about it. You were able to eat freely while we starve. You dressed properly in every occasion while we wear black and grey all our lives. You were able to get proper education while your fellowmen here held guns and trained in the field all their lives to protect themselves in case the government devises something against us. You never saw that. Just like them outside, you never did."

 

That was not true! I wanted to say out loud but something in me stopped me.

 

Have I been too selfish?

 

"When the government left us... I clearly told you not to look back on our life before we arrived here. The moment I took you here, nothing will ever be normal again. But you are quite ambitious. And so was I... for you,"

 

"Dad, listen to me..." I begged but he just turned around and left me and soon, his men were surrounding me.

 

"Dad! Dad!" I tried though I know it was useless. I was taken back to my room and locked inside. I felt hungry and thirsty, but not even one meal nor a glass of water arrived. What have I done to deserve such punishment?

 

I was so mad but as hours, as days, went by, I felt my energy was being out of my body. I want to cry out and flip everything on my way but my arms and feet were languid. I have almost given up my  life, with only wishful thoughts of how my life would have been with Sandara and our child, but then her pained face would flash before my eyes, and I was back to drowning myself in guilt once more.

 

And that was the time I realized there will be no peace for me. Not even after death.

 

I woke up one day though, bathing under the sunlight and it was the first time I felt warm since I came home. I opened my eyes and there before me, I saw a friend, a childhood friend named Kiko. She won't speak much but from that day on, she took care of me.

 

It was not long until father informed me that he will send me back to the city to meet Dara. I was ecstatic. I almost cried.

 

I was so desperate that I didn't pay attention to anything but that one chance to see her once more.

 

Yes... I was allowed to see her...

 

Only to wipe away what remains of her memories of me.

 

 

***************

 

 

"Why is mommy not coming with us?"

 

Jiyong glanced down at the girl on his lap who was chewing on her bubblegum innocently, waiting for him to answer her.

 

It's because your father didn't have the balls to fight for his family, he wanted to tell Hayi but he took a deep breath and stopped himself.

 

"Hmm, uncle Jwi? Why are you not answering Hayi?"

 

He squinted his eyes and looked away uneasily as he scratched his head gruffly, trying to think of an excuse to tell the child but Dara, who was seated ahead of him, must have heard the Hayi's question for she turned around and patted the little girl's head.

 

"Mommy is just busy, sweetie. That's why she asked us to take good care of you for a while,"

 

"But mommy has always been weally weally busy! But she only leaves Hayi to Aunt Minzy,"

 

Dara shot Jiyong a glance before switching her gaze to Seunghyun who was seated on the other end of the boat and was watching them intently. She forced a smile to him, trying to assure the man that she could handle the situation.

 

"Well, Hayi, you see... Even aunt Minzy is busy too,"

 

"No one can take care of Hayi?" Hayi asked, pausing from chewing her gum, waiting for Dara to answer her question with her eyebrows furrowed. Dara then pinched her cheeks.

 

"But uncle Jwiyongie's here with Hayi. Ain't she happy about that?"

 

Hayi glanced up to Jiyong who has been really silent all through out the boat ride to the docks. The child blinked her eyes at Jiyong who was still averting his gaze. It made Hayi blink even more rapidly and soon her pursed lips trembled and curves down to a frown.

 

"But... But... Uncle Jwi seems mad at... at Hayi!!!

 

"Omo!" Dara had to hug the little girl who was already wiping her eyes with her arm. "Hayi..." Dara sighed helplessly and comforted the little girl in her arms before glaring at Jiyong.

 

"What is wrong with you?" She snarled at Jiyong before kissing Hayi's cheeks and wiping her tears.

 

 "He's not mad okay? Everybody loves Hayi! How could you say that?" Dara told the girl while eyeing Jiyong with disbelief. She then shifted Hayi on her lap but she was surprised when Jiyong quickly held Hayi and pulled her back to him.

 

"Tsk. She's too heavy for you." He said, rather almost just mouthed the words. "And don't pacify her with lies,"

 

Dara dropped open at Jiyong's words. What she said were true! Well, not all, but white lies are not-that-bad lies, right? She scoffed and huffed and was about to retort but Jiyong already laid Hayi down in his arms and began the girl's hair.

 

"She throws a fit whenever she doesn't get enough sleep. She likes it when you comb her hair like this when she's sleepy," Jiyong said,  marvelling at Hayi's drowsy eyes. He smiled a tiny smile at her and kissed her forehead and when he looked ahead, he saw Dara and Seunghyun watching them with so much awe.

 

"Yes, it's her nap time."

 

************

 

"Oh !" CL ruffled her hair and pulled it in frustration when she accidentally closed the window down on her computer.

 

"Yah Lee Chaerin, what's wrong now?"

 

CL lifted her gaze and when she saw her seniors glaring at her, she stood up and bowed apologetically. "Sorry," she mumbled and sat down to face her computer once more.

 

Being assigned at a local police station's front desk was like the punishment she feared the most. Nonstop incidents arrive before her and she had to make reports and most of the time, she was the one to face the wrath of the angry complainants.

 

And this day, of all the days, was her worst. Her mind was like wiped out, a total blackout, and she could only think about leaving her desk early.

 

"Why the can't you do anything right today, Lee Chaerin?! Aisht!" She muttered as she lowered her head to her desk. "And why am I even part of this mess now?" She mumbled in defeat but she quickly snapped up when she saw her phone blinking and on its screen flashed a name she only knows whom.

 

"Damn I told him not to call me at this hour!" She quickly ended the call but she laughed at herself in disbelief upon recalling what was flashing earlier on her phone screen.

 

Mr. Nice Guy. She scoffed at herself and typed a message away.

 

"I'm busy. What now?" She sent and not too long her phone vibrated.

 

They're coming. Have you made sure the apartment is ready?

 

CL sighed in heavily at the news. If not for Daesung demanding for Seunghyun's presence with a threat, she would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter