UNWRITTEN 3

The Lair (Book 2) UNBOUND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Dad! I graduated with honors! Can you hear me? I graduated with flying colors!"

 

I cling tighter onto my communicator as I excitedly tell him the good news. Bom noona and her parents were still talking to the kind sir and I just need to make this call to my father. Father laughed proudly but soon I am hearing him cough.

 

"Dad? Were you able to get the medicines I sent you?" My smile fades. I asked the kind sir to hand it personally to father because Youngbae called up last week saying there was an outbreak in Area 1. Father might have been infected so I saved up my allowance to be able to send him a better medicine.

 

"Yes. I got it. But your uncle and his family needs it more. I sent it to them. Don't worry about me, son. The president called and assured us the next batch of supplies will arrive soon."

 

I loosen my shirt and slump in bed. Father is always like that. He never fails to think about other people's welfare first. He even saves the fund from donations for other's provisions and livelihoods. 

 

And most especially, in weaponry and device, secretly.

 

"Jiyong? You know what?"

 

"What?"

 

"The southern clan has finally improvised another device.This time a spy cam,"

 

"A spy cam?"

 

"Oh and listen, Lee Seungri was able to make another type of explosives. Aah. That kid is really something. The Gong's cornfield got damaged though but the boy promised me he'll do better soon. He wanted to thank you for the old shirts you've sent him, by the way."

 

I laugh, imagining Seungri and Minzy bickering. I wonder if they still train during weekends. I wonder how the kids are doing.

 

Yes. Even if the government, little by little, is trying to provide for us, the kind sir insisted the people of Area 1 must secretly continue military and weaponry training to defend ourselves just in case the government decides to wipe out the entire group. There has always been a threat like that, since nobody knows we exist.

 

It will be easy for them to wipe us all out without any trace.

 

Sometimes I wonder what the president is thinking. It was not the people of Area 1's fault to be treated that way. It was actually their failure that made everything worse. 

 

We just want to live. We just want to be free once more.

 

But I think that's too impossible right now.

 

"Son?"

 

"Yes... Dad. Sorry."

 

"Stay healthy and safe."

 

"You too dad."

 

"I'm so proud of you," I smile at his words. I wish he was here. 

 

"Thanks Dad. Don't worry, I'll do better in high school. I promise. Then I'll be even better in college. Then..."

 

"One at a time, son. One at a time. Stay happy,"

 

I nod, as if I was just talking to him in front of me. I take a small box from my pocket and marvel at it.

 

"Dad... Kind sir gave me your present. What is this?"

 

"You already have it?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"It's not actually a present, but it depends on how you will perceive it. It might look like a present right now, but soon it will feel like a burden. A responsibility. But it will help you be a stronger man. I hope you'll like it.

 

I tilt my head and shake the box.

 

A present or whatever it is... As long as it is from my father, I'd gladly accept it.

 

"Thanks dad. I'll definitely love it,"

 

**********

 

 

"So tell me... How do you take my son?"

 

"I don't understand what you're trying to say."

 

"I heard about the little disorder inside the infirmary. I gave you a chance to see my son. Why did you pick Choi?"

 

"Choi Seunghyun's life was put on the line because of me. He is here because of me. Tell me, don't you know anything about guilt and conscience?"

 

"Aaaah. Guilt and conscience. Thank you for reminding me, woman. So you don't feel guilty at all for my son? Your conscience didn't nag you at all?"

 

"Jiyong's case is different!"

 

"Because you know how much he is willing to go through for you. You are one very conceited woman,"

 

"What did I ever do to you? Why are you doing this to us? What do you really want from me?"

 

"How did you get that necklace?"

 

"My father gave it to me before he went to an assignment. Before he died,"

 

"And do you know anything about that assignment? Anything before he died?"

 

"No."

 

"Oh. What should expect from someone who doesn't know anything, even how cunning her own father is,"

 

 

Jin Young leaned back his wheelchair and carefully studied the frail girl's features.

 

"He's turned his back on us because of you. Do you know that? And now he made you wear that necklace?"

 

Dara lifted her questioning gaze on the man. It must be true, her father made Jiyong suffer so much but she couldn't remember anything. How does she defend herself?

 

And what is her necklace for? How was she to know?

 

Dara balled her fists. Hearing Kwon Jin Young talk about her father was making her mad as hell. Not that she was denying her father's mistakes, but, she couldn't believe it herself that her father left her lost and confused not knowing what she has to do with the Lair.

 

"Over fifteen years ago, he gave me a symbol of a strong leadership. He believed in me as much as I did in him. He helped this forgotten island recover. He helped us find a new life and as a sign of Area 1's gratefulness to him, we handed him an emblem of a promise that we will forever be allies and that we will protect him and his family at all cost. Oh, we were like brothers. We forged them into pendants and wore it around our necks." The man closed his eyes and Dara saw him clenching his jaw.

 

"My son was taken by your father with him. As he was studying outside the island, supplies and provisions were being sent here. I have experienced numerous murder attempts though and that explains my situation right now as you can see. There are people wanting to eliminate this place afraid their names might get dragged into the hideous hidden project once it gets revealed. But I survived and made sure this place will have Jiyong as their future leader.  I passed my necklace onto Jiyong because he is my son and I trust his judgment. I imposed a harsher, tighter rules for the members. We were able to defend ourselves. We were fine until the news broke that my son has been treated inhumanely by my own friend. My own ally. And that was the day we cut ties. You being Park Hyo Shin's daughter have no right to wear that!"

 

Dara lowered her head and bit her lip. She understood somehow the pain of the man before her as a father. And she felt guilty she was part of it.

 

"You were asking what you ever did to us? Why? What did my son ever did to you and your father? It was your father who gave him false hopes that he can be free. That he can be loved. That someone will be there to care for him. Death is easier than hoping, than expecting from someone who will just betray you in the end."

 

"I didn't know. I didn't know that much,"

 

"Of course you don't. He made sure to make you forget, not leaving a single knowledge in your head about Jiyong and the lair. That part of your life was unwritten. It saved you from misery, yes it did. Because your father knew you were weak."

 

"It wasn't easy. Do you think hearing this is easy? I feel like my whole life was a lie. I wish he just killed me. You're right. Death is easier. Why don't you just kill me?"

 

"Can you handle not to be with my son? Leaving him?"

 

Dara bit her lip and bowed her head. To be honest, she wasn't so sure anymore about death when she heard Jiyong's name.

 

"What do you really want from me? Just tell me,"

 

"Simple." Jin Young pressed the button on the arm chair leaving a few distance away from Dara. "If your father gave that necklace to you, it means he was trying to send out a message. There's something wrong. So I need to know what's wrong. It could be a warning. Or it could simply mean he wants us to keep protecting you."

 

"From what?"

 

"That, we should find out. And you and your friends are going to help me."

 

Dara could just shut her eyes helplessly. How? What is this man ask her to do? 

 

And looking at the situation, does she even have a  choice?

 

"You are leaving me without a choice,"

 

"Oh,  lady. I am giving you a choice. Believe me. Should I free my son now?"

 

Dara snapped her eyes open. He'll set Jiyong free from his room!

 

But she knew too well there's got to be a price for it.

 

"How about Seunghyun and CL?"

 

"Oh. We can make a bargain. I can just make the blond girl forget about us and she'll live in peace. Do you want that? Or maybe—"

 

"You are setting her free and she will decide for herself," Dara said with so much determination in her face. 

 

The man nodded. "Granted. Let's move on to Choi Seunghyun. How about I set him free too?"

 

"You will?" Dara couldn't believe what she was hearing. What is Jiyong's father up to this time?

 

"But he has to get us informations. Everything we need."

 

"What if he failed to comply?"

 

"Oh, I am quite disappointed you still don't realize the possible consequences up until now. Did you forget? Choi Seunghyun's family are with us."

 

Dara prevented herself from screaming profanities in the man's face. How dare he talk about a bargain? They're at the losing ends from the very beginning!

 

"Then... what about Jiyong?" She asked. If Seunghyun's freedom will put his family at stake, what more Jiyong's?

 

"I want to see how sorry you are for causing him so much pain. My poor son's still recovering but he has his own group to lead. He has his own apprentices to train. But I believe he still can't do a decent assignment with his current condition,"

 

Dara swallowed hard. was dry and her heart never ceased thumping wildly in her chest.

 

"What are yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter