Chapter 25

Theft in the Dark (Old)

A body of a lost love laid lonesome amongst the lands of fallen wanderers. Shuddering, shivering against the wind, he curled tightly into a ball to protect himself from its harshness. Only in his thoughts was the love he had lost, where it too laid beside him, holding and comforting him. This delusion soothed him for a while, a few days perhaps, but it could not last forever. As the body grew weakened with lack of life's bare essentials, his mind turned ever more mad. His eyes closed as for the first time in his life he prayed. He prayed his heart away for more days to come, muttering nonsense with his eyes now glued shut, positive that his savior would come.

Indeed, his savior did come, his lost love did come. His lover picked up his frail and limp body in such careful, loving arms, embracing him with all his heart. An angel carried him now, and it was marvelous. As his eyes stayed shut without enough strength to open them again, he felt as if he was floating in a pleasant dream as he was carried.

Although he could not see him, he knew that his savior was his lover just by pure instinct. Their hearts always knew when one was without the other, because it felt so empty inside without them. And as his lover wept, he wished he could weep too. He wished he could weep with joy, hug and kiss the man who rescued him, then live out the rest of their days together happily.

His dreams however, would not become a reality. It was far too late for him. His lover wept with sadness, not joy, because he knew that only seconds remained before the emptiness would consume him for the rest of his days. The body was just a body now. The soul at least left it happily, thinking that it had been on its way home, rescued by its mate. 

As the lover held the empty shell close, and wept endlessly into its still soft hair, it's heart became forever lost. Now he was the one who had lost his love, his world, his depth to which no one else could reach, his challenge, and his undoing. Now he too laid out with the others who had fallen, because now that he stood at the edge of the world without a way back or anything to support him, there was nothing left to do but fall. And so fall he did, right into the place fate had created for him.