Chapter 11

Theft in the Dark (Old)

Fea opened the doors and got into the back of their army truck with Choro, her husky. Inside, there was a bunk-bed, a dog bed, and boxes full of supplies everywhere. Chanyeol was outside throwing camouflage netting all over the truck. She got up on the top bunk, which was hers, and Choro curled up in his bed and went to sleep. The girl sat on her bed with her legs dangling over the side. She lightly swung them as she waited for Chanyeol. When he got in the truck and shut the doors behind him, she laid down. Fea quickly got comfy under her covers. "Oppa, when will you let me drive? I'm eighteen now, and that's when I'm supposed to learn how to drive." It was the same conversation they had been having at least one night a week since her eighteenth birthday, four months ago.

Chanyeol sighed and got into his bed, the bottom bunk. "The truck is too big for a little girl like you. Maybe when you're twenty.", he replied with a yawn. He was exhausted from driving them around nearly all day every day to loot houses.

"But you started driving when you were only seventeen!", she argued.

"Those were special circumstances. One of us had to drive this thing and I was not going to let a thirteen year-old get behind the wheel. A second driver isn't really in critical demand right now. I don't know why you want to drive so badly though. It isn't as glamorous as you probably think it is.", Chanyeol got comfortable under his blanket, rolled over onto his side, and then shut his eyes. "Now don't fight with me anymore, you know I don't like arguing with you, but I'm serious about this. Please get some rest, we're almost to Seoul. If we head out in the morning then we should be there by dinnertime."

Fea sighed and decided to give up for now, since Chanyeol did not seem like he would ever budge on the subject. She just wanted to drive, because it would give her something to do. Always sitting in the passenger's seat with Choro in her lap watching the deserted landscape roll by all day wasn't really all that exciting. At least they would be in Seoul soon. Seoul had to be full of all sorts of amazing things. They had heard only recently that Seoul had been rebuilt by survivors as a place of refuge for all other survivors in the district. Rumors of other cities in other districts built for a similar purpose were also heard, but Seoul was closest to them. 

The two fell asleep fairly quickly, but were always on alert still of course. When you drive a large truck full of supplies around in this chaotic new world, people always try to take that from you. They had learned to sleep lightly from all their experiences with people trying to take what is theirs. There were no such people disturbing them this night however.

In the morning, Fea got up and went on a quick walk around with Choro to let him do his business before they set off for Seoul again. On their walk, she stopped for a minute when she discovered a little sprout coming out of the ground. Curiously, she kneeled down beside it, and gently brushed over one of the two tiny leaves it had with her thumb. "You're such a cute little thing. I wonder what you'll grow up to be", she said, and then headed back to the truck. After looking through the boxes for something useful, she found a small tupperware container. She decided that she'd take the plant with her since she doubted it would get much rain out in this wasteland. Fea went back to the sprout and dug it out carefully with her hands. She made not to disturb the roots as she transferred the hunk of dirt into the tupperware. Then she put some more dirt in the container to fill in the cracks. "What do you think it'll be Choro? Maybe some food? Or maybe just a pretty flower... Oh! What if it's a tree? Wouldn't it be cool to have our own tree? Oh wait we already have Chanyeol....", she laughed a bit as she talked to Choro. The dog her face, so she got up quickly to avoid it,"yah~", she whined and took the container with the plant in it back to the truck. She put it in the front of the truck up on the dashboard.

Chanyeol was busy opening up a couple cans of preserved peaches and pears for their breakfast. When he saw Fea he handed her an open can of peaches and a spoon. "Eat up quick, we're almost there and I'd really like to get there today", he said. After he'd opened a can of peaches and a can of pears for them each he started eating.

"You're really in a hurry to get there huh? Just what are we gonna do when we get there? Do you have a plan? Is someone gonna meet us there? What about the truck? I'm sure once anyone gets a look at all the stuff we have they'll make us fork it over just to be allowed in the city", Fea questioned the older curiously, since Chanyeol really hadn't told her much about this trip. To be fair she never really asked about it much before now. One day they just heard over the radio in the truck that cities had been rebuilt with giant dome-like structures to stand forever as a place for refugees. After that they set off for Seoul, knowing they couldn't stay in their hometown forever, since it'd been reduced to only ash and dust.

"I'm in a hurry to get there, because there will be people from all over the district there. Somebody has to know something of what's happened to Baekhyun. I doubt he left the district, so maybe he could be in Seoul too, or on his way to it. We'll bury everything in the truck. Then we'll hide the truck, and head into the city with enough to eat for a week, plus a couple blankets for sleeping. We can't take much in there or I'm sure they will try to shake us down. We'll stay there for a week at most. I'm sure in a week we'll have learned all there possibly is useful to know about Baekhyun's whereabouts. I advise that you don't start making friends when we get there, but I understand you probably want a little outside contact after being stuck with me for five years.... So, do as you please while I'm investigating. Just know that we're leaving in a week no matter what, and don't get in any trouble.

Fea grinned devilishly when Chanyeol told her not to get into trouble,"Ah you know me~ No promises, but I will not get us into MAJOR trouble, okay? Maybe a little, but just a little~", she teased.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and flicked her forehead,"No trouble whatsoever, missy", he lightly scolded and finished up eating his breakfast. Then he put the spoon he used away before getting in the driver's seat of the truck. After that, Fea quickly finished up too and shut the doors of the truck with Choro in the back laying on Chanyeol's bunk. When she got in on the passenger's side it was quiet from then on. Chanyeol did not question the plant on the dashboard. His mind seemed to be elsewhere as he drove. It looked like his body was on autopilot as his mind wandered, and that's exactly what it was. Baekhyun filled every corner of his mind. He just couldn't think of anything else until he found him.